2013 RULES: GM Accountability

Do you like the idea of "firing" a sim GM?

No
13%
Yes - But only in AFFL and with easy standards to meet.
33%
Yes - But only in AFFL and with a higher standard.
15%
Yes - Across all leagues.
38%

Total votes: 60

Goodell

Re: 2013 RULES: GM Accountability

Post by Goodell »

It's split vote for AFFL only options or all. We'll be more cautious with that change here and discuss further amongst AFFL members further if the majority there want to add that and to what specific levels.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
tino38

Post by tino38 »

Goodell wrote:It's split vote for AFFL only options or all. We'll be more cautious with that change here and discuss further amongst AFFL members further if the majority there want to add that and to what specific levels.
New GMs who take over awful teams are exactly why I think it is unfair to hold this rule in the DFFL and CFFL. The GM of the CFFL Buccaneers and DFFL Titans are perfect examples of franchises that were completely run into the ground and will need some work.
BRFL Saints (31-20) (3-0)
- NFCS Champ: 23’
- NFC Champ: 23’
- SB Champ 23’
AFFL Patriots (97-82) (8-4)
-AFCE Champ: 16', 22’, 23’
-AFC Champ: 22’
-SB Champ: 22’
DFFL Jets - SB Champ 21’ & 22’
FFFL Jets - SB Champ 17’ & 18’
JonC

Post by JonC »

tino38 wrote:
Goodell wrote:It's split vote for AFFL only options or all. We'll be more cautious with that change here and discuss further amongst AFFL members further if the majority there want to add that and to what specific levels.
New GMs who take over awful teams are exactly why I think it is unfair to hold this rule in the DFFL and CFFL. The GM of the CFFL Buccaneers and DFFL Titans are perfect examples of franchises that were completely run into the ground and will need some work.
I'd agree with this to an extent. I still think 10 wins in 3 years should be attainable, even with just 2 wins in the first year, you'd need an improvement to 3 and then 5.
DFFL Steelers GM: '13-'22
Regular Season Record: 77-85 (.475)
Division Championships: ’13, ’14, ’19
AFC WC Team: ’20

AFFL Bills GM: '20-?
Regular Season Record: 20-30 (.400)

BRFL Chargers GM: '21-?
Regular Season Record: 17-17 (.500)
AFC WC Team: '22
RyanM

Post by RyanM »

JonC wrote:I'd agree with this to an extent. I still think 10 wins in 3 years should be attainable, even with just 2 wins in the first year, you'd need an improvement to 3 and then 5.
The only issue with the 10 wins might be whether or not a GM takes over a team so destitute in talent that it takes 3 years to make them playable. I love playing in the sim league, but the results don't exactly mirror what happens in the NFL where teams just catch another one having an off day. Plus, if you don't have a QB that starts on an NFL you're up a creek. Conversely, I think a GM that takes over a very talented team should be held to a higher standard than 10 wins over 3 years. I think we need to set the expectation when the team gets taken over & hold them to that number - be it 6 wins over 3 years or 30 wins over 3 years.
Ryan McKnight
Seattle GM - AFFL
Seattle GM - EFFL
JonC

Post by JonC »

I'm obviously incredibly late to the conversation, but it would seem to me that a baseline win total to reach would be great in terms of putting a team on probation. Perhaps if a team doesn't hit the wins total and has had declining/stagnant win totals during that three year period? Maybe if they don't hit the win total they are placed on probation and must achieve some level of improvement?
DFFL Steelers GM: '13-'22
Regular Season Record: 77-85 (.475)
Division Championships: ’13, ’14, ’19
AFC WC Team: ’20

AFFL Bills GM: '20-?
Regular Season Record: 20-30 (.400)

BRFL Chargers GM: '21-?
Regular Season Record: 17-17 (.500)
AFC WC Team: '22
Onyxgem

Post by Onyxgem »

I still think we are all here to have fun and enjoy this GAME, and to want to take away a guys team if they are active just cause they don't have enough wins is dumb at best.
Royce R

Post by Royce R »

Onyxgem wrote:I still think we are all here to have fun and enjoy this GAME, and to want to take away a guys team if they are active just cause they don't have enough wins is dumb at best.

