Candidate Questions

Interested in joining a league or talking pro/college football with other serious fans?
Ben C.

Re: Candidate Questions

Post by Ben C. »

I don't think being a scout in AFFL would be necessary in order to get a team, but rather a factor in the decision. If you've proven yourself in the other leagues then you have a chance at coming up to the AFFL. No doubt about that. But what if there are two GMs that have both performed equally in the other leagues, but one of them has taken the time to also be a scout in the AFFL? I think the scout should be given a slight advantage.
AFFL Arizona - General Manager
Regular Season Record - 174-66-1
Playoff Record - 13-12
AFFL Bowl Record - 0-2

2x NFC Champions - 2010, 2016
11x NFC West Champions - 2007-12, 2014-15, 2017-18, 2021
AFFL History
Strategist

Post by Strategist »

Ben C. wrote:I don't think being a scout in AFFL would be necessary in order to get a team, but rather a factor in the decision. If you've proven yourself in the other leagues then you have a chance at coming up to the AFFL. No doubt about that. But what if there are two GMs that have both performed equally in the other leagues, but one of them has taken the time to also be a scout in the AFFL? I think the scout should be given a slight advantage.
Then you are saying that everyone should. I have been close the last 2 years at getting an AFFL team but now because I don't want to scout for a team I should be at a slight disadvantage to those that do? I just think that is not a good thing to factor in. I am sorry but I don't want to help someone else that I am competing against in another league and I definitely don't think that should be held against me.
DFFL - DAL 09-20: 113-63 .642 (6-5) 3X DIV Champs. 6 Playoff apps. DFFL Bowl I Champs
CFFL - NYG 10-12: 34-13-1 .708
AFFL - WAS 13-19: 53-59 .473 (5-3) '14, '15, & '17 Div, '17 AFC Champs
FFFL - PIT 16-17: 45-19 .703 (3-3) '16-18 Div, 16' AFC Champs
Michael D.

Post by Michael D. »

I'm not gonna say it is going to help out or hinder becoming a GM in this league, but I think it'll add to the competitiveness of the AFFL and help get GMs just on the outside of the AFFL an opportunity to feel around.
AFFL Carolina Panthers
CFFL Bowl I Champions (NYG)
Ben C.

Post by Ben C. »

Strategist wrote: Then you are saying that everyone should. I have been close the last 2 years at getting an AFFL team but now because I don't want to scout for a team I should be at a slight disadvantage to those that do? I just think that is not a good thing to factor in. I am sorry but I don't want to help someone else that I am competing against in another league and I definitely don't think that should be held against me.
I'm just viewing it as a factor similar to networking. Knowing people in the AFFL and interacting with them can do nothing but help you get into the league, and this is simply intended as another way to be involved.

As for sharing information with a competitor, I'm not asking people to give me input and then not give anything in return. I'm offering up as much information on players as I'm expecting to get in return. Furthermore, there have been a few different instances the last year or two of people from the AFFL teaming up to lead a team in one of the other leagues. They must share player evaluations just as much as would occur here.
AFFL Arizona - General Manager
Regular Season Record - 174-66-1
Playoff Record - 13-12
AFFL Bowl Record - 0-2

2x NFC Champions - 2010, 2016
11x NFC West Champions - 2007-12, 2014-15, 2017-18, 2021
AFFL History
Michael D.

Post by Michael D. »

Ben C. wrote:
Strategist wrote: Then you are saying that everyone should. I have been close the last 2 years at getting an AFFL team but now because I don't want to scout for a team I should be at a slight disadvantage to those that do? I just think that is not a good thing to factor in. I am sorry but I don't want to help someone else that I am competing against in another league and I definitely don't think that should be held against me.
I'm just viewing it as a factor similar to networking. Knowing people in the AFFL and interacting with them can do nothing but help you get into the league, and this is simply intended as another way to be involved.

