2015 Season Update

whteshark

Re: 2015 Season Update

Post by whteshark »

I find it funny that GM's get so frustrated when a team gets a good deal but I hear no complaints when a team over pays for a player.

I think it evens out over the long term and with 2 LTC's this year, it will be a lot harder to get a deal as there are less players in the free agent pool than in years past.

If there's anything we should be concerned about it's teams using free agency to stock pile draft picks because they have so much cap space from blowing their teams up year in and year out.
Last edited by whteshark on Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Regular Season: 161-79-1
Playoff Appearances: 10 of 16
Division Titles: 9
Conference Titles: 5
Playoffs: 17-7
AFFL Bowls: 3-2

AFFL Bowl I Winner
AFFL Bowl IV Winner
AFFL Bowl VIII Winner
soonertf

Post by soonertf »

I'd like to know where those bargains are, because I sure haven't seen any in recent years! :lol:
AFFL - Dallas Cowboy's GM
Regular Season Record - 109-72
Playoff Record - 12-4
AFFL Bowl Record - 3-0

3x AFFL Champions - 2009, 2011, 2018
3x NFC Champions - 2009, 2011, 2018
6x NFC East Champions - 2007, 2009-13
Onyxgem

Post by Onyxgem »

whteshark wrote:I think this is an interesting option. More bids on day 1 would be a good way to keep ridiculous bargains from happening.
I find it funny that GM's get so frustrated when a team gets a good deal but I hear no complaints when a team over pays for a player.

I think it evens out over the long term and with 2 LTC's this year, it will be a lot harder to get a deal as there are players in the free agent pool than in years past.

If there's anything we should be concerned about it's teams using free agency to stock pile draft picks because they have so much cap space from blowing their teams up year in and year out.[/quote]

Disagree about that, not everybody should have to build their team one way or another if a team wants to user free agency to sign guys and trade them to get draft picks to eventually better their team we shouldn't be telling them they can't do that.
Jared A

Post by Jared A »

I've always thought we should do FA in tiers... B+ and higher players the first week, then moving onto B and lower players.

But, that's just me.
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Adjusting free agency further to incorporate some kind of tiers or waves of players is worth at least discussing, but bringing in a 2nd LTC this year could make enough changes that we may not want to change too many things at one time. This year's change could really impact the amount of quality free agents available, and that itself could reduce some of the things that used to slip through with more free agents previously. If a 2nd LTC doesn't change some of the things that some are wishing were different, those could be topics for adjustments for next year's free agency.

If we throw too many changes all at once into the mix, may not know what worked and what didn't. Definitely like the feedback, though, to keep in mind.

We will probably make a couple more tweaks to free agency (if supported) but I think they'll probably be smaller (like increasing bid requirements for larger SBs required in certain cases, etc.) so we don't change too many big things all at once.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
jmdaz44

Post by jmdaz44 »

Definitely against the wave system. If a GM doesn't like his chances at getting the big fish or is on a budget, why can't he target a lower player right off the bat and hope to get a bargain? That sounds like smart and savvy management to me, and absolutely does happen in the NFL. Maybe not for the minimum, but lower-tier players can and do sign early in FA just to make sure they have a job next season. I don't see a problem with that at all. If people are so concerned about other GMs getting "bargains", then watch for them and use your bids to prevent it. If it matters that much, put your money where your mouth is and bid that player up.
CFFL Houston:
2013: 7-9
2014: 9-7
2015: 10-6 - Wildcard (0-1)
2016: 12-4 - AFC South Champ (0-1)
2017: 11-5 - AFC South Champ (1-1)
2018: 12-4 - AFC South Champ (1-1)
2019: 13-3 - Wildcard (4-0 - CFFL Champions)