Rules suggestion

jacobsaces

Re: Rules suggestion

Post by jacobsaces »

Onyxgem wrote:
jacobsaces wrote:"If" they need the player; "if" it helps the team. To bid on a player to drive the price up because your free agency has gone to hell when you don't want the player and have no real intention of signing the player is ridiculous. Written by white shark

If a player is undervalued (which is the only time I bid on a player that I do not want) then no matter what team he plays for he is helping them because you are paying him less than his production which every owner in every sports league looks for. I'm sorry guys but going after players that I did not want so long as they are under valued is perfectly valid strategy in any sport and league and any country

That is not right, if the team has no need for the player no matter what the value they are not going to be DUMB and waist funds on him...

Your strategy is stupid and childish at best. and it is not a valid one for people who actually write the checks.
. Ok

Seems your getting out of hand. Stockpile talent in any sport any owner any gm would do. Need is only what things appear to be in training camp and into the season quite different often teams are happy to have the depth they hoped they would not need. Again I'm talking about undervalued players which does not mean I have Aaron Rodgers already and I'm bidding up to 20 mil on Peyton manning
Onyxgem

Post by Onyxgem »

jacobsaces wrote:
Onyxgem wrote:
jacobsaces wrote:"If" they need the player; "if" it helps the team. To bid on a player to drive the price up because your free agency has gone to hell when you don't want the player and have no real intention of signing the player is ridiculous. Written by white shark

If a player is undervalued (which is the only time I bid on a player that I do not want) then no matter what team he plays for he is helping them because you are paying him less than his production which every owner in every sports league looks for. I'm sorry guys but going after players that I did not want so long as they are under valued is perfectly valid strategy in any sport and league and any country

That is not right, if the team has no need for the player no matter what the value they are not going to be DUMB and waist funds on him...

Your strategy is stupid and childish at best. and it is not a valid one for people who actually write the checks.
. Ok

Seems your getting out of hand. Stockpile talent in any sport any owner any gm would do. Need is only what things appear to be in training camp and into the season quite different often teams are happy to have the depth they hoped they would not need. Again I'm talking about undervalued players which does not mean I have Aaron Rodgers already and I'm bidding up to 20 mil on Peyton manning
Owners IRL are not dumb, they are not going to sign a player they don't want or need even if that player is undervalued....it is bad business and a complete waste of money
jacobsaces

Post by jacobsaces »

whteshark wrote:Sounds more like bitterness to me. For myself, I don't worry about what other teams are doing in free agency: I worry about myself and how my team is doing. I'm pretty sure that most NFL teams think the same way. It's real money with real consequences for misusing it. I think the last thing on these guys minds is driving up a price on a player, they don't want, to hurt a rival.

I don't have a problem with the current system. Last minute bids are frustrating but a part of the process. My only change would be if you find a player that Goodell has to add you should be able to sign that player to a one year contract or add them to your practice squad.
I really don't know what you mean by bitterness I have no issue with the way things work it just makes me laugh that people have real dislike for certain strategies as if someone is trying to screw them. Again I never said making contract offers in nfl but here that is the tool we have to drive price up. That is why I only do that with undervalued players.
whteshark

Post by whteshark »

jacobsaces wrote:
whteshark wrote:Sounds more like bitterness to me. For myself, I don't worry about what other teams are doing in free agency: I worry about myself and how my team is doing. I'm pretty sure that most NFL teams think the same way. It's real money with real consequences for misusing it. I think the last thing on these guys minds is driving up a price on a player, they don't want, to hurt a rival.

I don't have a problem with the current system. Last minute bids are frustrating but a part of the process. My only change would be if you find a player that Goodell has to add you should be able to sign that player to a one year contract or add them to your practice squad.
I really don't know what you mean by bitterness I have no issue with the way things work it just makes me laugh that people have real dislike for certain strategies as if someone is trying to screw them. Again I never said making contract offers in nfl but here that is the tool we have to drive price up. That is why I only do that with undervalued players.
Well, it seems to be a pretty cut throat strategy to me. You're pretty much saying that you drive the prices up on players if "you" in all your deep and profound wisdom deem them undervalued.

