2015 Off-Season Update

Goodell

Re: 2015 Off-Season Update

Post by Goodell »

Ulrich82 wrote:The changes sound great commish.

One question. Let's say I cut a player to PS and someone else claims him. Then they cut him because they intended to practice squad him but got blocked. Can I claim that player on waivers to cut to PS again? Otherwise, it becomes a race to add the player to PS at the end of the waiver period. Not complaining, because It's impossible to legislate against everything. Just wondering how this works.
No, it's largely to prevent the "claim so I can cut to practice squad" approach across the board even in the situation mentioned. If a team is claiming a player, the league wants that to be because they want to pay that player a contract and have them on their 53 man roster. Claims should be for giving that sim player an opportunity with a team that wants to actually pay him and actually play him. Claims in the past were way too much about practice squad battles and this is an attempt to end that. Claims are to add a player to active roster, not try to get him to a practice squad. There's a place in free agency for adding available players to practice squad purposes, which hopefully will be done more there than the waive-and-claim circles of the past. So if a team successfully puts in a winning claim on that player, they cannot cut him to practice squad in the short-term even in that scenario mentioned. If a team's claiming a player, we want it to be because they have a spot on their active roster for him and want to pay him. If not, they should just be waived and go into the available player pool in free agency for adding to practice squad list.

We'll have to monitor for other impacts from it and adjust in the future if needed.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

jerrydlux wrote:Not sure how my salary jumped 3.5 million. I know we were doing rule of 51 up until yesterday but the extra two players were 3.5 millions worth? Am I missing something or can someone explain it better for me?

thanks

good luck everyone!
I'll have to look more closely when I get a moment later, but here are some links that may help.

http://www.fangm.com/football/roster.ph ... l&team=TEN (new roster)
http://www.fangm.com/football/roster51. ... l&team=TEN (old off-season version still top 51)

Link to top 51 for rule of 51:
http://www.fangm.com/football/51.php?le ... l&team=TEN

On that, I notice it may not be just 2 players difference you mention as other players aren't on active 53 man roster but still count toward the total when counting EVERYBODY as it is now. When it was just doing top 51, there were 7 players not being counted per that rule of 51 link above.

I'll keep working on some ways to make this transition easier next off-season and showing more of how things would look if it was the regular season even on the off-season roster.
jerrydlux

Post by jerrydlux »

sorry I am confused by that last part where you say when counting top 51 there were 7 that weren't being counted?

My roster has been over 53 for most of the offseason and figured it was counting 51 salaries leaving me approximately 3.2 mil. Then we flip it to counting all 53 once we are in the regular season so adding two more should be two more minimum contracts.

Sorry...just trying to see where my money went.
jerrydlux

Post by jerrydlux »

also just had an odd thing happen where I looked at the rosters page, said I had 2.8 mil, then went to my team page...over the cap...back to rosters page and then over the cap again.

Not sure what happened, just thought I would mention it
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

jerrydlux wrote:sorry I am confused by that last part where you say when counting top 51 there were 7 that weren't being counted?

My roster has been over 53 for most of the offseason and figured it was counting 51 salaries leaving me approximately 3.2 mil. Then we flip it to counting all 53 once we are in the regular season so adding two more should be two more minimum contracts.

Sorry...just trying to see where my money went.
We should probably communicate directly in PM regarding individual team for more detail if questions beyond this below.

The seven I mentioned were on the link I provided here:
http://www.fangm.com/football/51.php?le ... l&team=TEN

That's the Rule of 51 link that was at the bottom of all team rosters this off-season that listed the top 51 players being counted (and also shows those below that who were not).

If a team's roster says 53 active roster players, they usually are actually paying MORE than 53 players in total. If a player is on IR, for example, they are NOT among the 53 total. A total team roster, for example, might have 58 players on the team (53 active and 5 on some injury list) but in the off-season it doesn't count up all 58 players just the top 51.

Say I have one player eligible for IR and currently had 54 total players (with nobody on IR). Once I add him to IR, I'm down to 53 active roster players but really paying 54 players since he's still on my team and still getting a paycheck from me. He's just not on the 53 man active roster for player limits since he's been put on IR.

That link above shows 58 players with salary on total team roster. 53 active roster people, but also paying 4 on IR and one on PUP, etc. The Rule of 51 list (link above) only counted the top 51 salaries in the off-season for salary cap space (out of 58 total on your team), but the team also had others players who are on the payroll but weren't part of the top 51 salaries. Going into the regular season, we're not just counting the top 51 guys any more but all players on the roster.

It can be confusing and it's something I've been thinking about ways to make less so in the future.
jerrydlux

Post by jerrydlux »

got it. wasnt counting IR and PUP and thought their salary was already counting towards my #.

I think a way to help would be to make it so everyone who count against the cap is always counting against the cap so there isnt this surprise change right before the season.

thanks for your help
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

jerrydlux wrote:got it. wasnt counting IR and PUP and thought their salary was already counting towards my #.

I think a way to help would be to make it so everyone who count against the cap is always counting against the cap so there isnt this surprise change right before the season.

thanks for your help
Thanks. There was a long discussion about Rule of 51 (probably prior to you joining).

It doesn't really work to always count everyone if teams are encouraged to have up to 90 players on the roster for realistic off-season team building (as intended) utilizing NFL off-season salary cap rules. So we instituted that for both realism (as is a core objective of league management) and because we want off-season type rosters with that flexibility real GMs have to build up their training camp talent pool. Things are always under evaluation and open to discussions but after making that change to realistic off-season roster management (and it was a large and complex change) I don't really see that changing, and would move away from realism objectives. I do however see improved communications about that on team rosters ahead showing both the off-season roster flexibility that actually counts with rule of 51 but also a section that in more detail shows how that would look in the regular season to plan toward this shift to regular season rules.
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Also make sure you check your Depth Chart link from your team roster prior to Sunday morning. I went through and updated depth charts across the leagues, but ONLY for cases of players no longer on a team still being in their depth chart lineup. I didn't do any kind of subjective decision replacements or add in any new trade acquisitions, etc. Just replaced players no longer on the roster with the next highest grade player at that spot.

So while you're making sure you are at the 53 man roster limit by Thursday night, also check your depth chart to make sure your preferred lineup is getting prioritized in the sim season ahead. Thanks
sportznut

Post by sportznut »

As I'm tying up some loose ends here and there, is our deadline tonight at midnight or tomorrow at 11:59 PM?

Just want to know if I have to wrap this up tonight, or still have tomorrow to get it done.

Thanks.
AFFL- Raiders
MLBSA- Tigers
WLSB- Marlins
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

sportznut wrote:As I'm tying up some loose ends here and there, is our deadline tonight at midnight or tomorrow at 11:59 PM?

Just want to know if I have to wrap this up tonight, or still have tomorrow to get it done.

Thanks.
Ideally by the time the NFL regular season officially starts when the first game starts Thursday night. If there are stragglers that'll give me from Thursday to early next week when we sim to ensure everyone in compliance when we start (even if the league needs to make some moves on some team behalfs or replace GMs).