This Season and Beyond

Goodell

This Season and Beyond

Post by Goodell »

Sorry for any frustration with sim schedules this year. I wanted to address some of that and propose some changes ahead. Just FYI we should be able to do another sim week soon (probably tomorrow).

Regarding behind behind... it's very important to me that prior to the trade deadline each season that games are simmed fairly quickly and depth charts remain unlocked more, because that's the only way teams can process trades. Once the trade deadline passes, though, there isn't any more trading and some of the urgency decreases. The only reason to have depth chart unlocked after the trade deadline is to allow those weekly small lineup tweaks -- and being behind doesn't prevent that. It just has to be done slightly differently (sending a PM to me with your change). I'm in many baseball sim leagues that are much more complex for weekly lineup changes that involve keeping excel spreadsheets or downloading programs, etc. Sending a quick PM to say change my starting RB to this guy instead is pretty simple in my opinion. So I don't worry quite as much about being behind after the trade deadline because there is a work-around for that with depth chart changes and the off-season is very long and often without much activity, so stretching out the season for us isn't the end of the world from my perspective.

However, I'd love things to happen more efficiently and am sorry for frustration that causes players here. There are some other factors that come into play with being behind, probably the most just being inconsistency of league activity. I get that.

I'd love that to change, but unless my work situation changes where I can just work on my own private projects 100% of the time as I wish (send your winning lottery tickets!), I don't really see some of my challenges with keeping up changing in years ahead. Unfortunately (or rightfully so from another perspective) priorities and responsibilities also shift over the years. I don't wish to just close down shop here either, so don't worry about that (unless we can't find solutions).

But shifting of ways and finding those new solutions probably are in order for the betterment of everyone and to ensure continuation of the games into the future...

So I am going to step back completely from the weekly data gathering in future seasons. If not some stat service (no luck in the past but will continue to explore next year), I think we'll have to have a group of helpers responsible for stat gathering each week (perhaps alternating so we don't wear them out too). More assisting there would ideally get everything done more efficiently and keep things on a more regularly consistent schedule. In the past I've been open to some of that and even had someone help me catch up at one point, but I think we'll really have to shift completely to an entirely new approach that isn't dependent completely on my free time.

I'll call for volunteers now to help finish out this season and to perhaps start to get an idea of how that might work in the future. Send me a PM if you'd be interested. Otherwise I'll keep cranking ahead getting a couple sim weeks done a week as we finish up this season and start to think about future ones. Thanks for your patience.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
Strategist

Re: This Season and Beyond

Post by Strategist »

I will volunteer to do anything that is needed. I almost always have a few free hours each day on a computer. So I am available almost every day just let me know what you need.
DFFL - DAL 09-20: 113-63 .642 (6-5) 3X DIV Champs. 6 Playoff apps. DFFL Bowl I Champs
CFFL - NYG 10-12: 34-13-1 .708
AFFL - WAS 13-19: 53-59 .473 (5-3) '14, '15, & '17 Div, '17 AFC Champs
FFFL - PIT 16-17: 45-19 .703 (3-3) '16-18 Div, 16' AFC Champs
Ben C.

Post by Ben C. »

While I'm finding it much harder to find free time these days, I would be willing to help out as much as possible.
AFFL Arizona - General Manager
Regular Season Record - 174-66-1
Playoff Record - 13-12
AFFL Bowl Record - 0-2

2x NFC Champions - 2010, 2016
11x NFC West Champions - 2007-12, 2014-15, 2017-18, 2021
AFFL History
Onyxgem

Post by Onyxgem »

I am also very willing to help out with whatever needs to be done.
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Thanks to all who contacted me. Strategist, tino38, Ben C., and jerrydlux are helping gather game stats to finish up the regular season. Several others contacted me as well to offer assistance, for which I'm thankful. I think next season right from the start we'll have either a new solution or a team of helpers who can knock that out each week in a consistent manner, where the workload is shared across multiple people and one person's schedule won't impact everyone else.
stevebarrett24

Post by stevebarrett24 »

