Tanking

Nathan S.

Re: Tanking

Post by Nathan S. »

TylerW wrote:Like others have said, it should be in a different topic but if you take issue with a team stacking 17 1st round picks over the next 2 years then you should also take issue with teams that have 3 total picks over the next 2 years. I think if you take each of those situations and apply them to real life, the GM with 3 total picks over the next 2 years is more likely to be fired.
Not sure I agree. I've not had too many picks the past two years but I've improved my wins each of the past couple years. Trading picks to people who hoard them like gold is an easy way to get good, proven players fast.

I went from 4 (I think) wins to the playoffs in two years largely in part to trading picks for players.

EDIT: And I think fans in real life would understand not having many picks if you were picking up solid, proven players because of it.
GM Tampa Bay Buccaneers - AFFL
whteshark

Post by whteshark »

We're all here to have fun but this game is still a game. It takes away from the game when people "tank" or consistently put bad teams out there year in and year out due to ignorance or just plain laziness. There's alot of football fanatics who are trying to get into these leagues. It's a bummer they have to wait while a few bad apples wreck their teams year in and year out.

If you're not here to win I don't know what you're doing here. There's a couple of theories on how to rebuild floating around out there....and one is you blow the team completely up and do a total rebuild. Oynx and Jared are famous/infamous for this. I don't agree with that theory but I don't have a problem with it because they might have a down year but they always rebound. They're active, smart GM's.

Tanking is ridiculous. Not taking care of your team is ridiculous. If you don't want to win; if it's too much for you there's always Yahoo FFB. This isn't basketball; this is football. You don't see it in the NFL because these players and coaches have pride.

Take pride in your team or step down and let somebody else who gives a shit have a turn.
Regular Season: 161-79-1
Playoff Appearances: 10 of 16
Division Titles: 9
Conference Titles: 5
Playoffs: 17-7
AFFL Bowls: 3-2

AFFL Bowl I Winner
AFFL Bowl IV Winner
AFFL Bowl VIII Winner
BrianMac

Post by BrianMac »

Well, well, well.... i just stumbled upon this thread. If you would see fit that I should be fired for benching Manning for the remaining 4 games then so be it. But I took this team over last off season with a lot of holes to fill and I attempted to fill them and make a run... once it was clear that I was not going to be able to put any sort of winning streak together I benched Manning. People talk about it as if I would have ran the table....doubt it. Most of the talent on my roster I brought in via FA or draft and I would have traded Manning if I could have but since I LTC'd him I had no choice. I can assure you this "tanking" from me will not happen again as I fully expect to trade Manning away this off season but put yourself in my shoes... Manning is dragging this dead horse of a team at a .500 winning % clip and hes making my draft pick take a hit. I did what I thought was best for the Colts, and if you want realism every GM looks out for their own team first. The issue you should be looking at is the issue of trade raping, without a trade committee some teams have fallen on very hard times and if and when the are abandoned there left with little to no assets. The fact that one team owns half of the 1st round to the drat this year and 8 1st round pick in 2015 is absurd and unrealistic. And do I fault that team for trade raping teams... nope... because hes not doing for the best interest of the league... hes just looking out for his own team, kinda the same thing I thought when I benched Manning for 4 games. Whats going to have more of a lasting impact on the league.... benching Manning for 4 games or letting a team amass 17 first round picks in a two year span. Even if he hits on 50% of his picks he will be a very strong team.. and with all those picks if you decide to franchise tag a player that's 8 less teams that can make an offer on him.
kevinl

Post by kevinl »

You did the right thing BrianMac. Those that complain should've won more games then to count on you to win. No problems from us here in NO.
Onyxgem

Post by Onyxgem »

BrianMac wrote:Well, well, well.... i just stumbled upon this thread. If you would see fit that I should be fired for benching Manning for the remaining 4 games then so be it. But I took this team over last off season with a lot of holes to fill and I attempted to fill them and make a run... once it was clear that I was not going to be able to put any sort of winning streak together I benched Manning. People talk about it as if I would have ran the table....doubt it. Most of the talent on my roster I brought in via FA or draft and I would have traded Manning if I could have but since I LTC'd him I had no choice. I can assure you this "tanking" from me will not happen again as I fully expect to trade Manning away this off season but put yourself in my shoes... Manning is dragging this dead horse of a team at a .500 winning % clip and hes making my draft pick take a hit. I did what I thought was best for the Colts, and if you want realism every GM looks out for their own team first. The issue you should be looking at is the issue of trade raping, without a trade committee some teams have fallen on very hard times and if and when the are abandoned there left with little to no assets. The fact that one team owns half of the 1st round to the drat this year and 8 1st round pick in 2015 is absurd and unrealistic. And do I fault that team for trade raping teams... nope... because hes not doing for the best interest of the league... hes just looking out for his own team, kinda the same thing I thought when I benched Manning for 4 games. Whats going to have more of a lasting impact on the league.... benching Manning for 4 games or letting a team amass 17 first round picks in a two year span. Even if he hits on 50% of his picks he will be a very strong team.. and with all those picks if you decide to franchise tag a player that's 8 less teams that can make an offer on him.

I didn't rape teams to get those picks Brian, I had top top end talent on my roster i Just didn't have depth and for 2 years in a row ran into major injuries that cost my team in the end so i decided to move guys for picks to try to change the depth issue. So you keep spouting off me raping teams is getting real old when it didn't happen at all.

