2014 RULES: Defensive Touchdowns

Do you think our simulated games should incorporate defensive touchdowns?

No
13%
Yes - for real interceptions returned for TDs so long as sim QB has an INT in the game.
18%
Yes - for both interceptions and fumbles returned for TD so long as a fumble/interception happen in the sim game.
69%

Total votes: 45

Goodell

2014 RULES: Defensive Touchdowns

Post by Goodell »

I remember this coming up during the season about the possibility of adding defensive touchdowns to our game updates as pick-6 interceptions returned for touchdowns.

Much of what we can add or not to the game simulation depends upon the game data and what fields are part of that. Currently the box scores I use had IntTD listed in the data collected so it might be possible to have that part of a defensive player's game update (like sacks are part of their game update). I don't believe fumbles returned for touchdowns are part of the box score data I have now on defensive player stats, but if so that might also be possible.

As always, a QB controls most of his own performance. His completion % will be adjusted +/- 15% based upon grades around him vs. defensive grades, and his TD/INT update might be bumped up or down 1 in cases of maximum grade advantages, but for the most part most of the time a QB's own stats dictate mostly whether he's going to throw many or no interceptions. We don't have Tom Brady throw 5 picks in a week where he had no interceptions just because a CB on the opposing sim defense picked off the NFL's worst backup QB multiple times. Brady and all QBs mostly controls their own performance there with some slight adjustments for grade considerations.

BUT if a QB does have at least 1 INT in his game update and that pick does come into play within the game simulation where it generates an interception on the playing field, it may be possible for us to then check if any defensive players have a pick-6 in their update and if so generate a defensive touchdown from that QB-driven interception.

It arguably would add more realism as defensive TDs happen but we haven't had them before. It may make games more unpredictable (for better or worse) as defensive scores can be real game changers depending upon when they happen.

Let me know what you think in the poll. Just like punt returns for TDs that depend upon getting a chance for them to happen, an INT return for TD wouldn't be guaranteed if the QB in the game has no interceptions in the game.

Want to get a feel if most like that or not, and read some pros/cons. The default position will be working toward seeing if it's doable to add that element into the game if solid support for it. No assurances that we'll be able to, but will work toward implementing if our game data continues to give us that and it's workable within the simulator code.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
JonC

Re: 2014 RULES: Defensive Touchdowns

Post by JonC »

From a realism standpoint, I'm absolutely a fan. If it's not something that's ridiculous to implement from a sim standpoint, I love it. If it's going to cause hours of extra work, I don't know that it's worth it.
DFFL Steelers GM: '13-'22
Regular Season Record: 77-85 (.475)
Division Championships: ’13, ’14, ’19
AFC WC Team: ’20

AFFL Bills GM: '20-?
Regular Season Record: 20-30 (.400)

BRFL Chargers GM: '21-?
Regular Season Record: 17-17 (.500)
AFC WC Team: '22
Onyxgem

Post by Onyxgem »

This one I could see cause ALOT of problems if implemented, because the players in real life are more than likely on different teams than in the sim playing different teams.

I don't think it just can be as plain as Player A has a INT and the QB he is going against has an INT with update so that = TD for Player A. There are just to many other variables in play.

I do like the idea as it is a big part of a game, but not sure how the best way to implement something like this is. I don't think just cause a QB has a INT update in his game, that means the other team gets TD out of it. Especially when the QB could play for bad team in real life with great team in sim who has all grade advantages.
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Would you have no punt returns for td because playing against different rosters?

We reward individual playmakers. To me this would be like a punt/kick returner making score happen once ball in hand.

Grade advantages and attempts help factor if INT happens at all. But if a pick is going to be simmed based on qb stats/adjustments and there is a playmaker on defense who earned a TD when given the chance of also having a pick that week, that seems logical and fair to me. Once a pick happens its no longer about the qb as ball out of his hands into some one else's. it's about the return ability. Right now returns mostly random. If great int return in updates seems fairer to use that real impact than random determination not based on anything.

Open to ideas of having otherwise, but not sure any other way to fairly and logically have defensive scores than cases where a sim QB already is going to have a pick anyway and there was a great defensive return on the opposition also. Maybe there are other ways to consider or maybe don't want them, but this would be the way I could see it implemented if support for adding.
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

If there is support for this might add another poll, as another variation might be having the QB alone responsible for if pick 6 happens whether or not defense has that play made in their update.

Option a: if qb sim pick + defense int td update = simmed pick 6.

Option b: if qb throws pick-6 in reality and has int in sim then defensive td simmed.

Depends upon whether believe qb mostly responsible for INT alone and return something separate made happen by defensive playmaker or defender irrelevant and QB should dictate int return outcome alone. Certainly instances of both in reality in different cases. Easiest to add from defensive stats and lets us have more defensive player impact right from boxscores on def stats, as I don't think pick-6 in qb stats I upload but I could maybe try to manually do that if most think qb alone should determine int return instead of defensive playmakers.
Nathan S.

Post by Nathan S. »

I chose the second option but the third one is good too.

I think if this gets voted down (don't think it will) we should try and find a way to implement this still. Something like if a secondary has a huge advantage over WRs and a bad QB update, their chances should increase for a return.

Just brainstorming.
GM Tampa Bay Buccaneers - AFFL
sportznut

Post by sportznut »

If its Tony Romo in the 4th quarter, his potential for fumbling/interceptions go up 50%.

Likewise, Tom Brady's stats actually get better in the clutch.

:)
AFFL- Raiders
MLBSA- Tigers
WLSB- Marlins
Joe

Post by Joe »

I vote option 2. I say try a season with picks alone and see how it works. Then maybe next season add in the fumbles if its not a big pain in the ass for Troy.
Joe Militzer
Baltimore Ravens GM Affl
Cleveland Browns GM Cffl
Minnesota Vikings GM Dffl
Strategist

Post by Strategist »

The problem I see is what if you throw a pick 6 IRL of 2 yards or something small but the INT in the sim happens at the 50. I hate to make it automatic. What about INT return yards being included. So if a player had a 75 yard return be it a TD or not and the INT happens on the 50 then they would get a TD.
DFFL - DAL 09-20: 113-63 .642 (6-5) 3X DIV Champs. 6 Playoff apps. DFFL Bowl I Champs
CFFL - NYG 10-12: 34-13-1 .708
AFFL - WAS 13-19: 53-59 .473 (5-3) '14, '15, & '17 Div, '17 AFC Champs
FFFL - PIT 16-17: 45-19 .703 (3-3) '16-18 Div, 16' AFC Champs