Goodell wrote:Thanks to all who contacted me. Strategist, tino38, Ben C., and jerrydlux are helping gather game stats to finish up the regular season. Several others contacted me as well to offer assistance, for which I'm thankful. I think next season right from the start we'll have either a new solution or a team of helpers who can knock that out each week in a consistent manner, where the workload is shared across multiple people and one person's schedule won't impact everyone else.
Great, Tino is helping there goes my chance to win the DFFL. LOL!!!!!!
DFFL-TITANS 111-17 15-6 126-23
13 10-6 WC (0-1)
14 14-2 DIV CHAMPS 2-1 R-UP OT
15 13-3 DIV CHAMPS 3-0 CHAMPS
16 14-2 DIV CHAMPS 2-1 R-UP
17 15-1 DIV CHAMPS 2-1 R-UP
18 13-3 DIV CHAMPS 1-1
19 16-0 DIV CHAMPS 3-0 CHAMPS
20 16-0 DIV CHAMPS 2-1 R-UP
tino38

Post by tino38 »

stevebarrett24 wrote:
Goodell wrote:Thanks to all who contacted me. Strategist, tino38, Ben C., and jerrydlux are helping gather game stats to finish up the regular season. Several others contacted me as well to offer assistance, for which I'm thankful. I think next season right from the start we'll have either a new solution or a team of helpers who can knock that out each week in a consistent manner, where the workload is shared across multiple people and one person's schedule won't impact everyone else.
Great, Tino is helping there goes my chance to win the DFFL. LOL!!!!!!
All your guys get a negative update!!! :twisted:
BRFL Saints (31-20) (3-0)
- NFCS Champ: 23’
- NFC Champ: 23’
- SB Champ 23’
AFFL Patriots (97-82) (8-4)
-AFCE Champ: 16', 22’, 23’
-AFC Champ: 22’
-SB Champ: 22’
DFFL Jets - SB Champ 21’ & 22’
FFFL Jets - SB Champ 17’ & 18’
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Know that's kind of joking, but in a non-joking response that was something I do worry about in general with bringing in more helpers. I am doing some spot checks (particularly involving the team of the helper and their opponent that week), but in general trust the group. However, there is a link on the site already that allows people to double-check their game inputs. You get to it from the scores link, then 'view updates'. We may promote that more ahead as we have other people helping as a double-check mechanism so if anyone has any concerns they can check over their data prior to a scheduled sim. We'll be doing these last week hopefully more frequently now, though, and I plan on simming the next week late tonight.
tino38

Post by tino38 »

Goodell wrote:Know that's kind of joking, but in a non-joking response that was something I do worry about in general with bringing in more helpers. I am doing some spot checks (particularly involving the team of the helper and their opponent that week), but in general trust the group. However, there is a link on the site already that allows people to double-check their game inputs. You get to it from the scores link, then 'view updates'. We may promote that more ahead as we have other people helping as a double-check mechanism so if anyone has any concerns they can check over their data prior to a scheduled sim. We'll be doing these last week hopefully more frequently now, though, and I plan on simming the next week late tonight.
Understood, however yes only joking! I helped with the week 16 update anyways Steve
BRFL Saints (31-20) (3-0)
- NFCS Champ: 23’
- NFC Champ: 23’
- SB Champ 23’
AFFL Patriots (97-82) (8-4)
-AFCE Champ: 16', 22’, 23’
-AFC Champ: 22’
-SB Champ: 22’
DFFL Jets - SB Champ 21’ & 22’
FFFL Jets - SB Champ 17’ & 18’
stevebarrett24

Post by stevebarrett24 »

tino38 wrote:
Goodell wrote:Know that's kind of joking, but in a non-joking response that was something I do worry about in general with bringing in more helpers. I am doing some spot checks (particularly involving the team of the helper and their opponent that week), but in general trust the group. However, there is a link on the site already that allows people to double-check their game inputs. You get to it from the scores link, then 'view updates'. We may promote that more ahead as we have other people helping as a double-check mechanism so if anyone has any concerns they can check over their data prior to a scheduled sim. We'll be doing these last week hopefully more frequently now, though, and I plan on simming the next week late tonight.
Understood, however yes only joking! I helped with the week 16 update anyways Steve

I got nothing but love for you Tino, I trust you to do it right.
DFFL-TITANS 111-17 15-6 126-23
13 10-6 WC (0-1)
14 14-2 DIV CHAMPS 2-1 R-UP OT
15 13-3 DIV CHAMPS 3-0 CHAMPS
16 14-2 DIV CHAMPS 2-1 R-UP
17 15-1 DIV CHAMPS 2-1 R-UP
18 13-3 DIV CHAMPS 1-1
19 16-0 DIV CHAMPS 3-0 CHAMPS
20 16-0 DIV CHAMPS 2-1 R-UP