Oh Man!!!!

Interested in joining a league or talking pro/college football with other serious fans?
Smooth Glitch

Re: Oh Man!!!!

Post by Smooth Glitch »

cool, will do.
in the end I would be very surprised if it isnt another uncapped year. We'll wait and see I guess.
Houston Texans AFFL
Reg. season: 91-87 (51.1%)
2012: 8-8
2013: 10-6
2014: 8-8
2015: 12-4 Playoffs:1-1
2016: 9-7
2017: 2-14
2018: 5-11
2019: 8-8
2020: 12-4
2021: 7-10
2022: 10-7 Playoffs 0-1
AFC South Champ: 2015
vikingfan

Post by vikingfan »

120M cap will create a few issues in CFFL too. Mainly CIN and some work to do for NYG to name a couple.
Onyxgem

Post by Onyxgem »

vikingfan wrote:120M cap will create a few issues in CFFL too. Mainly CIN and some work to do for NYG to name a couple.
Yeah if the cap is 120m there will be alot of issues in Fangm that is for sure.
Jared A

Post by Jared A »

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/67685 ... ource-says

sounds like 120mil with a one player exemption worth 3mil. so, our caps will be set at 123...
Nathan S.

Post by Nathan S. »

Awesome! Really helps a team like myself.
GM Tampa Bay Buccaneers - AFFL
Smooth Glitch

Post by Smooth Glitch »

Jared A wrote:http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/67685 ... ource-says

sounds like 120mil with a one player exemption worth 3mil. so, our caps will be set at 123...

looks like Jason LaCanfora is the new Adam Shefter of the NFL world.
Jared A

Post by Jared A »

I'm a believer that FANgm should incorporate sometype of one time rule. In real life, a lot of these teams moved money into last year... since it was uncapped. We should do something that eases the move to 120, to mimic reality... as they were eased into the 120 cap with last year's uncapped season.
Adam K

Post by Adam K »

Jared A wrote:I'm a believer that FANgm should incorporate sometype of one time rule. In real life, a lot of these teams moved money into last year... since it was uncapped. We should do something that eases the move to 120, to mimic reality... as they were eased into the 120 cap with last year's uncapped season.
I just read on ESPN.com:
Since February, the players have been willing to accept a $141 million player cost number -- which includes both salaries and benefits paid to players -- per team, multiple sources told Clayton. By agreeing to the $120 million cap, the players allow $21 million per team to be in benefits. Now that a cap number has been formed, teams need to determine the minimum cash payroll number, or what teams will be required to spend.
I assume those benefits are to help retired players. Not sure though.

On the other hand, if the cap is $120 - I think we should have been forced to deal with it. I am the last team that should want to because I am currently way over ... but in real life, there are going to be teams struggling with this new cap as well ... think it would be fun to go through this at the same time as the real NFL. BTW - The Bengals are f&@$*# in all leagues (real and fake)
Ben C.

Post by Ben C. »

From what I've read, there are actually two cap numbers floating out there. There is the oft-cited figure of $120 which is the pure salary figure. This is the amount of money teams pay in cash to players. Then there is also the salary plus benefits figure of $140+. This is cash + health care and retirement benefits to current players.

In FanGM, the question is whether we were using the salary figure or the benefits figure back in 2009. In that year, the salary cap was $128. What I can't figure out is whether that included things like Minimum Salary Benefit, Player Performance Benefit, etc. If it did, then it might make sense for us to use the $140+ figure.

Nevertheless, if we go with the $120 figure as our target, I think it is wise to at least discuss alternatives for the next year or two. Putting in a cap of $120 now would lead to massive player cuts which in turn would create an inflated market of quality players that the teams with cap room would be able to lock up for years to come. It seems to me to be sensible to drop the cap to $130 for 2011 and then possibly match the NFL's cap for 2012. Then the teams (like my AFFL Arizona) that were expecting something like $145 would be forced to make some major changes but we wouldn't have a huge market of players to be split amongst the 5-10 teams that have cap space.
AFFL Arizona - General Manager
Regular Season Record - 174-66-1
Playoff Record - 13-12
AFFL Bowl Record - 0-2

2x NFC Champions - 2010, 2016
11x NFC West Champions - 2007-12, 2014-15, 2017-18, 2021
AFFL History
vikingfan

Post by vikingfan »

Ben C. wrote:From what I've read, there are actually two cap numbers floating out there. There is the oft-cited figure of $120 which is the pure salary figure. This is the amount of money teams pay in cash to players. Then there is also the salary plus benefits figure of $140+. This is cash + health care and retirement benefits to current players.

In FanGM, the question is whether we were using the salary figure or the benefits figure back in 2009. In that year, the salary cap was $128. What I can't figure out is whether that included things like Minimum Salary Benefit, Player Performance Benefit, etc. If it did, then it might make sense for us to use the $140+ figure.

Nevertheless, if we go with the $120 figure as our target, I think it is wise to at least discuss alternatives for the next year or two. Putting in a cap of $120 now would lead to massive player cuts which in turn would create an inflated market of quality players that the teams with cap room would be able to lock up for years to come. It seems to me to be sensible to drop the cap to $130 for 2011 and then possibly match the NFL's cap for 2012. Then the teams (like my AFFL Arizona) that were expecting something like $145 would be forced to make some major changes but we wouldn't have a huge market of players to be split amongst the 5-10 teams that have cap space.
I guess I look at your scenario like you rolled the dice and lost. Unlucky break for you and the others that spent or in some cases overspent. Whatever happens, its going to be crazy.