Franchise/Transition Tag

tino38

Franchise/Transition Tag

Post by tino38 »

I have been wondering if our franchise/transition tags have been in adequate in our league. In the NFL teams spend more controlled with their money. In fangm we do not. Next offseason I think it may be something worth discussing making the franchise/transition tag numbers based on fangm leagues top 5 and top 10 salaries, rather than using the nfl numbers.
BRFL Saints (31-20) (3-0)
- NFCS Champ: 23’
- NFC Champ: 23’
- SB Champ 23’
AFFL Patriots (97-82) (8-4)
-AFCE Champ: 16', 22’, 23’
-AFC Champ: 22’
-SB Champ: 22’
DFFL Jets - SB Champ 21’ & 22’
FFFL Jets - SB Champ 17’ & 18’
Goodell

Re: Franchise/Transition Tag

Post by Goodell »

tino38 wrote:I have been wondering if our franchise/transition tags have been in adequate in our league. In the NFL teams spend more controlled with their money. In fangm we do not. Next offseason I think it may be something worth discussing making the franchise/transition tag numbers based on fangm leagues top 5 and top 10 salaries, rather than using the nfl numbers.
It's worth discussing (and may have been discussed at times over the years before). It's probably a matter more of efficiency and keeping things grounded in NFL reality versus going deeper into entirely fake simulation and getting things further out of whack with reality. Those NFL franchise tag figures are always easy to find highly published every year and teams can plan toward knowing that.

It seemed very difficult when we first started, but now that we've done LTCs we could probably think about making up own own simulated tag prices too based upon that. More and more, though, LTC figures might be getting jacked up with different types of bids creating more complication.

There are some complaints about LTCs when sometimes teams making bad decisions that jack up LTC prices for others. To me, that comes with the territory and can happen in reality too as many teams make bad decisions in reality too messing up prices for positions. But in sim leagues bad decisions aren't with real money and can be even more extreme.

It's certainly something we could think about or see if most want to switch. For me, I like using the NFL figures for these reasons.

- More efficient to grab those published figures and apply universally versus me calculating them, and multiple different tag prices for all positions across multiple leagues (if we had 10 leagues we'd have to calculate 10 different franchise price tags for each position), and having the currently fairly simple options to tag someone or not based upon a static universal price be more of a dynamic changing calculated price that is different from league to league.

- Keeps that reality of how much star NFL players should be making and helps push our sim prices toward those real standards as ultimately desired.

- With teams having 1 LTC and 1 Tag option, gives them some flexibility and diversity of options if you are in a screwy league with jacked up contracts with lots of GMs making poor choices impacting you. If both LTC and tagging based entirely upon other team choices, you're kind of out of luck if in a bad league with bad choices in terms of realistic/fair price options there. We currently get some of that league-specific generated price for stars in the LTC calculations, but also gives you an option for an NFL-based star price with NFL franchise tag. I can't really see an elite NFL top 5 salary being too cheap an option for us, even if our contracts are over-inflated. I kind of like having both sides represented there in the two options for retaining two star players each year. One option based upon league-set standards and the other NFL-set standards for a top 5 elite NFL player.

Over the years people have suggested we make up our own different schedules based upon our own different records, own different franchise tags, etc. and there is some reasoning behind that certainly, but I've also always liked both the efficiency/practicality of using real NFL numbers in places and grounding our game in those real NFL options that real GMs have.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
charlie813brown

Post by charlie813brown »

Remember, last minute bids aren't always everyone's last minute. We have owners in Europe and Asia and across the US, that is 6-8 different time zones we are talking about.
Cory H
GM of Baltimore Ravens CFFL (Total - 43-53)
2008 - 5-11
2009 - 9-7
2010 - 10-6 (AFC Wild Card)
2011 - 10-6
2012 - 1-15 (Rebuilding year)
2013 - 8-8
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

charlie813brown wrote:Remember, last minute bids aren't always everyone's last minute. We have owners in Europe and Asia and across the US, that is 6-8 different time zones we are talking about.
Get that, even though may not have been through it or fully understand the experience.

But last minute is individual player based, though. Not one set time for one set land. After day one, players get signed at different times from early mornings to late late nights based upon their own individual timetable of last bid. Nearly every hour there are players being signed from morning to night all hours of the day.

Time matters most really at the start. A lot of GMs want to rush into free agency. Put in their 5 bids exactly when the clock strikes start. From my personal perspective, a lot of those get wasted and people get frustrated with that. I think it's important to probably get your own UFAs a bid on that first day to get their 24 hour clocks going while teams are focused on bigger fish out of the gate with lots of options and you have unlimited bids to try to get yours through the first wave, but for the most part I may put in one or two early bids when FA starts early AM but then I wait until later in the day to see how things are shaping up to put in my other bids and not waste a bid that's easily and quickly countered in the big rush of early bids.

Some people have work schedules where they can't bid to start early morning right at the start. Some people in other parts of the world with different time as you mention where that's not good timing either. If they view it absolutely critical to get in exactly at the first start, it probably takes 5 minutes to get in quick 5 bids and get back to whatever else. I may be wrong, but I don't view that quite as critical, though. If I could be the first 5 bids in earliest but perhaps have all 5 quickly countered because I was bidding on the most popular targets of other teams too, or wait a couple hours to see how all the early bids went and then choose to either top those or go after different more obtainable targets without any bids yet with more information on the market, I go with the latter myself to make more educated bids knowing more about how things are shaping up early and who has the most suiters making the most bold bids that would be harder to compete with than other targets.

Sometimes bids have to be last minute based upon when you get new bids available or when you have time to check in, etc. To me, that's reasonable and if it happens every now and then no big deal. But constantly happening over and over by intention is where many voice frustration with the experience with people doing that strategically against others or just trying to keep players on the market longer. It's not against the rules so I don't mind teams doing that, but the question might be should the rules be amended to change the environment where that's an exception happening every now and then due to circumstance more than the common happening over and over in gamesmanship and frustration of most.

Finding the line between reasonably allowing some of that as needed because of situations (as you mention) but trying to prevent the most frustrating constant "abuse" (as considered by some) might be a way of making it less gamesmanship and more of a fair value determining process.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
jacobsaces

Post by jacobsaces »

Not that this is relevant but I'm curious as mentioned above owners from Europe and Asia. Do we have a place on the site that shows where everyone is from?
Knighty Knight

Post by Knighty Knight »

Don't forget Africa!
Brian Orr
AFFL New York Giants (48-51)(2-2) 2022, 2023 NFC East Champions
BRFL Washington Commanders (10-7)(0-1)
DFFL Miami Dolphins(103-76)(3-5) 2018 AFC East Champions