2016 Off-Season Update

sportznut

Re: 2016 Off-Season Update

Post by sportznut »

Quick question about the DC. I wasn't sure where to put it, so I'll ask here.

Corey Harkey is on my team, and is a FB/TE, but when I look at my o-line grade, he's not factored in although he should be.

Why doesn't he show up there? My o-line is in rough shape, and his grade would definitely help.
AFFL- Raiders
MLBSA- Tigers
WLSB- Marlins
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

sportznut wrote:Quick question about the DC. I wasn't sure where to put it, so I'll ask here.

Corey Harkey is on my team, and is a FB/TE, but when I look at my o-line grade, he's not factored in although he should be.

Why doesn't he show up there? My o-line is in rough shape, and his grade would definitely help.
When I looked at it quickly, Harkey has a 6.0 grade. The OL without him has a 6.1 grade. Adding a 6.0 grade to 6.1 average only hurts it (although not very much since they're almost the same). The only way a FB or blocking TE grade gets factored into the average is if their grade his higher than the average otherwise and their grade increases the average. If their grade is the same or lower than the OL grade, they won't help it mathematically so aren't included. When injuries and other factors come into play during the regular season and if that caused that OL average to go lower than the FB's grade, then the FB grade would become part of it if it was higher.

Thanks
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
sportznut

Post by sportznut »

Goodell wrote:
sportznut wrote:Quick question about the DC. I wasn't sure where to put it, so I'll ask here.

When I looked at it quickly, Harkey has a 6.0 grade. The OL without him has a 6.1 grade. Adding a 6.0 grade to 6.1 average only hurts it (although not very much since they're almost the same). The only way a FB or blocking TE grade gets factored into the average is if their grade his higher than the average otherwise and their grade increases the average. If their grade is the same or lower than the OL grade, they won't help it mathematically so aren't included. When injuries and other factors come into play during the regular season and if that caused that OL average to go lower than the FB's grade, then the FB grade would become part of it if it was higher.

Thanks
Okay, I see. I was looking more along the lines of him replacing my lowest rated o-lineman in the mix. Thanks.
AFFL- Raiders
MLBSA- Tigers
WLSB- Marlins
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

sportznut wrote:Okay, I see. I was looking more along the lines of him replacing my lowest rated o-lineman in the mix. Thanks.
Yup. For clarification for all, an OL grade is required to include those 6 offensive lineman (5 positional starters and a backup) no matter what. A FB can't replace an OL in the OL grade. You can't have a high graded FB replace a guard on the offensive line or anything. The FB can't be your starting center. The OL grade is primarily a measurement of the offensive line strength and the score primarily comes from offensive lineman grades.

A blocking TE or FB can contribute in a smaller way (equivalent to how much a backup OL counts -- half of what an OL starter counts) to the OL grade, but only if their individual grade is higher than the OL grade and helps move the average up. thanks
sportznut

Post by sportznut »

Yeah, I just misread the DC. I certainly wasn't implying that my FB was going to replace someone on the OL, but thought he'd replace the guy at the end of the DC (in other words the backup or 7th guy in line) if he had a better grade.

No big deal.
AFFL- Raiders
MLBSA- Tigers
WLSB- Marlins
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

As the 53 man roster cut-down deadline is later this week and our regular season is approaching, we've transitioned away from the off-season salary cap rules (where only the top 51 players count against your cap) to now where every player on your roster counts against the cap and you must have 53 active players or less by Thursday, 9/8.

If this switch puts your over the salary cap, that's understandable at this time. Technically all teams have 48 hours to correct salary cap problems, and it's close to that amount of time left until all teams must be at the 53 man roster limit and under cap by 9/8.

The other change that happens with regular season cap is that if you're under 53 active players, you get the empty roster spot charge now. It's really to your advantage to actually sign a real person who has potential to be valuable down the road instead of just paying the empty roster spot charge for a blank uniform filler, but in regular season cap mode all teams must pay 53 active players at all times even if don't have 53 actual players.
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Also as we approach the start of the regular season, click on your DEPTH CHART link and make the appropriate changes. The league went through and updated missing depth charts (especially for the new leagues) using the highest rated players for depth chart order.

Depth charts lock for players once their real team plays, so real life Broncos and Panthers will be locked in your depth chart on Thursday night. All other players get locked prior to the start of NFL games on Sunday morning, so take some time to update your depth chart prior to the upcoming NFL games. Your depth chart tells our game simulator which players you want to focus your game plan around. A runner, receiver, and returner will be pulled into the game simulation action beyond the depth chart if you have a bench player perform well, but you want to make sure you have your best guys in the depth chart to ensure they're game stats are uploaded.
Ben C.

Post by Ben C. »

Goodell wrote:As the 53 man roster cut-down deadline is later this week and our regular season is approaching, we've transitioned away from the off-season salary cap rules (where only the top 51 players count against your cap) to now where every player on your roster counts against the cap and you must have 53 active players or less by Thursday, 9/8.

If this switch puts your over the salary cap, that's understandable at this time. Technically all teams have 48 hours to correct salary cap problems, and it's close to that amount of time left until all teams must be at the 53 man roster limit and under cap by 9/8.

The other change that happens with regular season cap is that if you're under 53 active players, you get the empty roster spot charge now. It's really to your advantage to actually sign a real person who has potential to be valuable down the road instead of just paying the empty roster spot charge for a blank uniform filler, but in regular season cap mode all teams must pay 53 active players at all times even if don't have 53 actual players.
At what time on 9/8 is the deadline?
AFFL Arizona - General Manager
Regular Season Record - 174-66-1
Playoff Record - 13-12
AFFL Bowl Record - 0-2

2x NFC Champions - 2010, 2016
11x NFC West Champions - 2007-12, 2014-15, 2017-18, 2021
AFFL History
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Ben C. wrote:At what time on 9/8 is the deadline?
Kickoff of the first NFL game. 8:30PM ET on Thursday. After that time, I'll be contacting teams over their limits/cap. We won't sim our first game, which would usually be on the Tuesday following an NFL week, until all teams are in compliance. For teams over their caps/limits and unresponsive to messages, the league will temporarily take over those teams and perform actions to get all in compliance.
JonC

Post by JonC »

For clarification:

When we place a player on PUP or IR, they are eligible to come back here if they do in real life, correct?
DFFL Steelers GM: '13-'22
Regular Season Record: 77-85 (.475)
Division Championships: ’13, ’14, ’19
AFC WC Team: ’20

AFFL Bills GM: '20-?
Regular Season Record: 20-30 (.400)

BRFL Chargers GM: '21-?
Regular Season Record: 17-17 (.500)
AFC WC Team: '22