2015 RULES: Free Agency (Veteran Minimum)

Should veteran minimum contract requirements be adjusted?

No - Keep up to 3 years bid at veteran minimum price without requiring signing bonus.
16%
Yes - Can't go longer than 1-year deal at veteran minimum 745K if no signing bonus.
18%
Yes - If just a 1-year bid, only require lower youngster minimum 435K for everyone as NFL minimum vets count less against cap.
38%
Yes - Incorporate real NFL veteran minimums and real NFL vet minimum salary cap benefits exactly.
29%

Total votes: 45

Goodell

Re: 2015 RULES: Free Agency (Veteran Minimum)

Post by Goodell »

RebelFan wrote:
Goodell wrote: Multi-year deals for veterans must also include a signing bonus.
I still feel like I'm missing something. Multi-year deals, as in 2 years? If so, what's the baseline SB for that?

And why were we in such a hurry to get free agency going? I know 4/13 was the deadline you set for it to begin, but rolling out the new rules a few hours before it begins seems like rushing things a bit to me.

Also, is the add-a-player tool up and running yet?
Comments noted.

Schedule set to get peak free agency going by mid-April if we want it concluded by the time the NFL draft comes around as we usually start our draft immediately after and that's early May with free agency needing at least a couple weeks.

The discussion on this topic was started March 12 and those options for yes change highly supported from the start. Posted suggestions for rule changes that are highly supported tend to get implemented. On April 8th posted that the polls were supporting a change there and that no more multi-year deals for veterans with no signing bonus.

If people disagree with highly supported poll results or have questions about how highly supported poll results would be implemented, that's why we have those discussions and allow people to ask questions or propose their own thoughts for weeks.

Multi-year deal is any deal over 1 year.

A couple posts back mentioned the minimums for signing bonuses hadn't changed this year, it's just 1000 minimum, and more for deals once they get into the longer-term over three years.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
jerrydlux

Post by jerrydlux »

suggestion for future discussion...

What if every FA we place a bid on the salary for that bid came out of our available salary cap. Then came back as soon as they were outbid. I am just thinking along the lines of teams who dont have the cap space to sign all of the guys they make offers to. Making it so they cant just place high bids on lots of players and then throw themselves over the cap should they end up being the high bidder on each.

Just food for thought, this may have already been discussed in years past.
Nathan S.

Post by Nathan S. »

jerrydlux wrote:suggestion for future discussion...

What if every FA we place a bid on the salary for that bid came out of our available salary cap. Then came back as soon as they were outbid. I am just thinking along the lines of teams who dont have the cap space to sign all of the guys they make offers to. Making it so they cant just place high bids on lots of players and then throw themselves over the cap should they end up being the high bidder on each.

Just food for thought, this may have already been discussed in years past.
Really like this if it's easy to implement.
GM Tampa Bay Buccaneers - AFFL