Also your FACTS are a little off, for a team to own 1/2 the first round would be 15-16 picks...guess what I had 9 and have moved 3 of those....seems to be your are spewing alot of BS to cover the BS you pulled benching one of if NOT the best SIM player this year by far.
Chad55

Post by Chad55 »

It doesn't bother me that Brian benched Manning, or even that Onyx has 17 1st round picks. I see both guys making decisions on there own team, and that's it. Brian has had Manning on the block all year (I think) and it's just unfortunate that not many teams can make a move based on past trades. We don't have fans to consider, which in turn allows GM's to run there teams however they please.

There has been some VERY bad trades this year, (DFFL) but you have to put most of the blame on the GM who made the deals. Whoever takes that team over, will have a tough year or two ahead of them. It's unfortunate that he abandoned the team after those deals, but hopefully we will get an ACTIVE GM who will try and make something out of nothing!
AFFL-Cleveland Browns
-2013 AFC North Champs
-2014 AFC North Champs
-2016 AFC North Champs
-2018 AFC North Champs
-2020 AFC North Champs

FFFL Jacksonville
-2021 Super Bowl Champs
-2022 AFC Champs
*Retired after 2022 season*
BrianMac

Post by BrianMac »

Onyxgem wrote:
BrianMac wrote:Well, well, well.... i just stumbled upon this thread. If you would see fit that I should be fired for benching Manning for the remaining 4 games then so be it. But I took this team over last off season with a lot of holes to fill and I attempted to fill them and make a run... once it was clear that I was not going to be able to put any sort of winning streak together I benched Manning. People talk about it as if I would have ran the table....doubt it. Most of the talent on my roster I brought in via FA or draft and I would have traded Manning if I could have but since I LTC'd him I had no choice. I can assure you this "tanking" from me will not happen again as I fully expect to trade Manning away this off season but put yourself in my shoes... Manning is dragging this dead horse of a team at a .500 winning % clip and hes making my draft pick take a hit. I did what I thought was best for the Colts, and if you want realism every GM looks out for their own team first. The issue you should be looking at is the issue of trade raping, without a trade committee some teams have fallen on very hard times and if and when the are abandoned there left with little to no assets. The fact that one team owns half of the 1st round to the drat this year and 8 1st round pick in 2015 is absurd and unrealistic. And do I fault that team for trade raping teams... nope... because hes not doing for the best interest of the league... hes just looking out for his own team, kinda the same thing I thought when I benched Manning for 4 games. Whats going to have more of a lasting impact on the league.... benching Manning for 4 games or letting a team amass 17 first round picks in a two year span. Even if he hits on 50% of his picks he will be a very strong team.. and with all those picks if you decide to franchise tag a player that's 8 less teams that can make an offer on him.

I didn't rape teams to get those picks Brian, I had top top end talent on my roster i Just didn't have depth and for 2 years in a row ran into major injuries that cost my team in the end so i decided to move guys for picks to try to change the depth issue. So you keep spouting off me raping teams is getting real old when it didn't happen at all.

Also your FACTS are a little off, for a team to own 1/2 the first round would be 15-16 picks...guess what I had 9 and have moved 3 of those....seems to be your are spewing alot of BS to cover the BS you pulled benching one of if NOT the best SIM player this year by far.
Ok sorry you have 9 first round picks.... sorry I was off by a few.... I didn't have a problem with anything except for the current state of the Rams but since you were the one running your mouth the most over me benching Manning I felt obligated to point out what you have had a hand in doing to some teams in the league. I keep to myself for the most part in this league or any league that i'm in but if you want to start shit i'll chime in. I'm an active owner that will rebuild the Colts the way I see fit, the day I worry about what you think of how i'm running my team is the day I should quit. Furthermore it was suggested to me by another GM early in the season to just bench Manning from the start and I said to that GM that I couldn't do that I wanted to try and make a run with the players I signed and picked up via draft and trades... I am done defending myself, and if Troy see's me as a problem for doing this then I will walk away because I don't want to hurt all Troy's hard work or anyone's for that matter from making this league run smoothly. I had two good teams in AFFL & CFFL before and I knew that I would not have enough time to be active enough at that point in my life so I removed myself from those leagues.... and once again if i'm a problem I will walk away again.
Onyxgem

Post by Onyxgem »

BrianMac wrote:
Onyxgem wrote:

Ok sorry you have 9 first round picks.... sorry I was off by a few.... I didn't have a problem with anything except for the current state of the Rams but since you were the one running your mouth the most over me benching Manning I felt obligated to point out what you have had a hand in doing to some teams in the league. I keep to myself for the most part in this league or any league that i'm in but if you want to start shit i'll chime in. I'm an active owner that will rebuild the Colts the way I see fit, the day I worry about what you think of how i'm running my team is the day I should quit. Furthermore it was suggested to me by another GM early in the season to just bench Manning from the start and I said to that GM that I couldn't do that I wanted to try and make a run with the players I signed and picked up via draft and trades... I am done defending myself, and if Troy see's me as a problem for doing this then I will walk away because I don't want to hurt all Troy's hard work or anyone's for that matter from making this league run smoothly. I had two good teams in AFFL & CFFL before and I knew that I would not have enough time to be active enough at that point in my life so I removed myself from those leagues.... and once again if i'm a problem I will walk away again.
The only thing I had a hand in doing to some of the teams in the league was send them some over my very good players for picks. As for the state of the Rams, well you are going to have to actually go talk to the GM's who made trades with him since i never did.