Tanking

Onyxgem

Re: Tanking

Post by Onyxgem »

jacobsaces wrote:
tino38 wrote:
Strategist wrote:What really bothers me is they are affecting the people who have put in a lot of work to field a winner but are having their chances of making the playoffs affected by people losing to teams that they may not have had they started their best players.
This is what bothers me the most. They are affecting, or not affecting, the wild card races by not putting out their best performance. A loss of cap space would be fine with me too. If you fold at the beginning of the season, then everyone on that schedule is playing same caliber roster. But if you bench players in weeks 14-17 that's just not right. I'd be perfectly fine with a 500K-1M loss of cap space per game that this was done. That would send a message as well I believe.
It may be for a different reason but teams do bench their starters at end of the season resting for playoffs or trying out younger options. Our league does not reflect this so in a way those teams that are doing it to tank are replacing those that would if they could before playoff time. What is worse to me is the teams that are not trying from the beginning (which sounds opposite of your thought) but ungodly amounts of draft picks is absurd. If you had 4 1st rounders that might be a record. (Anyone know the answer to that) but double digit 1st round picks? GM's would get fired for such absurdity and obvious losing.
Completely different from the discussion we are having, and not as bad as teams who make some teams face them at full strength and then GIVE wins to other teams by benching QB's like P. Manning.
tino38

Post by tino38 »

jacobsaces wrote:
tino38 wrote:
Strategist wrote:It may be for a different reason but teams do bench their starters at end of the season resting for playoffs or trying out younger options. Our league does not reflect this so in a way those teams that are doing it to tank are replacing those that would if they could before playoff time. What is worse to me is the teams that are not trying from the beginning (which sounds opposite of your thought) but ungodly amounts of draft picks is absurd. If you had 4 1st rounders that might be a record. (Anyone know the answer to that) but double digit 1st round picks? GM's would get fired for such absurdity and obvious losing.

Well I think that is a completely different topic for discussion. What I'm talking about is how weeks 1-12 in the DFFL Indy played Manning. He had a huge impact on the wild card races. In those weeks they beat San Francisco Seattle and Denver. In weeks 13-16 so far he's played Ryan Fitzpatrick over Manning. Lost games to Tennessee, Houston, and Kansas City. Not saying he would have won any of those games, but why is it fair that he plays hard for 12 games and then coasts for the rest?

SF is in a battle for the #1 or #2 seed now and had Indy sat Peyton more than likely SF would have it locked up. Seattle is fighting for that final Wild Card spot, but had Indy sat Peyton Seattle could have perhaps won and be sitting in the drivers seat for the NFC last WC spot. Denver was fortunate, their loss did not have an impact on the playoffs but had they not lost to Peyton and instead beat Indy, they would still be alive for the #2 seed in the AFC.

On the reverse side, had Indy played Peyton the final weeks, who knows if they would have beat Tennessee, KC, or Houston. All 3 losses had impacts not only on the wild card races but also with the seeding of the AFC if you take into consideration what a win over Houston could have done. Not mentioned here is a team like Pittsburgh. They could end up missing the playoffs, however had Indy played it out, the whole AFC could look different, thus the benching has had a major impact on quite a few teams these last few weeks. I don't care if one wants to sell for picks at the beginning of the season, but I'm not a fan of just benching and reshaping playoff races. Too many teams put in a bunch of time to just get screwed over like this.
BRFL Saints (31-20) (3-0)
- NFCS Champ: 23’
- NFC Champ: 23’
- SB Champ 23’
AFFL Patriots (97-82) (8-4)
-AFCE Champ: 16', 22’, 23’
-AFC Champ: 22’
-SB Champ: 22’
DFFL Jets - SB Champ 21’ & 22’
FFFL Jets - SB Champ 17’ & 18’
jacobsaces

Post by jacobsaces »

It's not completely different if it's my opinion that it's worse. Teams really do bench players. No I'm not a fan of manning getting benched and if this discussion decides to fine or whatever for future times it happens I'm ok with that. But to the guy with 17 1st round draft picks I'm sorry but that is much worse. There are several teams that play guys who are not the best players at their position but for whatever reason in the NFL often salary the best player does not always play. It is far more realistic for Manning to get benched then it is for a team to accumulate all those draft picks. I don't honestly think a gm could keep his job if he did it. And what if my team had been healthy this season? What if The replacement refs gave GB the touchdown. What if joe Thiesman did not break his leg or Barry sanders decide not to retire. I'm sorry you guys were talking about tanking and to me it is tanking and far worse when you give up from the beginning.
Onyxgem

Post by Onyxgem »

jacobsaces wrote:It's not completely different if it's my opinion that it's worse. Teams really do bench players. No I'm not a fan of manning getting benched and if this discussion decides to fine or whatever for future times it happens I'm ok with that. But to the guy with 17 1st round draft picks I'm sorry but that is much worse. There are several teams that play guys who are not the best players at their position but for whatever reason in the NFL often salary the best player does not always play. It is far more realistic for Manning to get benched then it is for a team to accumulate all those draft picks. I don't honestly think a gm could keep his job if he did it. And what if my team had been healthy this season? What if The replacement refs gave GB the touchdown. What if joe Thiesman did not break his leg or Barry sanders decide not to retire. I'm sorry you guys were talking about tanking and to me it is tanking and far worse when you give up from the beginning.
Teams don't bench players unless they have a divison clinched or else the players play and it is nowhere near as bad cause in this case he played best QB in football against part of the teams and a QB with no updates against the other if you can't see how that is a problem then not much else I can help you with. If you can find any single team with 17 first round picks then i would love to see that team.