As for sharing information with a competitor, I'm not asking people to give me input and then not give anything in return. I'm offering up as much information on players as I'm expecting to get in return. Furthermore, there have been a few different instances the last year or two of people from the AFFL teaming up to lead a team in one of the other leagues. They must share player evaluations just as much as would occur here.
See RoyceShark
AFFL Carolina Panthers
CFFL Bowl I Champions (NYG)
tino38

Post by tino38 »

Really no difference between this fangm league and the real nfl strategist. In the nfl scouts give advice to gm's all the time, but if they have the opportunity to become a gm of another team they take that right away and they take their strategy with them. just part of the business
BRFL Saints (31-20) (3-0)
- NFCS Champ: 23’
- NFC Champ: 23’
- SB Champ 23’
AFFL Patriots (97-82) (8-4)
-AFCE Champ: 16', 22’, 23’
-AFC Champ: 22’
-SB Champ: 22’
DFFL Jets - SB Champ 21’ & 22’
FFFL Jets - SB Champ 17’ & 18’
Ulrich82

Post by Ulrich82 »

The more I think about it, the less I like asking people to give up another team to enter the AFFL. I understand wanting to make openings for new people, but it seems there are several AFFL managers with teams in other leagues. I would like to get an AFFL team, but I really don't want to give up the CFFL team that I have spent a lot of time on. If you already have two teams, I understand giving one up, but if it isn't uncommon for AFFL managers to have another team, why should we prioritize people willing to give up a second team?

Also, while I know the AFFL is the alpha league and getting new owners into the CFFL and DFFL is good, I worry about losing good owners in the CFFL and DFFL just so they can move up. I'm happy to welcome hoopie44641 to the CFFL, but Smooth Glitch was doing an excellent job building a good team, and I was looking forward to competing against him for the NFC West over the next several season (and Sea and Ari, but Stl and SF have been the top two teams there the past two seasons).

If we want a way to get new owners involved while waiting for openings, I'd happily take on a new user as a scout/mentee role to discuss strategy and decisions. I definitely made a few mistakes in my first season that I could have avoided if I knew more about the leagues. Having new members work with an active GM for a season or two before getting a team of their own would help get them get acclimated to the specifics of these leagues. It also might help avoid a new member coming in, accidentally running a team into the ground, and then deciding they don't want to keep playing, leaving an opening but one with a team with few resources.

Also, if we have enough interest to start a new league with new members, I (and I am sure other GMs) would volunteer to join a team in an adviser role while leaving final say to the new GM.
CFFL SF 49ers since 2010
NFC West Champions: 2011, 2012, 2013 , 2014, 2015
Undefeated 2013-2014 Regular Season

AFFL:
Assistant GM with Car Panthers since 2012
Carolina Panthers GM Since 2014
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

The more I think about it, the less I like asking people to give up another team to enter the AFFL.
That's just the situation this year. Every year is a little different with the amount of people without teams on the wait list actively ready to go. We wouldn't intentionally give someone multiple teams while somone else was actively wanting their first team. We've been at 3 leagues now for a while and spots getting tigher as wait lists grow. Time to add additional opportunites, hopefully later this summer for new leagues and then there possibly won't be that same situation in the future if more openings overall for new people. This year just didn't have many spots for new guys and have to give someone their first team before someone else multiple teams.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
Royce R

Post by Royce R »

I messaged a bunch of new guys about being a Co GM for my dffl team in hopes of finding a good person to take it over. Hoopie was the only one who replied and declined.
AFFL - Titans GM since 2007
96 - 62 - 2 regular season
6 playoff appearances
4 division titles
2 conference titles
1 AFFL title
whteshark

Post by whteshark »

Michael D. wrote:
Ben C. wrote:

See RoyceShark
Royce and I our competitors in AFFL. I consider him one of my greatest and finest rivals. We have faced off in two AFC Championships, splitting the difference, and both going on to win AFFL Bowls.

With that said we do share information with our CFFL team and it doesn't affect our AFFL teams at all. Alot of times it's just input about trades, salary cap issues, and potential prospects. We both like to win and we both have the same ideas on what we want our team to look like. It's been a great experience.

I never would have gotten to see CFFL without it. Plus, it's a lot of fun to bounce ideas off each other like a real NFL War Room.

I would highly recommend the experience for GM's who have a team but want more to do or for prospective GM's looking for a foot in the door into these leagues or to get some experience under their belt before they take over their own team. As Ben said it can't hurt you to network with AFFL GM's. We have some stellar GM's like Ben, Sport, Sooner, Jared, Onyx, and Royce--just to name a few of the standouts--who have been here since the beginning and are as hard core as you can get.

Getting a chance to work with these guys is worth it whether you have a team or not.
Regular Season: 161-79-1
Playoff Appearances: 10 of 16
Division Titles: 9
Conference Titles: 5
Playoffs: 17-7
AFFL Bowls: 3-2

AFFL Bowl I Winner
AFFL Bowl IV Winner
AFFL Bowl VIII Winner