chiefbrody

Re: League

Post by chiefbrody »

Early call for the Jays!!!
Denver Broncos - AFFL
RyanM

Post by RyanM »

I think doing a baseball league similar to the football league is going to be really challenging. Baseball is a stat driven sport more so than any other one. In this league we only have to put in a few stats & then let the grades take over. On top of that it's only for 16 games.

I would love a baseball league driven off actual stats for the year, but to add all the components of fielding, bullpen use, hitting situations (sacrifice, hit & run, etc), steals, ballpark adjustments, yada yada yada.......it's going to take quite a bit of code writing.
Ryan McKnight
Seattle GM - AFFL
Seattle GM - EFFL
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

RyanM wrote:I think doing a baseball league similar to the football league is going to be really challenging. Baseball is a stat driven sport more so than any other one. In this league we only have to put in a few stats & then let the grades take over. On top of that it's only for 16 games.

I would love a baseball league driven off actual stats for the year, but to add all the components of fielding, bullpen use, hitting situations (sacrifice, hit & run, etc), steals, ballpark adjustments, yada yada yada.......it's going to take quite a bit of code writing.
You said it! It will be, and that's why I'm not sure it's all going to happen but I hope to devote a lot of time to it this winter because the sim baseball situation seems like it could use something like that with some of the difficulties with diamond mind not doing projections any more, etc.

My guess is that it'll get up an running with the basics and have to evolve from there with more levels of complexity. Kind of like the football sim where there is still a lot of room for improvement in more complex elements like playcalling and game management, but we went from something without much of that to get it going as a work-in-progress and then added those layers throughout the first year to where at least there is some of that complexity in there now for basic decision-making principles and things functions somewhat realistically with limited mistakes (although some still to be perfected).

Baseball is an important one for me not just because I'm a big fan but I have a ton of baseball domains and previous plans for sites that I'd like to integrate with the league to share some of the same data and rankings, etc. So it's definitely a big challenge but something I'm going to try to tackle and we can do some tests on game simulations hopefully in the early months next year to see if it's workable to get a league going using that or not.

There definitely is a lot more data. Instead of entering individual games as we do now and people assist with that, we'd stagger our season a bit behind the MLB schedule and if it works I'll come up with a way of gathering all the overall stats or individual game logs to upload to the database without having to manually enter each.

Don't know for sure that we'll be able to climb that mountain of a project, but I'd like to. Also hoping a couple side business projects really start taking off here soon and I can perhaps leave my full-time job and start working from home more on individual projects like this and others. But it's an uncertain situation now how much time I'll have between now and next season, but certainly something I'll at least investigate to see if doable. I have a really basic baseball sim now from attempts last year that I just need to keep throwing those additional layers into as well as finding an efficient way to bring in stats than how we do them now for football.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
Andrew P

Post by Andrew P »

If you want someone to work on Budgets for the baseball system I would be happy to help.
GM Record 51-19
Dan R.

Post by Dan R. »

I'd be happy to help in any way if it gets this off the ground.

As a fellow programmer, if you want to bounce any logic ideas off me, I'd be happy to help that way too.
CFFL Houston Texans GM
Lifetime Record - 41-23 (0-2 Postseason)
larry linke

Post by larry linke »

While i am the exact opposite of a computer programmer (polite term for computer illiterate), I am a big baseball fan and will help in any way possible. I am also putting an early call in for the Mets.

Thanks

Larry
Minnesota
Nathan S.

Post by Nathan S. »

Bud Selig I'd be happy to help if needed. I've got time and some knowledge of baseball, just no computer programming skills.
GM Tampa Bay Buccaneers - AFFL
Michael D.

Post by Michael D. »

I'm always willing to help out in any way I can, which happens to be pretty much everything but computer programming.
AFFL Carolina Panthers
CFFL Bowl I Champions (NYG)
Joe

Post by Joe »

^^^ What he said!
Joe Militzer
Baltimore Ravens GM Affl
Cleveland Browns GM Cffl
Minnesota Vikings GM Dffl
Dan R.

Post by Dan R. »

Since people are putting in early calls, I'll do one for the Phils. I never get to be a Philadelphia team no matter which sim/dynasty league I'm in :(
CFFL Houston Texans GM
Lifetime Record - 41-23 (0-2 Postseason)