2015 RULES: Suggested Topics

whteshark

Re: 2015 RULES: Suggested Topics

Post by whteshark »

Chad55 wrote:This is a little bit off what has been talked about, but I was wondering how a team can have 2 fullbacks count towards there O-line grade? I'm not positive but do many NFL teams carry 2 fullbacks? I just wanted to get a little clarification on this.
I would like to know how that works too. I noticed last year a team could carry two FB's and both would help the offensive line grade. I could see one helping but two?
Regular Season: 161-79-1
Playoff Appearances: 10 of 16
Division Titles: 9
Conference Titles: 5
Playoffs: 17-7
AFFL Bowls: 3-2

AFFL Bowl I Winner
AFFL Bowl IV Winner
AFFL Bowl VIII Winner
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Chad55 wrote:This is a little bit off what has been talked about, but I was wondering how a team can have 2 fullbacks count towards there O-line grade? I'm not positive but do many NFL teams carry 2 fullbacks? I just wanted to get a little clarification on this.
They shouldn't. Just an error in the script. I'd like things to be 100% perfect all the time but unfortunatly sometimes they can't and don't have enough time in the day to at this point. But on the list of things to adjust before next year. Hasn't been as huge of a deal at this point until I get the running of games completely automated since I can do a last check and manual adjustment in cases needed before I manually run.

However, in the couple of instances I checked where that was happening, it made no real difference usually in the total calculation. I take a closer look at those in the playoffs with more time on each matchup. One team had that pop up I believe, but when I calculated it by hand it was the same end result (not exactly the same but not within enough difference to round up so the same in terms of one decimal point used). It might get a .1 or so bump depending on the other grades, but I try to check for that and manually correct before simming. It's something that I know bugs people and something I'll try to have it resolve for the manual printout at some point. It's usually something that could be seen and adjusted before simming if it makes any difference in the average (usually it doesn't). That whole calculation needs a little re-working because of all the complexities involved in optimizing with multiple positions, etc.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
Chad55

Post by Chad55 »

Thanks for clarifying commish. I haven't seen it happen before either, so I thought I should just ask.
AFFL-Cleveland Browns
-2013 AFC North Champs
-2014 AFC North Champs
-2016 AFC North Champs
-2018 AFC North Champs
-2020 AFC North Champs

FFFL Jacksonville
-2021 Super Bowl Champs
-2022 AFC Champs
*Retired after 2022 season*
Ben C.

Post by Ben C. »

One thing I just noticed in the NFL is that it appears the new CBA required signing bonuses be pro rated only over the first 5 years of a contract. Should we be doing the same thing here? Do we already do it and I just haven't noticed it?

Sources:
(See paragraph about difference between signing bonus, option bonus, and roster bonus): http://russellstreetreport.com/salaryca ... -cap-faqs/

(See the last paragraph in answer to question 1.7e):
http://www.askthecommish.com/SalaryCap/faq.aspx
AFFL Arizona - General Manager
Regular Season Record - 174-66-1
Playoff Record - 13-12
AFFL Bowl Record - 0-2

2x NFC Champions - 2010, 2016
11x NFC West Champions - 2007-12, 2014-15, 2017-18, 2021
AFFL History
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Ben C. wrote:One thing I just noticed in the NFL is that it appears the new CBA required signing bonuses be pro rated only over the first 5 years of a contract. Should we be doing the same thing here? Do we already do it and I just haven't noticed it?

Sources:
(See paragraph about difference between signing bonus, option bonus, and roster bonus): http://russellstreetreport.com/salaryca ... -cap-faqs/

(See the last paragraph in answer to question 1.7e):
http://www.askthecommish.com/SalaryCap/faq.aspx
It's something to maybe think about, but I don't really want things to get so complicated teams need to hire attorneys to run their sim team. :) Not sure if that makes things more complicated or not, or worth changing contract scripts toward some treated differently than others, etc. Probably not something we'd change at this point but maybe think about ahead if needed/wanted. Most of our contracts are not incredibly long-term as we have limits there and no LTCs or extensions are longer than that, so less would be impacted here but it's something to think about for those rarer cases here perhaps in the future.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office