2015 RULES: Free Agency (Clock and First Bidders)

Do you support any of these changes to free agency bidding?

Don't show a free agent's time stamp for last bid or time remaining - except for your own bids & to teams that have bid on that player.
9%
Don't show exact countdown time down to the minute, but instead a more generalized time of day (Monday afternoon) except for your own bids.
15%
Don't have a link for list of signing soon after peak free agency is over.
13%
Limit the times a team can place a counter offer at the last minute per season.
10%
Use a different method for signings after peak free agency benefiting first finders.
10%
Different method for signings after peak free agency - but limit it to one-year minimum deals for all after peak.
1%
Same system all year, but give first bidders more advantages (raise the counter-offer requirements overall).
8%
Same system all year, first bidders more advantages (1st bids can have no SB, but any counter offer must come with at least some guaranteed money as better offer).
7%
Same system all year, first bidder gets lowered counter-offer minimums for additional bids throughout that bid war.
7%
First bidder doesn't have that count against his 5 offers per day (limited to one free first bid per team per day)
20%

Total votes: 89

robroach

Re: 2015 RULES: Free Agency (Clock and First Bidders)

Post by robroach »

Instead of signing soon, could we set up a system where we identified first 12 and second 12? Maybe the the players name changes to yellow or red in the second 12 hours of a bid. This way no last minute bidding. Once a player turns yellow, you better place a bid or you have no one to blame but yourself. This could also give the commish a little cushion if he's an hour early on a signing or an hour late.
Joe

Post by Joe »

Wheres the keep it as is option? Last minute bids are part of the deal. Ive been on the wrong side of that plenty, but there have also been occasions when I had to wait til the last minute because I didnt have any bids available until then. This first bid of the day also screws the guys who cant sit on the internet all day. I know when I get home, my bids will be coming available again and I shouldnt be shit outta luck and have to pay more because I wasnt the first bidder.
Joe Militzer
Baltimore Ravens GM Affl
Cleveland Browns GM Cffl
Minnesota Vikings GM Dffl
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Joe wrote:Wheres the keep it as is option? Last minute bids are part of the deal. Ive been on the wrong side of that plenty, but there have also been occasions when I had to wait til the last minute because I didnt have any bids available until then. This first bid of the day also screws the guys who cant sit on the internet all day. I know when I get home, my bids will be coming available again and I shouldnt be shit outta luck and have to pay more because I wasnt the first bidder.
This was just throwing out some ideas talked about in forums this past year and seeing which had the most support for further consideration. Took some of this feedback on most popular and added it to this later poll which has the pretty much keep it as it is option: http://www.fangm.com/sportstalk/viewtop ... f=7&t=1196
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
stevebarrett24

Post by stevebarrett24 »

If we were to do the generalized time, how general would we be going out of curiousity. Would it just like be like Monday morning, Monday afternoon, and Monday night (3 8 hour time intervals) or would it be broken down more.
DFFL-TITANS 111-17 15-6 126-23
13 10-6 WC (0-1)
14 14-2 DIV CHAMPS 2-1 R-UP OT
15 13-3 DIV CHAMPS 3-0 CHAMPS
16 14-2 DIV CHAMPS 2-1 R-UP
17 15-1 DIV CHAMPS 2-1 R-UP
18 13-3 DIV CHAMPS 1-1
19 16-0 DIV CHAMPS 3-0 CHAMPS
20 16-0 DIV CHAMPS 2-1 R-UP
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

stevebarrett24 wrote:If we were to do the generalized time, how general would we be going out of curiousity. Would it just like be like Monday morning, Monday afternoon, and Monday night (3 8 hour time intervals) or would it be broken down more.
There are a couple options. Not sure exactly, but if that idea in general is supported in this poll and the other about peak/non-peak preferences, we'd dig into that further or get opinions there. Something like you mention above would be likely. Perhaps broken down a little more for an easier transition like 'early morning' or 'late afternoon'. The idea being no exact time in part for avoiding last minute maneuvers as well as adding a little bit of realism to situations where negotiations aren't usually done by stop watch at the exact stroke of a clock, but teams probably generally are given time frames when they know when they generally need to get back to an agent one would think before he signs somewhere else if nobody's calling.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office