2015 RULES: Grades

What are your preferences on player grades?

Use same current public ranking resource (at least until better public free resource available or agreements reached with paid services).
86%
Group of designated GMs here generate player grades.
5%
More open voting system that everyone can get involved in player grades.
No votes
League management generates player grade updates considering a wider variety of inputs once every 4 weeks.
9%

Total votes: 43

Goodell

2015 RULES: Grades

Post by Goodell »

Just to go beyond the discussions and get more data on what people are thinking about our available grade options. Premium grade resources are out there, but not a legal option (unless unlikely agreements reached otherwise). We're always on the lookout and open to other grade alternatives that meet our requirements of public information freely available to anyone that's regularly updated.

A couple options listed for suggested group of GMs generating the grades, as well as something more open to all.

Another option listed for league management privately coming up with a way of taking various inputs from the world and forming their own independent consensus grades based upon a wider variety of player ranking opinions, and updating that once every 4 weeks based upon that research. Only doing it once every 4 weeks instead of weekly as we do now would make that more doable. The exact method for how those grades determined would probably have to remain somewhat private and couldn't be based upon any other one resource directly, but would be grades based upon league management determination with the intention being to not be reliant upon one resource but consider more factors/opinions toward our own conclusions.

It really currently comes down to trusting grades to other GMs here, trusting grades to league management determination, or sticking with an independent outside widely-used open public resource that everyone can access and everyone knows about whether they like everything about that or not.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
RebelFan

Re: 2015 RULES: Grades

Post by RebelFan »

If we could agree on a metric for translating PFF grades into rating changes, something that doesn't rely on opinion, but is objective across the board. I think it would be possible to take 8 GMS (1 for each division) who have PFF subs to look at the PFF grades each week and alter player grades as the metric dictates.
Having a small group of subscribers using the paid info in private and adjusting grades without publishing paid subscription info and material should (perhaps) be a workaround the legal aspect of using subscription info for public use.
I'm pretty sure we have 8 subscribers across the 3 leagues, but whether they would be willing or able to devote their time to such a project is unlikely. And also figuring out a metric to convert weekly pff grades to ratings changes would have to be agreed upon with general consensus. (also unlikely)

This is the only way I could envision any kind of committee working within our framework.
Not that I'm for this, but that's just the only way I could see it working.
I think it's much simpler and easier on commish to just maintain the status quo. What's good and easy for commish is good for the league.
GM - Chicago Bears - AFFL
GM - San Francisco 49ers - DFFL

"Talent Hoarder"
Goodell

Re: 2015 RULES: Grades

Post by Goodell »

The league management grade option is somewhat like what you mention above, converting other inputs into our system metrics. Maybe it's enough cover to convert premium data to a different number here and not publish their information directly, but relying upon one paid resource still could be problematic in those regards possibly. Something to look into more.

The league management grade option probably wouldn't directly list all the resources it's factoring, but would rely upon ones that made the most sense to consider (and might change over the years as new services available for both private/public). It wouldn't move directly with any one resource only or be proved to be dependent upon that premium resource, but would move in combination of many weighted inputs. Perhaps a highly regarded service got full weight into that formula, where madden scores got a lesser weight into the overall calculation but still part of the unique grade determination. It would be something like: we looked at a lot of viable player ranking opinions (as a Madden grader does) and this is what our league determines to be the grades we'll use considering all those things coming to our own conclusions about what matters most.

That could be very good for the league in terms of independence I think and open up some options without some of the legal concerns, if a little more work. It's possible that a committee could do that, but my concern there would be that information/process being less private and more widely known as to what premium information being directly used.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office