PS signings and roster limits

robroach

Re: PS signings and roster limits

Post by robroach »

So..........how does this work?

I had a player on my practice squad. Another team signed him to an offer sheet. I was waiting until after Sunday to see what role he would play before I decided to match or not. And now the team that signed him to an offer has cut him, making him available for waivers. I honestly just want him back on my practice squad.
Knighty Knight

Post by Knighty Knight »

robroach wrote:So..........how does this work?

I had a player on my practice squad. Another team signed him to an offer sheet. I was waiting until after Sunday to see what role he would play before I decided to match or not. And now the team that signed him to an offer has cut him, making him available for waivers. I honestly just want him back on my practice squad.
Yeah sorry about that. He just got cut by Seattle and I wasn't going to pay him two game checks waiting another week.

I think it really doesn't impact anything though. If you matched, you'd have to clear a roster spot, he wouldn't go back to your practice squad. If he clears waivers, then you can add him to your practice squad. If he's claimed by another team, he'd have a spot on their 53 man roster. I'm not sure if you'd retain matching rights. Might be the risk of waiting when deciding to match.
Brian Orr
AFFL New York Giants (48-51)(2-2) 2022, 2023 NFC East Champions
BRFL Washington Commanders (10-7)(0-1)
DFFL Miami Dolphins(103-76)(3-5) 2018 AFC East Champions
VinceO

Post by VinceO »

Alright, I'm gonna be that guy. I've been in the league for several weeks now, and I think that's enough to start proposing rule changes. For those who know me in BNSL, this is going to come as precisely zero surprise.

I do think we ought to change the way we handle practice squad signings and matching rights. My proposal would be as follows:

1. The team that owns a player's rights can sign him immediately, simply by making a qualifying offer (meeting the $450k/$760k guidelines) with no 24-hour waiting period. I think this mirrors both practice and intent of NFL practice squads. The whole point is to have break-glass-in-case-of-emergency guys available. There would need to be some kind of minimum tenure requirement, though, so teams can't use a 5-minute stay on the practice squad to lock other teams out and get an auto-sign at minimum salary.
2. If a team other than the player's current team makes him a contract offer, the owning team is notified and - during the 24-hour-clock bid process - simply needs to match the highest offer rather than beat it by 5%. But, should they go 24 hours without doing so, the player is signed immediately like any other player with an uncountered offer. I believe that this addresses the seemingly conflicting 48-hour and 1-week timelines as well as giving the current team an advantage in retaining the player (which certainly seems legit - given equal offers, wouldn't the default be to stay where you've been practicing?) but allowing for timely movement should they choose not to match.

Start shooting arrows, Beeeeyatches!
EFFL Vikings