Possible Basic Cap Structure

Goodell

Re: Possible Basic Cap Structure

Post by Goodell »

I think we'll get there, but first focused on getting enough GMs and team assignments this week, contacting people who expressed interest previously, reaching out to other fans possibly, etc. Then will get into more specifics and rules writing, etc. once we have a known group of participants and everybody there for that process. But I certainly encourage discussions and different opinions even now before many of our league members know about the site yet as we've had to have some preliminary discussions to even know if we could think about starting a league this way, but things won't really be set until that next phase after all league participants here with some say and when teams assigned and then we can have full involvement in polls, etc. and I can sit down and hammer out the rules and scripts to go along with them and some of the rules shifted to go along with what can be technically done. Thanks!
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

I'm also working to get the multi-sport thing going in general for the menus and forums and icons, and will set up a basketball league group once we have all the members -- and I'm also going to try to look at a no-basketball group (as well as no-football, no-baseball, no-hockey, etc.) so that our football GMS who have no interest in basketball won't have that thrown into their new posts results always and can just focus on what they were interested in.
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Dustin S. wrote:... really, we aren't affected by being over the luxary tax, since we can't be taxed, unles troy decides that everyone has to "donate" if they are over the luxary tax threshold. which would be an intereting thing to do.
When I've thought about trying to keep things realer with basketball and baseball leagues that do not have hard caps but some kind of tax structure, I've thought about that kind of financial "penalty" similar to owners paying it.

Instead of to me, though, might be interesting to go into a pot. And maybe winner of the league that year takes the pot or playoff teams split it up. If nobody goes over, maybe no funds available to the winner that year. If another year several teams go over and are "taxed" maybe a fairly significant purse to the winner in the form of an online gift certificate for the total collected taxed funds.

But that could also really take things toward those money-based fantasy leagues or maybe get into some gambling issues or further away from league intentions, or create more tension or trouble if a real prize on the line. An alternative to make it less about money would be to buy a league "trophy" prize that was more symbolic than financial like a book or fruit basket, etc.

We'll all have to take a hard look at the available options once the league membership is set next week, but there could be some interesting possibilities to consider.
Nathan S.

Post by Nathan S. »

You get to be Stern for a year!
GM Tampa Bay Buccaneers - AFFL
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Nathan S. wrote:You get to be Stern for a year!
Yeah, when the board was setup I registered accounts for Stern, Selig, and Bettman also. Will be lots of loggin in/out perhaps but a way to keep league messages and posts separated. I'll start using that after 8/8 for basketball stuff once I get things more setup for multi-sports.