2016 RULES: LTC

Should LTC contract calculations be adjusted in the future?

No, keep it the same (top 10 sim salaries from last year at player's grade+2).
61%
Yes, instead use top 5 sim salaries at position from last year as bottom of top 10 salaries can really drive LTC average down.
3%
Yes, keep the same except add LTC FLOOR minimum value just for starting QBs.
11%
Yes, keep the same except add LTC FLOOR minimum value for starting grade players.
17%
Yes, keep the same except add LTC FLOOR minimum value just for all QBs.
No votes
Yes, keep the same except add LTC FLOOR minimum value for all players.
3%
Yes, only compare to top 5 similar grade salaries + LTC floor for starting grade players.
No votes
Yes, only compare to top 5 similar grade salaries + LTC floor for all players.
6%

Total votes: 36

Jared A

Re: 2016 RULES: LTC

Post by Jared A »

Rebel,

No, not franchise numbers. Since there are fewer starting QB's in the league, I'm just stating that "fewer" should go into averaging the QB's LTC.

If we did the top 3 around Kaep's grade, that would give him just under 8mil per year. Long way from franchise value, but much more realistic in terms of actual value.

Ben, I'm not a huge Kaep fan either. However, he is above average. 56 QBR last year was the worst season of his career. His value is much more than 3-4 mil.
Jared A

Post by Jared A »

Troy,

Also, I'm not complaining. I love the league. Just stating that I believe we're better off fixing the little issues now rather than later. In my opinion it only affects QB's... and that is simply because of a lack of total QB's in the league.

Most teams only hold 2... while when you compare LB's, CB's, DT's, DE's, OL, WR, and RB's... they all have at very least 5, and usually more.
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Not to anyone in particular or even within this thread (I think our messages are probably similar in terms of possible fixes). Mostly it's an immediate reaction that happens once an LTC that's deemed lower than it should be is signed with immediately lots of complaints about how low the number is or how is that possible, etc.

I personally think it's probably too low myself in terms of a league generated contract (and not something fairly bid) for a starting player willing to give up his free agent freedom to sign. Thus, introducing possible fixes ahead to that in terms of treating QB calculations slightly different since fewer of them and their importance and that they're usually the ones generating most of the complaints, or adding a floor for LTC system to avoid some of the ones that fall through the cracks for whatever reason that could be avoided if many believe that can be the case sometimes and should be prevented.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
Ben C.

Post by Ben C. »

Jared A wrote: Ben, I'm not a huge Kaep fan either. However, he is above average. 56 QBR last year was the worst season of his career. His value is much more than 3-4 mil.
You and I usually disagree about players, so I'm not surprised. My rationale is that he only has a 60.1% career completion percentage, and even in his best season was only the 15th best QB on PFF. Until he gets more accurate as a passer, I'll only see him as an injury waiting to happen.
AFFL Arizona - General Manager
Regular Season Record - 174-66-1
Playoff Record - 13-12
AFFL Bowl Record - 0-2

2x NFC Champions - 2010, 2016
11x NFC West Champions - 2007-12, 2014-15, 2017-18, 2021
AFFL History
Jared A

Post by Jared A »

Even if he's only the 15-17th best QB in the NFL, which is probably where he is in reality.

If you rank QB's on their value according to salaries... 15-17 are in the range of 10-14 million dollars.