2016 DATES: Draft

When would you prefer the college draft take place?

Friday 5/27 PM - Monday 5/30
79%
Monday 5/30 PM - Thursday 6/2
16%
Tuesday 5/31 - Friday 6/3
5%
Saturday 6/18 - Tuesday 6/21
No votes

Total votes: 43

Goodell

2016 DATES: Draft

Post by Goodell »

Friday May 27th was the popular choice for the tentative draft start date when we did a poll earlier this off-season. I mentioned in my comments of that poll that initially I forgot that was Memorial Day weekend. There were other choices, but 5/27 still won anyway.

Now that we're getting closer and people have a better idea what they're doing, I was going to check in on draft time again. I'll have the draft queues ready to go this weekend. We also have some pressing matters to attend to for league openings to fill.

Just so some of the people who haven't done one of our drafts know, we typically do round 1 on the first day then two rounds a day for a couple more days. You'll know ahead of time what day and exact time your pick window will be available (such as Saturday at 10am) to plan around. If you can't be there at that time, you'll also be able to pre-rank players into your queue so you'll get the top available player by your own ranking if not there to pick. If you don't have any players left in your queue, you'd get the highest undrafted player by NFL draft order, so still usually a pretty decent pick as highest available selection from NFL draft order.

Had a busy couple of weeks at work, but ready to get the draft stuff going and planning on having everything needed done for a possible 5/27 start. But if a lot of people have other plans and wish to push the draft off, I wanted to get that feedback in terms of numbers. We'll never have a perfect date for 96 teams, but trying to do what works best for most. I can't run the draft in early June as I'll be away on family vacation. I have some stuff on Memorial Day weekend also but can check in every now and then to see if any problems, as well as make my picks when time.

But select what date works best for you, and we'll see if most are ready to go on Friday as initially penciled in or if most now prefer to start after the holiday weekend. Thanks
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
sportznut

Re: 2016 DATES: Draft

Post by sportznut »

No more delays. Just my .02
AFFL- Raiders
MLBSA- Tigers
WLSB- Marlins
JonC

Post by JonC »

I'm pretty indifferent as to most of the choices, but the weekend of the 18th is Father's Day.

As far as delays, we're either going to have more time to prep now and less time to be bored after the draft or less time to prep and more time to be bored after the draft.
DFFL Steelers GM: '13-'22
Regular Season Record: 77-85 (.475)
Division Championships: ’13, ’14, ’19
AFC WC Team: ’20

AFFL Bills GM: '20-?
Regular Season Record: 20-30 (.400)

BRFL Chargers GM: '21-?
Regular Season Record: 17-17 (.500)
AFC WC Team: '22
Onyxgem

Post by Onyxgem »

sportznut wrote:No more delays. Just my .02
Agree
sportznut

Post by sportznut »

JonC wrote:I'm pretty indifferent as to most of the choices, but the weekend of the 18th is Father's Day.

As far as delays, we're either going to have more time to prep now and less time to be bored after the draft or less time to prep and more time to be bored after the draft.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but as I mentioned earlier, we've waited longer this season (and offseason) then ever before. To be honest, I'm tired of waiting.

But more importantly, I'm also in two baseball leagues, and the absolute last thing I want to have to do is prep for a football draft and two baseball drafts at the exact same time, when its perfectly unavoidable.

I also dislike the lack of starting on a Saturday options, but maybe that's just me.

I'm not concerned about "being bored." I have plenty to keep me busy, especially during the summer months.
AFFL- Raiders
MLBSA- Tigers
WLSB- Marlins
JonC

Post by JonC »

Oh I completely agree re: baseball draft and football draft. I have the same conflicts there. I'm not saying that we should wait, simply that many of those clamoring to start even earlier than listed are the same folks who get on here in July and August to post about how dead it is. We have so much off-season down time that it's hard for me to get riled up about when we draft.

That said, I'd prefer my draft in football not conflict with my drafts in baseball.
DFFL Steelers GM: '13-'22
Regular Season Record: 77-85 (.475)
Division Championships: ’13, ’14, ’19
AFC WC Team: ’20

AFFL Bills GM: '20-?
Regular Season Record: 20-30 (.400)

BRFL Chargers GM: '21-?
Regular Season Record: 17-17 (.500)
AFC WC Team: '22
soonertf

Post by soonertf »

I think everyone should be prepped by now (with exception of new gms taking over). I'm also curious on why Sat start isn't an option but I'm good with Friday. Only doing rd 1 will spread it out enough it shouldn't be an issue for those working that day.
AFFL - Dallas Cowboy's GM
Regular Season Record - 109-72
Playoff Record - 12-4
AFFL Bowl Record - 3-0

3x AFFL Champions - 2009, 2011, 2018
3x NFC Champions - 2009, 2011, 2018
6x NFC East Champions - 2007, 2009-13
sportznut

Post by sportznut »

soonertf wrote:I think everyone should be prepped by now (with exception of new gms taking over). I'm also curious on why Sat start isn't an option but I'm good with Friday. Only doing rd 1 will spread it out enough it shouldn't be an issue for those working that day.
I'm offering to help mentor VinolinaPanthers, should he need it.

I think others should follow suit.

There will be GMs who won't want the help, and that's okay too.
AFFL- Raiders
MLBSA- Tigers
WLSB- Marlins
bpboguta1483

Post by bpboguta1483 »

I like the fact that the draft is spread out over a couple of days instead of trying to cram 7 rounds in one day, as much as I like preparing for the draft, it would make for a long day, plus you don't have to worry so much about queing a ton of players if you can't be available for the entire day.
Nathan S.

Post by Nathan S. »

bpboguta1483 wrote:I like the fact that the draft is spread out over a couple of days instead of trying to cram 7 rounds in one day, as much as I like preparing for the draft, it would make for a long day, plus you don't have to worry so much about queing a ton of players if you can't be available for the entire day.
How we have done it since pretty much the inception of the league is 1-2 rounds a day. With the higher rounds having longer time slots for picks versus the late rounds.
GM Tampa Bay Buccaneers - AFFL