2015 RULES: Free Agency (Anonymous Bidding)

Should we continue with anonymous bidding in free agency?

Yes - continue not knowing team bids until player signed.
78%
No - go back to knowing all teams involved as bids entered.
22%

Total votes: 54

Ulrich82

Re: 2015 RULES: Free Agency (Anonymous Bidding)

Post by Ulrich82 »

To be clear, not calling Jared out there. Just meant as an example, since he's openly admitted to it here. I have no problem with it.
CFFL SF 49ers since 2010
NFC West Champions: 2011, 2012, 2013 , 2014, 2015
Undefeated 2013-2014 Regular Season

AFFL:
Assistant GM with Car Panthers since 2012
Carolina Panthers GM Since 2014
whteshark

Post by whteshark »

Ulrich82 wrote:Why does it matter if you see who the snipers are? It won't stop Jared. Heck, it won't stop me if I think the player is going for too low a deal. I'd rather try to get him on my team at a given price.

I also don't understand the problem people have with last minute bids. This isn't ebay where the last bid stands. You get another 24 hours to counter that bid. It's disappointing when you thought you were going to get the player signed, but it is part of the game. What if I use one of my 5 bids on player X and another GM outbids me 3 minutes later. I wait 24 hours for my bid to free up, and I place a new bid. I don't see any problem with that scenario. If you restrict my ability to make a last minute bid there, you are either giving the player to my competitor or forcing me to burn 2 of my 5 bids to stay alive in the competition for player X. The whole thing seems recursively ridiculous to me. If you restrict bids in the last 30 minutes, you turn the 24 hour clock into a 23.5 hour clock. Then people will complain about last minute bids coming in just before the final 30 minute window begins, etc.

jmondo, I think your DMBO example is actually the exact opposite of what you want to show. Players should go for market value which requires people making the bids they are comfortable with. If you give up on a player early because your competitor has more cap space, the competitor might get a better deal than he should have.
I don't think the system was set up to snipe as much as it was to add value to your team through the market place. I don't think it's right to snipe but I don't think there's a way to stop it.

The reality, though, is I like to win so I don't waste my bids trying to get even.

While I agree with Oynx that sniping for the pure pleasure of driving the price up on a player-- that you don't really need or want--sucks and is wrong, I like anonymous bidding. Honestly, I don't want to know who is sniping me. I don't want it in the back of my head when I'm working out a trade or trying to move up or down in the draft or waste my time in free agency trying to snipe back. If I get countered I take it less personally with anonymous bidding.
Last edited by whteshark on Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regular Season: 161-79-1
Playoff Appearances: 10 of 16
Division Titles: 9
Conference Titles: 5
Playoffs: 17-7
AFFL Bowls: 3-2

AFFL Bowl I Winner
AFFL Bowl IV Winner
AFFL Bowl VIII Winner
jerrydlux

Post by jerrydlux »

So what if we just saw what team was doing the bidding and not the name of the GM? would we all be able to agree with that? Just trying to hash out some different options here.

this is a joke
Royce R

Post by Royce R »

If you don't want people to up your bid make it more than they are willing to pay.

Add some signing bonus so they cant just cut the player and are risking something.

Simple. Basically people are complaining about getting upped on a minimum bid. Who gives a crap. You want him on your team then pay the man. If you want to risk a minimum bid then be prepared to get outbid, if its 5 hours left or 15 hours left or 15 seconds left it doesn't matter, your outbid.
AFFL - Titans GM since 2007
96 - 62 - 2 regular season
6 playoff appearances
4 division titles
2 conference titles
1 AFFL title
sportznut

Post by sportznut »

I just wanted to point this out so we can find a resolution in future years. Wasn't sure exactly where to put it since there are so many FA threads.

We had a case pop up in the last couple of days where a team bid on a player for 4 years @ 3M + 16M SB.

That bid eventually got changed to 1 year 20M + 1M, and won.

I think its a fundamental flaw in the system if a player who had a guaranteed 16M SB is now reduced to 1M. That player was immediately cut.

I really think changing the dynamic of the bidding is a good thing, but under no circumstance should we be allowed to reduce the SB so much lower than previously bid on.

Perhaps 50% is the lowest I'd go on the SB, if you're raising other areas, but certainly not in this example. Just my .02
AFFL- Raiders
MLBSA- Tigers
WLSB- Marlins