I'm sure a lot of GM's in DFFL will be taking a look at your free agents next year wondering if, perhaps, they are undervalued as well.
Regular Season: 161-79-1
Playoff Appearances: 10 of 16
Division Titles: 9
Conference Titles: 5
Playoffs: 17-7
AFFL Bowls: 3-2

AFFL Bowl I Winner
AFFL Bowl IV Winner
AFFL Bowl VIII Winner
tino38

Post by tino38 »

Shark I would be on board the strategy if you find someone to have added, you should get them on a 1 year contract or practice squad.
BRFL Saints (31-20) (3-0)
- NFCS Champ: 23’
- NFC Champ: 23’
- SB Champ 23’
AFFL Patriots (97-82) (8-4)
-AFCE Champ: 16', 22’, 23’
-AFC Champ: 22’
-SB Champ: 22’
DFFL Jets - SB Champ 21’ & 22’
FFFL Jets - SB Champ 17’ & 18’
jacobsaces

Post by jacobsaces »

whteshark wrote:
jacobsaces wrote:

Well, it seems to be a pretty cut throat strategy to me. You're pretty much saying that you drive the prices up on players if "you" in all your deep and profound wisdom deem them undervalued.

I'm sure a lot of GM's in DFFL will be taking a look at your free agents next year wondering if, perhaps, they are undervalued as well.
How is a player on the free agent market getting overbid cutthroat? Now it sounds like you are in the playground and I came and pushed you off the monkey bars.. Whaaaaa unbelievable how you guys view this. I have never bid on a player with intent of screwing someone over no matter how you want to twist things. It's more about getting a more fair value for a player rather than undervalue. And if you take a look at my free agents I signed I got stuck with little to nothing, I matched chancellor, bid on tramon Williams when his clock was winding down, which was my own UFA and at the time I had not signed anyone so felt I needed to up the bid for my own team had nothing to do with screwing anyone. And I signed Curtis often who I feel is a good value and we to low of rating. That's it I bid on a lot of guys before matching Kam and kept getting overbid if I had an extra bid and knew there was nothing in between that time and the next time one of my bid opens then I would use it on an undervalued player... Not that difficult and not evil as you make it out to be
whteshark

Post by whteshark »

"How is a player on the free agent market getting overbid cutthroat? Now it sounds like you are in the playground and I came and pushed you off the monkey bars.. Whaaaaa unbelievable how you guys view this."

LOL, I'm a fat guy. I spend too much time on this site when I should be out exercising so you might have a hard time pushing me off the monkey bars.

I don't know how long you have been playing but I was pretty cut throat when I came in this league. I realized pretty quickly that building relationships in this league are important. 99 percent of these GM's here are smart, active players who know their stuff and have the memory of an elephant. Some players who get through free agency are probably undervalued and some are way overvalued. It's the market at work. I don't lose sleep over it and I certainly don't stay in free agency to drive up the prices on players I don't need or want.

Your idea of GMing is a bit different from mine but a bit of advice would be those relationships are more important than some cut throat free agency tactics.

Just my two cents, man.
Regular Season: 161-79-1
Playoff Appearances: 10 of 16
Division Titles: 9
Conference Titles: 5
Playoffs: 17-7
AFFL Bowls: 3-2

AFFL Bowl I Winner
AFFL Bowl IV Winner
AFFL Bowl VIII Winner
Onyxgem

Post by Onyxgem »

jacobsaces wrote:No one is screwing you? If someone ups the bid they did so for one of two reasons either they want him which we already obviously established is not the case here. Or they believe the player to be undervalued. I highly doubt anyone is bidding on players with intent to screw you over (though I might try and do so now) it's a simple fair for all tool it's silly to feel your getting screwed.
wow talk about childish
Jared A

Post by Jared A »

I'm not going to get into the name calling stuff, but try to make suggestions. There's obviously multiple ways you can view how our FA goes. However, the POINT of the entire thing is to mimic reality. My issue is that some (not all) of our contracts are not realistic.

I'll be the first to admit that I play within the rules, but I'm willing to take advantages that do not mimic reality. The point being... as the league continues to grow and develop, rules need to be adjusted to prevent (or discourage) "loop holes" or unrealistic bids. Doing away with the team that's about to sign has been VERY helpful. Every time we make a suggestion or an adjustment, the goal is to improve the league.

On a side note, once a player signs, it would be nice to be able to see the bidding history of the player.
tino38

Post by tino38 »

whteshark wrote:I don't know how long you have been playing but I was pretty cut throat when I came in this league. I realized pretty quickly that building relationships in this league are important. 99 percent of these GM's here are smart, active players who know their stuff and have the memory of an elephant. Some players who get through free agency are probably undervalued and some are way overvalued. It's the market at work. I don't lose sleep over it and I certainly don't stay in free agency to drive up the prices on players I don't need or want.
Elephants everywhere are appalled! :D
BRFL Saints (31-20) (3-0)
- NFCS Champ: 23’
- NFC Champ: 23’
- SB Champ 23’
AFFL Patriots (97-82) (8-4)
-AFCE Champ: 16', 22’, 23’
-AFC Champ: 22’
-SB Champ: 22’
DFFL Jets - SB Champ 21’ & 22’
FFFL Jets - SB Champ 17’ & 18’