2014 RULES: Values for Players Without Grade

Should players without a grade or empty spots be given higher default values?

Yes
48%
No - current default of 1.0 value is good.
52%

Total votes: 48

Royce R

Re: 2014 RULES: Values for Players Without Grade

Post by Royce R »

just went through the affl free agents. there is 12 centers with a grade that are not on a roster
AFFL - Titans GM since 2007
96 - 62 - 2 regular season
6 playoff appearances
4 division titles
2 conference titles
1 AFFL title
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

I haven't recalled backup players (even at center) a huge issue where no options available, but we can keep an eye on it. Lots of ideas but not always ways to feasibly implement things or make overly complicated, but always good to have discussion.

Sorting by position, sometimes there are players at a position listed differently (ex. |C| grouped together but also |C|G| or |C|LS| or |G|C| etc. By my quick count there are around 40 of them in the AFFL I believe teams could put a bid on in free agency who have grades now from last year.

If you really need a backup center, for example, there are:

- Dozens in free agency available for bidding with grades.
- Dozens available in the draft or as undrafted free agents (many of whom will have grades when new batch for new rosters comes out especially drafted players).
- A new batch of grades coming out for the new year where some young players will get grades who didn't have one last year as they become more experienced and perhaps rise up depth charts.
- The ability to add center to positional flexibility for applicable players.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Very balanced response here. We'll increase the value of players without grades to 2.0 (doubling it from previous years) and examine further as needed in the future. Still advised that teams sign an actual player with grade for depth, whether young player with unguaranteed salary or veterans after week 1 if concern about guaranteed veteran salaries who make 53 man roster out of camp.

If at any point in the season there are no available players with a grade at a position to be signed as an alternative in free agency and that's a bigger problem than I recall, keep an eye on that and reply here for such situations as it applies. Normally I'd expect there will always be someone available at every position with a grade available to be signed in free agency as teams need due to injuries or other factors.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office