Rule discussion for next year if not sooner

Royce R

Re: Rule discussion for next year if not sooner

Post by Royce R »

sportznut wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:53 pm
larry linke wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:47 pm My complaint is he acquired the player by paying $61,999,999 but when he goes to sign him long term one year later it is based on $2 M. For the record Royce and I had a very good conversation via DM and this isn't a Larry vs Royce thing.

The strength of Fan GM and what makes it the best league I have ever been in (since the mid 80's for baseball ) is its realism. Acquiring players this way isn't realistic. FanGM just finished its 17th year and for some reason nobody has ever done this before. Is it because most people agree with me that we want a realistic league and not a gimmick league which is run (and by my opinion) degraded by loopholes.

Larry
Its based on 10 salaries close to his overall grade. Top and bottom salaries thrown out. So, it averages 8 salaries, some above, and some below his grade. Yes, the 2M salary would be factored in, but so would 7 other salaries. In fact, the 2M is likely to be the lowest salary, and would be thrown out.

Anyways, I understand the concern.

Once Royce said I can't call him names, I lost interest. :lol:
Lol if you need to do a little name calling to get it off your chest I guess it's ok
AFFL - Titans GM since 2007
96 - 62 - 2 regular season
6 playoff appearances
4 division titles
2 conference titles
1 AFFL title
Ben C.

Post by Ben C. »

Quite honestly spending $62 million on a player for any long term strategy is crazy. As in extremely high risk, with questionable reward. If the player gets injured this year, that pretty much throws out a whole season by having so much of the cap allocated to a single player. Even in the best case scenario for the team, the player will need to be Franchise tagged at usually absurd levels or LTC'd at a figure close to the franchise tag level (because highly rated players MUST be LTC'd at the franchise tag level, IIRC).

Overall my opinion is this is a dumb move by Royce so I welcome anyone else in the league to do it. It'll only make it easier for me to sign people when everyone's salary caps are locked up on just a few players.
AFFL Arizona - General Manager
Regular Season Record - 174-66-1
Playoff Record - 13-12
AFFL Bowl Record - 0-2

2x NFC Champions - 2010, 2016
11x NFC West Champions - 2007-12, 2014-15, 2017-18, 2021
AFFL History
sillegrant

Post by sillegrant »

I'm new but I've thought about this a lot. In our league we had a linebacker sign for %10 of what they signed for in real life and I'm sure If I signed that deal it would be okay, but in the interest of realism, I think there is room for improvement. Two suggestions:

Players should have a minimum starting offer in free agency. So instead of Jaylon Johnson taking offers for as little as 1 million, there should be a floor to what can be offered. Perhaps 10 million salary and 10 million Bonus per year because in reality if someone offers %10 of what is signed in real life, their agent won't even show the player the deal. The players in free agency need more of a voice in free agency. Maybe it could be what the player would start by asking for LTC amount, plus or minus %5-%10. It is more unrealistic for most free agents to sign the first offer they get.

This was mentioned but there should be a ratio of SB to Salary in bidding. I think it should be a lot more aggressive because there are very few teams that are struggling financially. I think it should be every 2 million in salary you should be allowed maximum of 5 million in SB, so 2/5 Ratio. I'm sure we can vote on other rates.

I'm sure nothing will be done till the offseason but vote for change, though I highly doubt majority will vote for any change at all. The Ire should absolutely not be on one GM because the majority of people voted against similar provisions so focus your anger on the offseason discussions.
FFFL ATL ~ 7-10