2015 RULES: Add another LTC, Restructure

Should we add another LTC and/or contract restructuring option?

LTC: NO keep same number of LTC options.
21%
LTC: YES add another LTC in future seasons.
32%
Restructure: NO keep it same number of contract restrutures.
16%
Restructure: YES add another available contract restructure during regular season.
30%

Total votes: 105

Jared A

Re: 2015 RULES: Add another LTC, Restructure

Post by Jared A »

Franchises aren't a bargain... LTC's often are.

Also... big FA's will ALWAYS hit the open market in the NFL. Simply because you will have players refuse to sign extensions. It wasn't just Suh who hit the open market this year...

Ndamukong Suh
Julius Thomas
Demarco Murray
Mike Iupati
Greg Hardy

All top 100 guys in the real NFL.

The ONE argument that I can say has some merit is the Jason Worilds situation. Maybe players retiring will prevent teams from giving them huge long contracts. (I doubt it).

If we do a 2nd LTC, then the pricing of LTC's needs to be adjusted upwards. Make them more expensive. If you're rated 90 or higher, you automatically go to the franchise values.
Onyxgem

Post by Onyxgem »

Jared A wrote:Franchises aren't a bargain... LTC's often are.

Also... big FA's will ALWAYS hit the open market in the NFL. Simply because you will have players refuse to sign extensions. It wasn't just Suh who hit the open market this year...

Ndamukong Suh
Julius Thomas
Demarco Murray
Mike Iupati
Greg Hardy

All top 100 guys in the real NFL.

The ONE argument that I can say has some merit is the Jason Worilds situation. Maybe players retiring will prevent teams from giving them huge long contracts. (I doubt it).

If we do a 2nd LTC, then the pricing of LTC's needs to be adjusted upwards. Make them more expensive. If you're rated 90 or higher, you automatically go to the franchise values.
Disagree there LTC's are already more than expensive enough and are getting worse and worse every year.
Nathan S.

Post by Nathan S. »

Can't exactly put Greg Hardy on that list.

No one wanted to touch the guy with a ten foot pull after he decided he wanted to kick the shit out of his girl friend and threaten to kill her.
GM Tampa Bay Buccaneers - AFFL
Jared A

Post by Jared A »

LTC's are not "high enough"... Suh is the perfect example. In real life, he just signed a 115 million 6 year deal with 60mil guaranteed.

Franchise tag numbers were 11 million for DT's. Even if Suh was franchised (and extended), he's not going to make anywhere near what he does in real life. He'll make substantially less if he's LTC'd.

I believe the max extension for franchise players is 5 years. Suh would be a (55mil plus 22mil guaranteed 200% SB) 77 million dollar contract and EVEN less if he's LTC'd. 40 mil less than he's making in real life. Those aren't realistic numbers, and are VERY bad if we're wanting to keep a regular pay scale compared to the NFL. The only way to keep it realistic is to maximize the players that hit the open market.
Jared A

Post by Jared A »

Also...

If we do allow a 2nd LTC (which obviously I'm against because of it not paying player appropriately) we should get rid of extending Franchise players.

Right now, teams can already keep two players without allowing them to hit the open market. That's more than enough.
Onyxgem

Post by Onyxgem »

Jared A wrote:LTC's are not "high enough"... Suh is the perfect example. In real life, he just signed a 115 million 6 year deal with 60mil guaranteed.

Franchise tag numbers were 11 million for DT's. Even if Suh was franchised (and extended), he's not going to make anywhere near what he does in real life. He'll make substantially less if he's LTC'd.

I believe the max extension for franchise players is 5 years. Suh would be a (55mil plus 22mil guaranteed 200% SB) 77 million dollar contract and EVEN less if he's LTC'd. 40 mil less than he's making in real life. Those aren't realistic numbers, and are VERY bad if we're wanting to keep a regular pay scale compared to the NFL. The only way to keep it realistic is to maximize the players that hit the open market.
LTC's are NOT meant to be the highest contracts in the game, not sure why you think they should be as they SHOULD NOT....so to even use what a guy got on the open market and compare it to our LTV is silly at best
Ben C.

Post by Ben C. »

Jared A wrote:LTC's are not "high enough"... Suh is the perfect example. In real life, he just signed a 115 million 6 year deal with 60mil guaranteed.

Technically, the franchise tag figure for Suh in the AFFL next year (his contract runs through 2015) is $15,825,999 since his 2015 cap figure is greater than the franchise tag number. So a 5 year extension for him would be $79,129,998 salary plus $31,651,999 signing bonus, totaling $110,781,997 over the 5 year term, which is approximately $5 million less than he would make over a longer period of time.
AFFL Arizona - General Manager
Regular Season Record - 174-66-1
Playoff Record - 13-12
AFFL Bowl Record - 0-2

2x NFC Champions - 2010, 2016
11x NFC West Champions - 2007-12, 2014-15, 2017-18, 2021
AFFL History
Ben C.

Post by Ben C. »

In 2013, I signed Andy Levitre to a LTC. It came with $6,908,000 salary and $13,816,000 signing bonus for an annual cap figure of $9,671,200.

The same year, Andy Levitre signed a six year deal in the NFL, and was one of the highest sought-after free agent guards on the market that year. The average cap figure for the deal is $7,800,000.

Using the LTC feature, the deal he signed in the AFFL was $1,871,200 MORE per year than he received on the open market in real life.

The LTC option is an opportunity for a team to pay either a fair value or a slight premium in order to avoid the risk and uncertainty of the free agent market.
Playoff Record - 13-12
AFFL Bowl Record - 0-2

AFFL History
Jared A

Post by Jared A »

How's Suh's figure higher than the franchise number? Last I knew, SB's aren't incorporated into figuring his salary.

RB's are, but that just puts him at 6.8 mil.
Ben C.

Post by Ben C. »

Jared A wrote:How's Suh's figure higher than the franchise number? Last I knew, SB's aren't incorporated into figuring his salary.

RB's are, but that just puts him at 6.8 mil.
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/are ... thodology/
For franchise tag purposes, salary means a player’s salary cap number, excluding workout bonuses.
Here's another one: http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/l ... /21483535/
The tag is the higher of a) the average of the five previous year's cap percentage for the tag at that player's position, or b) 120% of a player's previous year's cap number, minus performance bonuses.
Playoff Record - 13-12
AFFL Bowl Record - 0-2

AFFL History