2015 Draft Date

What day would you like our college draft to start? (round 1 on day 1 below, 2 rounds per day after)

Thursday, April 30th evening
6%
Friday, May 1st
48%
Saturday, May 2nd
27%
Saturday, May 16th
10%
Monday, May 18th
8%

Total votes: 48

Ulrich82

Re: 2015 Draft Date

Post by Ulrich82 »

I really wish we'd push the draft back a few days to a week next year. The early draft is interesting if you can watch the draft closely, but we have a lot of people here unable to do so. I had some family things this weekend that kept me from closely watching the draft, and I ran into a big problem when I had a late first or third round pick. Troy hadn't had time to add the actual NFL picks in yet, and I was relying largely on preset draft lists where I was guessing on draft position because I was away from home and unable to follow the draft. I almost picked a fifth round player in the third because everyone else in my queue had been selected, and I was only able to check in with 3 minutes on the clock.

I'm using personal instances here, but I think there are several people who may be in a similar boat. I get that people generally like the early draft, but when it puts significant strain on the GMs who have very limited time during the draft.

I think it is important to finish the draft before teams start minicamps, but there is no reason we can't take a few days so everyone has time to finish their plan.
CFFL SF 49ers since 2010
NFC West Champions: 2011, 2012, 2013 , 2014, 2015
Undefeated 2013-2014 Regular Season

AFFL:
Assistant GM with Car Panthers since 2012
Carolina Panthers GM Since 2014
RebelFan

Post by RebelFan »

I totally agree and I'm glad I'm not the only one.
Doing the draft this way doesn't seem to be in keeping with the idea of allowing casual users the same opportunities and advantages as someone who just is able for whatever reason to sit in front of the computer all day with nothing else to do.
I've been working a market this weekend and I feel like I've been working three jobs this whole time. My own, studying what happened in the actual daft, and running my teams.
I know this is the way the league voted to do it this year, but I would implore those who did vote to start our draft the day after the real one to reconsider for next year and wait at least a couple of days if not a week.
There were some guys who I was interested in in the first round, but was afraid to pick them not not knowing where they go in real life. If we don't even have time to wait for the 2nd round to finish before we start our own 1st, then we need to slow down. I know the draft is fun & exciting & the best part of this league to most, and we've been looking forward to it all offseason, but the whole thing would be a lot more enjoyable (to me at least) if there were opportunity to watch and enjoy the real draft and perhaps even absorb a little bit of that information before diving headlong into our draft. After all, EVERYTHING we do in this league is dependent upon what the real teams do.
GM - Chicago Bears - AFFL
GM - San Francisco 49ers - DFFL

"Talent Hoarder"
kevinl

Post by kevinl »

Again I will say, we need to wait a week at minimum after real draft. What is there to do anyway once draft is over? A week would give everyone ample time to study where each player fits into that teams system. What if the Eagles wouldve traded for Mariota on Friday night but those picked Winston over him due to fit with team? That's just one example but it could happen in the future.
jerrydlux

Post by jerrydlux »

I would agree that the timing of the draft was not ideal. Starting on a work day at noon for most people probably wasnt best. I think it took away a lot of the action in the first couple round in terms of trades. Changing the time does not guarantee more people will be active during the draft but I would not vote for the friday start again like I did this year.
jmdaz44

Post by jmdaz44 »

I agree, I did not like the start of the draft this year. I missed my first round pick because of the different start time. Also, it's incredibly helpful to know where guys actually get drafted ahead of time. I wasted time scouting some guys for the 2nd and 3rd rounds on here that didn't actually go until the 5th in real life. I don't see why we need to rush our draft. Once it's over, there's not a lot going on here until it's time for roster cuts right before the season.
CFFL Houston:
2013: 7-9
2014: 9-7
2015: 10-6 - Wildcard (0-1)
2016: 12-4 - AFC South Champ (0-1)
2017: 11-5 - AFC South Champ (1-1)
2018: 12-4 - AFC South Champ (1-1)
2019: 13-3 - Wildcard (4-0 - CFFL Champions)
sportznut

Post by sportznut »

Every year some guys here push to have the draft start on a weekday, and its never made sense to me. I realize not everyone works the same hours, or is from the same place, but I've always contended you'll get the most participation by starting round 1 on a Saturday, and having the first 3 rounds over the course of the weekend.
AFFL- Raiders
MLBSA- Tigers
WLSB- Marlins
JonC

Post by JonC »

As far as weekday vs. weekend, I couldn't care less, as I'm just as busy doing family things on weekends as I am with work during the week, but I definitely would agree this wasn't as positive as past years...and I voted for a Friday start. Learning from my mistake!
DFFL Steelers GM: '13-'22
Regular Season Record: 77-85 (.475)
Division Championships: ’13, ’14, ’19
AFC WC Team: ’20

AFFL Bills GM: '20-?
Regular Season Record: 20-30 (.400)

BRFL Chargers GM: '21-?
Regular Season Record: 17-17 (.500)
AFC WC Team: '22
Knighty Knight

Post by Knighty Knight »

Yeah I voted for Friday and learned my lesson as well. It's a lot more helpful planning out my board when I know where players are truly valued. I had many guys I would've taken in the 2nd or 3rd that dropped to much later rounds. It also helps knowing what positional guys I can target in certain ranges as well trading back for later picks. I'll be voting for later date next year.
Brian Orr
AFFL New York Giants (48-51)(2-2) 2022, 2023 NFC East Champions
BRFL Washington Commanders (10-7)(0-1)
DFFL Miami Dolphins(103-76)(3-5) 2018 AFC East Champions
Ben C.

Post by Ben C. »

Are we really doing the 5th round comp picks in the middle of the night tonight? If so, I think that needs to be looked at for next year, especially since the comp picks can't be traded away to someone who can be online during the time slot.
AFFL Arizona - General Manager
Regular Season Record - 174-66-1
Playoff Record - 13-12
AFFL Bowl Record - 0-2

2x NFC Champions - 2010, 2016
11x NFC West Champions - 2007-12, 2014-15, 2017-18, 2021
AFFL History
sportznut

Post by sportznut »

Ben C. wrote:Are we really doing the 5th round comp picks in the middle of the night tonight? If so, I think that needs to be looked at for next year, especially since the comp picks can't be traded away to someone who can be online during the time slot.
Yeah, we've never done that before. I'd rather in the future, we cut the rounds to 10 minutes instead of 12, or just roll the rest of the round into the following day.
AFFL- Raiders
MLBSA- Tigers
WLSB- Marlins