Rules suggestion

whteshark

Re: Rules suggestion

Post by whteshark »

Onyxgem wrote:
jacobsaces wrote:Perhaps I should change the no interest term to undervalued. I have no intention to go after certain players in FAgency but if I see they are being undervalued I will put in a bid and no doubt in my mind nfl GM's do the same.
Then you must really think these billionaires are stupid...

Because they are not and no way are they dumb enough to waist their money on somebody they don't want. There is a reason they made their money and that is cause they are SMART with it.
Exactly, Oynx, too many GM's spend their time worrying that some other team may get a deal, instead of worrying about how to make their own team better.

And I don't believe for a second real GM's make offers to a player they don't want just to bid the price up. They're on the hook for that money if the players signs.
Regular Season: 161-79-1
Playoff Appearances: 10 of 16
Division Titles: 9
Conference Titles: 5
Playoffs: 17-7
AFFL Bowls: 3-2

AFFL Bowl I Winner
AFFL Bowl IV Winner
AFFL Bowl VIII Winner
jacobsaces

Post by jacobsaces »

Onyxgem wrote:
jacobsaces wrote:Perhaps I should change the no interest term to undervalued. I have no intention to go after certain players in FAgency but if I see they are being undervalued I will put in a bid and no doubt in my mind nfl GM's do the same.

Because they are not and no way are they dumb enough to waist their money on somebody they don't want. There is a reason they made their money and that is cause they are SMART with it.
How is it a waste? If the player is undervalued then you are paying them less then their production. That's smart business and every owner would do that
whteshark

Post by whteshark »

jacobsaces wrote:
Onyxgem wrote:

How is it a waste? If the player is undervalued then you are paying them less then their production. That's smart business and every owner would do that
"If" they need the player; "if" it helps the team. To bid on a player to drive the price up because your free agency has gone to hell when you don't want the player and have no real intention of signing the player is ridiculous.

AFFL Bowl I Winner
AFFL Bowl IV Winner
AFFL Bowl VIII Winner
jacobsaces

Post by jacobsaces »

whteshark wrote:
Onyxgem wrote:

Exactly, Oynx, too many GM's spend their time worrying that some other team may get a deal, instead of worrying about how to make their own team better.

And I don't believe for a second real GM's make offers to a player they don't want just to bid the price up. They're on the hook for that money if the players signs.
You guys did not read my post did you. I already pointed it out once that I did not say they offer contracts but rather show interest hoping the other team will up the price. And you hear all the time about teams that are interested in players and often half those teams are only trying to let the other teams know they are not the only bidders. Our system is not there's and the tool I have to make you pay more is by upping the bid. And it's still ridiculous if either of you believe nfl owners won't do what they can to make others pay more
Onyxgem

Post by Onyxgem »

jacobsaces wrote:
whteshark wrote:
Onyxgem wrote:

You guys did not read my post did you. I already pointed it out once that I did not say they offer contracts but rather show interest hoping the other team will up the price. And you hear all the time about teams that are interested in players and often half those teams are only trying to let the other teams know they are not the only bidders. Our system is not there's and the tool I have to make you pay more is by upping the bid. And it's still ridiculous if either of you believe nfl owners won't do what they can to make others pay more
And it is really stupid if you really think owners are going to be DUMB and waist their money on somebody they don't want....

Hey we get it you love sniping and screwing others over even if you don't want the guy.
jacobsaces

Post by jacobsaces »

"If" they need the player; "if" it helps the team. To bid on a player to drive the price up because your free agency has gone to hell when you don't want the player and have no real intention of signing the player is ridiculous. Written by white shark

If a player is undervalued (which is the only time I bid on a player that I do not want) then no matter what team he plays for he is helping them because you are paying him less than his production which every owner in every sports league looks for. I'm sorry guys but going after players that I did not want so long as they are under valued is perfectly valid strategy in any sport and league and any country
Jared A

Post by Jared A »

I think my entire issue is that we have a lot of "insane" contracts, and a ton of too cheap contracts.

I just want to find a way that our contracts are more realistic. I think single year league minimums should be something we look into. Also, any multi-year deal must have guaranteed money in it.
Onyxgem

Post by Onyxgem »

jacobsaces wrote:"If" they need the player; "if" it helps the team. To bid on a player to drive the price up because your free agency has gone to hell when you don't want the player and have no real intention of signing the player is ridiculous. Written by white shark

If a player is undervalued (which is the only time I bid on a player that I do not want) then no matter what team he plays for he is helping them because you are paying him less than his production which every owner in every sports league looks for. I'm sorry guys but going after players that I did not want so long as they are under valued is perfectly valid strategy in any sport and league and any country

That is not right, if the team has no need for the player no matter what the value they are not going to be DUMB and waist funds on him...

Your strategy is stupid and childish at best. and it is not a valid one for people who actually write the checks.
jacobsaces

Post by jacobsaces »

No one is screwing you? If someone ups the bid they did so for one of two reasons either they want him which we already obviously established is not the case here. Or they believe the player to be undervalued. I highly doubt anyone is bidding on players with intent to screw you over (though I might try and do so now) it's a simple fair for all tool it's silly to feel your getting screwed.
whteshark

Post by whteshark »

Sounds more like bitterness to me. For myself, I don't worry about what other teams are doing in free agency: I worry about myself and how my team is doing. I'm pretty sure that most NFL teams think the same way. It's real money with real consequences for misusing it. I think the last thing on these guys minds is driving up a price on a player, they don't want, to hurt a rival.

I don't have a problem with the current system. Last minute bids are frustrating but a part of the process. My only change would be if you find a player that Goodell has to add you should be able to sign that player to a one year contract or add them to your practice squad.

AFFL Bowl I Winner
AFFL Bowl IV Winner
AFFL Bowl VIII Winner