2016 RULES: 2 LTC Specifics

Which LTC adjustments do you prefer?

ELITE SALARY FLOOR: All 88/B+ or higher players = 75% of positional franchise tag minimum.
7%
ELITE SALARY FLOOR: All 93/A or higher players = 75% of positional franchise tag minimum.
23%
ELITE SALARY FLOOR: All 88/B+ or higher players = grade% (88-99%) of positional franchise tag minimum.
No votes
ELITE SALARY FLOOR: All 88/B+ or higher players = 65% of positional franchise tag minimum.
7%
--- QB SALARY FLOOR: 50% of QB franchise tag minimum for other QBs with non-elite lower grades.
23%
--- QB SALARY FLOOR: 75% of QB franchise tag minimum for all QBs no matter their grade.
4%
--- QB SALARY FLOOR: Grade% (0-99%) of QB franchise tag minimum for all QBs no matter their grade.
4%
NO-TRADE: 1-year no-trade clause on all but the longest option this year, with no-trades on all LTCs in future.
5%
NO-TRADE: 1-year no-trade clause on all but the longest option.
5%
NO-TRADE: Keep no-trades as is (only 2 or 3 yr short deals not on 4 or 5 year deals).
23%

Total votes: 114

Goodell

2016 RULES: 2 LTC Specifics

Post by Goodell »

Per popular support (35 to 4 so far) we'll be adding an additional LTC (2 total) for this upcoming season. However, before we expanded LTCs I wanted to try to tighten up the system to prevent some of the worst examples from falling through the cracks for wildly unrealistic league-generated contract values.

You can choose one option above the different elements of LTC restrictions under discussion, based primarily on other poll opinions. The highest support in another LTC poll this off-season was for an additional LTC but with a salary floor for QBs and elite players only, so these options focus on that supported direction zeroing in on new rule specifics.

- Elite Salary Floor: To ensure that the very elite players who make the biggest difference do not get odd circumstances (like huge signing bonuses or contract restructures) that lead to unrealistically low LTC values generated. We're deciding what grade level to apply a salary floor to (B+ or A players), and what percentage of a positional franchise tag that should be set. There are only 79 players with 93/A grade or higher and 212 with 88/B+ or higher.

One thing to keep in mind with these LTC salaries is that the LTC options include additional signing bonus on top of that from 50% to 200% of the LTC salary generated depending upon the option selected.

- QB Salary Floor: As QBs are fewer in number for LTC salary comparison, and historically some of our most extreme differences from reality LTCs have been for starting QBs with NFL realities for starting QB values skyrocketing. Elite QBs (B+ or A) could fall into the elite player floor above, with a lower minimum standard for the non-elite grade players as one option. Or we could treat QBs minimum floors separately entirely where all QBs no matter their grade get the same treatment. QB franchise tag is around $20M so 50% is 10M minimum for lower rated QBs (where higher graded QBs would be subject to the elite floor of 75% minimum). If 75% for all QBs is the number most supported, that's $15M minimum for all QB LTCs no matter their grade. If the choice was to base percentage min on grade, a 90-graded QB would get 18M LTC (90% of tag) while 77-grade QB would get 15.4M LTC (77% of tag value).

- No-Trade: On a poll about no-trade opinions, the most supported restriction for expanding no-trades was LTCs. Above there's an option to move toward no-trades on all LTCs in the future (but leave the 5-year option still available for trade for just this transition year), as well as keeping LTC no-trades as is.

Once these poll specifics come into shape, I hope to have new league year finances setup next week with LTC options opening also soon prior to free agency.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
Goodell

Re: 2016 RULES: 2 LTC Specifics

Post by Goodell »

CONCLUSION: I have adjusted the LTC scripts for two LTCs this year. Adjustments to the LTC calculated values will be:

- All 93/A or higher players = 75% of positional franchise tag minimum.

- QB SALARY FLOOR: 50% of QB franchise tag minimum for other QBs with non-elite lower grades.

We will keep the same contract structures for LTCs, including the 1-year no-trade clause being limited to the short 2- or 3-year deals only (not the 4- or 5-year deals).

I am working/testing those scripts now. Before I turn on LTC options for all and open up the floodgates, take a look and let me know if there are any problems you notice with generated figures. You can select your own roster players, as well as searching for any player to see their LTC options generated. http://www.fangm.com/football/ltc-check.php

I hope to clean up any problems noted soon, and turn on LTCs and tagging (as well as unlock rosters for cuts/retirements/restructures) at some point here soon this week. Thanks.
robroach

Post by robroach »

I know this is kind of late, but what if we put some restrictions on the second LTC. I was thinking about some specific restrictions that would bring about a lot more strategy. Here's my suggestion: The second LTC becomes available after the trade deadline is over and ends before the last game of the season. Making it an in season LTC - which happens in the NFL. Teams would also have to budget for it. Also, this particular LTC is for players that have played for your team only. So it is home grown talent. Another consideration might be that this particular LTC is for players with a year plus left on their original contract. So GMs would have to project a little bit on who's going to be good and who's not.
jerrydlux

Post by jerrydlux »

Are our Franchise values based on real NFL? Just looking at my LTC option on Harrison Smith and it will jack up his price because he needs to make 75% of the franchise value....even though the highest paid player was $8million and the LTC value was around $2mil.

Has anyone else noticed major discrepancies at other positions?
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

jerrydlux wrote:Are our Franchise values based on real NFL?
Yes.

Elite A-grade players in the past sometimes getting unrealistically low LTC compared to elite players in the NFL was a big part of why I and most voted to add in salary floors for the elite grade players, so that if the league was going to allow elite players to never hit free agency to determine their value than at least the league generated value option for them was based upon what real elite players make for top level players on average at their position in the NFL.