Its no fun if you have a bunch of teams not trying, then it helps the talent build up on super teams. Thus making unrealistic teams. With all 32 teams trying to win every year you'll see the talent pool spread out more evenly and have more realistic results.

The game is suppose to be realistic. You don't see teams trying to go 0 - 16 to get the first overall pick in real life. And you sure dont see the same GM there after they do, they get to see someone else have fun with the first pick.
AFFL - Titans GM since 2007
96 - 62 - 2 regular season
6 playoff appearances
4 division titles
2 conference titles
1 AFFL title
Onyxgem

Post by Onyxgem »

Royce R wrote:
Onyxgem wrote:I still think we are all here to have fun and enjoy this GAME, and to want to take away a guys team if they are active just cause they don't have enough wins is dumb at best.

Its no fun if you have a bunch of teams not trying, then it helps the talent build up on super teams. Thus making unrealistic teams. With all 32 teams trying to win every year you'll see the talent pool spread out more evenly and have more realistic results.

The game is suppose to be realistic. You don't see teams trying to go 0 - 16 to get the first overall pick in real life. And you sure dont see the same GM there after they do, they get to see someone else have fun with the first pick.
This is still a game anyway you look at it and if another person is active and doing stuff and is having fun I am 100% against taking away his team no matter what. This is not real life we are doing there this is a game where people have fun and it is not up to you or me to tell somebody else how to have their fun with their team.
whteshark

Post by whteshark »

I'm with Royce and Ben--it's no fun to watch GM's fail to show up for free agency or the draft to protect their teams when there are GM's that want to get into any league and there are GM's that want to move up to a more competitive league. It's no fun to know that it's useless to trade with certain teams because they're never on and never active. It's no fun to watch GM's tank their seasons over and over again. Plus, it ruins the integrity of the game when some teams get powder puff schedules.

And if we're like the other leagues why do we recruit the best GM's from the other leagues? Why not just let anybody in this league? It's not hard to win 10 games over three seasons. If it is hard for some GM's I would suggest Yahoo Fantasy Football for those that just want to have fun.

I don't understand, Oynx, you're one the best GM's in this game because you're active; a smart football guy; and you take care of your team. Why would you want to protect those GM's that consistently ignore their teams and consistently tank their seasons?

We're only talking about AFFL and holding just AFFL to a higher standard.
Regular Season: 161-79-1
Playoff Appearances: 10 of 16
Division Titles: 9
Conference Titles: 5
Playoffs: 17-7
AFFL Bowls: 3-2

AFFL Bowl I Winner
AFFL Bowl IV Winner
AFFL Bowl VIII Winner
Onyxgem

Post by Onyxgem »

whteshark wrote:I'm with Royce and Ben--it's no fun to watch GM's fail to show up for free agency or the draft to protect their teams when there are GM's that want to get into any league and there are GM's that want to move up to a more competitive league. It's no fun to know that it's useless to trade with certain teams because they're never on and never active. It's no fun to watch GM's tank their seasons over and over again. Plus, it ruins the integrity of the game when some teams get powder puff schedules.

And if we're like the other leagues why do we recruit the best GM's from the other leagues? Why not just let anybody in this league? It's not hard to win 10 games over three seasons. If it is hard for some GM's I would suggest Yahoo Fantasy Football for those that just want to have fun.

I don't understand, Oynx, you're one the best GM's in this game because you're active; a smart football guy; and you take care of your team. Why would you want to protect those GM's that consistently ignore their teams and consistently tank their seasons?

We're only talking about AFFL and holding just AFFL to a higher standard.
I am not talking about guys who show up twice a year during FA and draft either, everytime i have posted i made sure to put ACTIVE OWNER in there. Guys who make trades and respond to others but just can't get a good team together even though they are trying and having fun, those teams shouldn't be taken away from their owners....as for GM's who show up during FA and Draft and that is it...that is not being active