Tanking is 100% worse than just rebuilding and if you can't see the different then that is your problem.
jacobsaces

Post by jacobsaces »

Onyxgem wrote:
jacobsaces wrote:It's not completely different if it's my opinion that it's worse. Teams really do bench players. No I'm not a fan of manning getting benched and if this discussion decides to fine or whatever for future times it happens I'm ok with that. But to the guy with 17 1st round draft picks I'm sorry but that is much worse. There are several teams that play guys who are not the best players at their position but for whatever reason in the NFL often salary the best player does not always play. It is far more realistic for Manning to get benched then it is for a team to accumulate all those draft picks. I don't honestly think a gm could keep his job if he did it. And what if my team had been healthy this season? What if The replacement refs gave GB the touchdown. What if joe Thiesman did not break his leg or Barry sanders decide not to retire. I'm sorry you guys were talking about tanking and to me it is tanking and far worse when you give up from the beginning.
Teams don't bench players unless they have a divison clinched or else the players play and it is nowhere near as bad cause in this case he played best QB in football against part of the teams and a QB with no updates against the other if you can't see how that is a problem then not much else I can help you with. If you can find any single team with 17 first round picks then i would love to see that team.

Tanking is 100% worse than just rebuilding and if you can't see the different then that is your problem.
I did not say I don't see a problem with it. Handing out fines taking away draft picks I'm ok with that. Read my post. I simply am saying your draft pick accumulation is worse and less realistic that's all. Maybe manning slept with the owners wife? Marcus Allen was still a pretty good back when he was benched. Again only saying it's more realistic not saying I like it. You won't see me benching my guys unless maybe I play you and don't want you to get the top pick. Sorry 17 in 2 years is how many you have.
Onyxgem

Post by Onyxgem »

jacobsaces wrote:
Onyxgem wrote:

I did not say I don't see a problem with it. Handing out fines taking away draft picks I'm ok with that. Read my post. I simply am saying your draft pick accumulation is worse and less realistic that's all. Maybe manning slept with the owners wife? Marcus Allen was still a pretty good back when he was benched. Again only saying it's more realistic not saying I like it. You won't see me benching my guys unless maybe I play you and don't want you to get the top pick. Sorry 17 in 2 years is how many you have.
At least a team rebuilding has the same team on the field from day 1 so his opponents don't get screwed over late in the year. And lets face it not everything here is realistic with the NFL period.
tino38

Post by tino38 »

Accumulating picks for a rebuild doesn't bug me. That affects that team. Sitting players in the finals weeks affects more than just their team. We are going to have to agree to disagree here Jacob. I think the selling of players for picks is a discussion for a completely different forum page.
BRFL Saints (31-20) (3-0)
- NFCS Champ: 23’
- NFC Champ: 23’
- SB Champ 23’
AFFL Patriots (97-82) (8-4)
-AFCE Champ: 16', 22’, 23’
-AFC Champ: 22’
-SB Champ: 22’
DFFL Jets - SB Champ 21’ & 22’
FFFL Jets - SB Champ 17’ & 18’
TylerW

Post by TylerW »

Like others have said, it should be in a different topic but if you take issue with a team stacking 17 1st round picks over the next 2 years then you should also take issue with teams that have 3 total picks over the next 2 years. I think if you take each of those situations and apply them to real life, the GM with 3 total picks over the next 2 years is more likely to be fired.

Plus, these hypotheticals like Manning sleeping with the GM's wife is a little ridiculous and seves no purpose. These leagues have no external factors other than playing your best rated players or those providing the best update possible. Benching a top 10 fantasy QB and then not putting a top fantasy RB in the #1 depth position is far worse for the league than draft pick stocking.
GM SD Chargers CFFL
Franchise Record: 72-23-1 (Playoffs: 4-5)
-2008,2009,2010,2011,2013 AFC West Division Champions
-2008 AFC Champions
GM NY Giants AFFL
Franchise Record: 4-44
kevinl

Post by kevinl »

Jacob- you should let Stl beat you. That is the best way to get him back.
Onyxgem

Post by Onyxgem »

kevinl wrote:Jacob- you should let Stl beat you. That is the best way to get him back.
yeah so benefits you? how about you stay on topic and discuss and maybe bring something worth while to the conversation instead of garbage?