Off-Season Topics

TylerW

Re: Off-Season Topics

Post by TylerW »

I think tanking officially needs to be discussed in the offseason. There's the competition committee who hasn't really done much since it was made that could easily go through and check for tanking. They could also help set the punishment for such issues.
GM SD Chargers CFFL
Franchise Record: 72-23-1 (Playoffs: 4-5)
-2008,2009,2010,2011,2013 AFC West Division Champions
-2008 AFC Champions
GM NY Giants AFFL
Franchise Record: 4-44
tino38

Post by tino38 »

TylerW wrote:I think tanking officially needs to be discussed in the offseason. There's the competition committee who hasn't really done much since it was made that could easily go through and check for tanking. They could also help set the punishment for such issues.
We have a committee for this?
BRFL Saints (31-20) (3-0)
- NFCS Champ: 23’
- NFC Champ: 23’
- SB Champ 23’
AFFL Patriots (97-82) (8-4)
-AFCE Champ: 16', 22’, 23’
-AFC Champ: 22’
-SB Champ: 22’
DFFL Jets - SB Champ 21’ & 22’
FFFL Jets - SB Champ 17’ & 18’
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

TylerW wrote:I think tanking officially needs to be discussed in the offseason. There's the competition committee who hasn't really done much since it was made that could easily go through and check for tanking. They could also help set the punishment for such issues.
Maybe there are others issues people want to talk about, but if the biggest issue there is people benching QB's, it was voted in previous off-season and approved in the past to allow the sim to bring in a QB replacement which would reduce the impact of benching a better QB. It's just something I hadn't had a chance to implement previously but will work to ahead. Benching top RBs or top WRs isn't so much an issue since their grades will count no matter in depth chart or not. If an elite RB/WR isn't in depth chart but has strong numbers compared to much weaker guys starting ahead of him, the game simulator already brings in top performing game updates even if they aren't in the depth chart so they'll get incorporated into the game no matter what a GM does.

In general I'm striving for automated systems that the game can resolve on its own as part of overall systems over subjective individual judgements and manual processes, although there are times when needed also.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
TylerW

Post by TylerW »

Goodell wrote:
Maybe there are others issues people want to talk about, but if the biggest issue there is people benching QB's, it was voted in previous off-season and approved in the past to allow the sim to bring in a QB replacement which would reduce the impact of benching a better QB. It's just something I hadn't had a chance to implement previously but will work to ahead. Benching top RBs or top WRs isn't so much an issue since their grades will count no matter in depth chart or not. If an elite RB/WR isn't in depth chart but has strong numbers compared to much weaker guys starting ahead of him, the game simulator already brings in top performing game updates even if they aren't in the depth chart so they'll get incorporated into the game no matter what a GM does.

In general I'm striving for automated systems that the game can resolve on its own as part of overall systems over subjective individual judgements and manual processes, although there are times when needed also.
It's not even so much as to how the sim handles it performance wise...I (and a lot of others agreed) just think it's a garbage thing for a team to attempt to tank.

I know the goal is to get everything automated but just making sure someone is starting their 100% healthy top 10 QB over their 4th string guy isn't something that 2 or 3 guys around here can't check on.

The league should be about GM accountability and starting Jeff Teul over Nick Foles late in the season is not that.
GM SD Chargers CFFL
Franchise Record: 72-23-1 (Playoffs: 4-5)
-2008,2009,2010,2011,2013 AFC West Division Champions
-2008 AFC Champions
GM NY Giants AFFL
Franchise Record: 4-44
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

One way is teams of people manually checking every roster across multiple leagues every week. Hopefully someday many more leagues with many, many more teams that individual people would have to manually monitor before every game.

Another way would just be having the game simulator recognize that a better QB is on the bench and replace the QB for the better guy within the game itself instantly.

I hear what you're saying and that there is frustration there. I wish I would have put a higher priority on that previously when that was supported by league votes. The sim coach can be setup in a way where it can't tank very much where the sim coach fields the best team possible automatically. Maybe the sim GM wants to try to tank and says the worse QB must start, but within the game on the field the sim coach can decide who he plays and ensure that's minimized giving the best players more of the game action.
Knighty Knight

Post by Knighty Knight »

I know we're still discussing off season changes but is there any time frame for when we flip the season calender and open up trading?
Brian Orr
AFFL New York Giants (48-51)(2-2) 2022, 2023 NFC East Champions
BRFL Washington Commanders (10-7)(0-1)
DFFL Miami Dolphins(103-76)(3-5) 2018 AFC East Champions
vikingfan

Post by vikingfan »

"LIKE" button clicked!!! :D
Knighty Knight wrote:I know we're still discussing off season changes but is there any time frame for when we flip the season calender and open up trading?
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Knighty Knight wrote:I know we're still discussing off season changes but is there any time frame for when we flip the season calender and open up trading?
To still be determined. I don't know yet even how many GMs will have to be replaced. Still looking at possible big free agency bid calculation updates per those discussions.

I tried to get a GM check-in and tagging up last weekend but still have some to do on that and hope to have that this weekend where we can start to see who checks in and who doesn't. Then we'll see how many GMs need to be replaced, and come to some conclusions on free agency updates.
Knighty Knight

Post by Knighty Knight »

Another question since I noticed we've updated for 2014 financials. I have two rookies who I signed from practice squad last season listed as UFA. Do we not do exclusive rights for players under a certain number of years experience like the NFL? Can't remember if it's 2 or 3 years but I should have the ability to sign them exclusively to the league minimum without them hitting the open market.
Brian Orr
AFFL New York Giants (48-51)(2-2) 2022, 2023 NFC East Champions
BRFL Washington Commanders (10-7)(0-1)
DFFL Miami Dolphins(103-76)(3-5) 2018 AFC East Champions
Royce R

Post by Royce R »

Knighty Knight wrote:Another question since I noticed we've updated for 2014 financials. I have two rookies who I signed from practice squad last season listed as UFA. Do we not do exclusive rights for players under a certain number of years experience like the NFL? Can't remember if it's 2 or 3 years but I should have the ability to sign them exclusively to the league minimum without them hitting the open market.
I don't believe we have practice squad go to rfa or exclusive. I think it is just active players that do?

Good question.
AFFL - Titans GM since 2007
96 - 62 - 2 regular season
6 playoff appearances
4 division titles
2 conference titles
1 AFFL title