Off-Season Rules Discussion - Open Mike

sportznut

Re: Off-Season Rules Discussion - Open Mike

Post by sportznut »

Everyone here is on different schedules. I get that. Some here are perfectly fine drafting all day while supposedly at work.

My access tends to be limited, so my only complaint about making the process longer, is that I have to commit more days to attempt to find time to actually be around for my pick(s), and of course, that doesn't take into account trading up or down.

For me personally, I have always preferred that the early rounds were done on the weekend, so I knew I could be around for an extended period of time to make those picks.

Getting back to what I mentioned, people are auto picking every single year. They just don't have a box to check that they're not going to be around.

Whether you check a box, and it automatically takes the highest guy in your queue, or you wait 3 hours, and it takes the highest guy in your queue, its still auto drafting.

I guess that's my main point there, but maybe some people would never check the box, HOPING they'd be around to make the pick, when in reality most people know if they'll have the time or not.
AFFL- Raiders
MLBSA- Tigers
WLSB- Marlins
KevMonk

Post by KevMonk »

Ben C. wrote:My two cents - any changes to the game should be put on the back burner this year so Goodell can finally focus on finding a way to speed up the sim process (i.e. program some set up for GMs to help in the process while ensuring checks and balances to prevent corruption/collusion).

Maybe a system where on the players page, there's a "submit weekly box score" and everyone submit the weekly stats for their player? To avoid cheating, the system checks it against the other league submitted stats, if all 5 leagues match up, the Sim is ready? Could lighten the load, but idk anything about the stat collection process currently used so idk if this is helpful
Aftermath2531

Post by Aftermath2531 »

Its not a rule change proposal but how about adding a trophy room to each teams home page. Just a little box with dated miniature SB trophies and a listing of total division and conference championships.(Division X2 - Conference X1)
Also we should add a history tab so we can start listing our Super Bowls for each league. I'm sure some of the Fan GM vets already have this information somewhere to help out. Just a couple of thoughts so let me know what you think.
Car(DFFL)6-6
'14 5-11
'15 13-3 Div/NFC
'16 13-3 Div
'17 12-4
'18 12-4
'19 9-7
'20 11-5
'21 14-3 Div
Ten(FFFL)8-5
'16 14-2
'17 13-3 Div
'18 12-4 Div
'19 12-4
'20 15-1 Div/SB
'21 14-3 Div
Ten(AFFL)5-1
'19 6-10
'20 11-5 SB
'21 12-5
Cle(CFFL)1-1
'21 11-6
Goodell

Re: 2016 Off-Season Update

Post by Goodell »

rabbitrun wrote:Similar to what Cleveland did with essentially Trading cap space for a draft pick and Osweiler I think we should look into being able to trade the guaranteed portion of our contracts just like they can in the NFL.
I've tried to do a little research into understanding the salary cap complexities of deals like this. Our salary cap setup is intentionally simplified so that it fits NFL realities in general, but doesn't get too overwhelming into the finite small print details. I want things to be realistic but not that our sim teams need to hire a lawyer or capologist just to play either.

Articles are all over the place with salary cap talk for that deal. I don't know for sure that situation is very different from what we do here now. From this salary cap resource, for example, it shows HOU still having 9M on their salary cap this year in dead money from trading him (unaccounted for guaranteed money) and him having no signing bonus now listed on his new team. That's a lot like what we already do here. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/cap/

One difference from reality, though, is that we don't have guaranteed and unguaranteed annual salary. That gets complicated with our bidding and gameplay. So we treat the signing bonus as the only guaranteed salary (other than during the regular season for vetted veterans).

I'm open to looking into changing our rules, or at least discussing it to match some of the options NFL teams have under the salary cap, but not sure I fully understand all the fine print details or how we could do some things in a way that didn't hurt the gameplay here by over complicating matters. If people have links that make transactions like that easier to understand how we could integrate them into our system, I'd love to look into it more. Just not sure there's an easy answer for what we could practically change or that perhaps we aren't as different from that reality as it seems.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
MikeMitch

Post by MikeMitch »

"by Jared A on Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:51 am

I think it might be a good idea to be able to "accept" trades prior to them being processed."

I thought this was a good idea and didn't want to see it get passed over
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

MikeMitch wrote:"by Jared A on Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:51 am

I think it might be a good idea to be able to "accept" trades prior to them being processed."

I thought this was a good idea and didn't want to see it get passed over
It won't. It's something that's actually just more in the realm of what I can do with the existing systems and what can be reasonably reprogrammed. It's not something I need a poll on, but just something that may be implemented if I can figure the programming on it within existing programming. There are some things about that which are very difficult in our system. We can't have player moving around from team to team while I'm in the middle of simming dozens of games where a player is on one sim team one moment playing in one game and on a different team the next minute playing multiple sim games a week. That's part of why things are frozen while I'm simming games, along with teams not able to change their depth charts after the fact benching players who end up having bad games in reality before the sim, etc. So there are very critical reasons why we freeze transactions while we're simming games. I do have some thoughts on possibilities for that suggestion that wouldn't interfere with that process that creates another level of transaction status pending and doesn't interfere with why we freeze things, and I'm going to see if something can be done there this off-season. No promises on that because I don't know for sure if all the programming tweaking will work or not yet, but it's something that'll be looked at.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
Chad55

Post by Chad55 »

Could we possibly take a look at changing the LTC values? With the way the Madden grades have changed where some 90 graded player's dropped to the 80's, or 80 graded player's dropped to the 70's the player's grade who dropped is inflating the value of some contracts.

An example is Ricky Wagner in Affl, adding in his SB I believe he will have a contract right around 12 mill a year. There are 2 other player's that play the same tackle position who's contracts are over 13 mill apiece and there grades have dropped either below or right at Wagner's, but there salary is affecting the price of the LTC contrsct.

I'm just not sure if there is a way to factor in s big drop of a player that is getting paid a big salary, which doesn't justify with the grade, or it's probably just the risk a team takes with using the LTC maybe.
AFFL-Cleveland Browns
-2013 AFC North Champs
-2014 AFC North Champs
-2016 AFC North Champs
-2018 AFC North Champs
-2020 AFC North Champs

FFFL Jacksonville
-2021 Super Bowl Champs
-2022 AFC Champs
*Retired after 2022 season*
Nathan S.

Post by Nathan S. »

Chad55 wrote:Could we possibly take a look at changing the LTC values? With the way the Madden grades have changed where some 90 graded player's dropped to the 80's, or 80 graded player's dropped to the 70's the player's grade who dropped is inflating the value of some contracts.

An example is Ricky Wagner in Affl, adding in his SB I believe he will have a contract right around 12 mill a year. There are 2 other player's that play the same tackle position who's contracts are over 13 mill apiece and there grades have dropped either below or right at Wagner's, but there salary is affecting the price of the LTC contrsct.

I'm just not sure if there is a way to factor in s big drop of a player that is getting paid a big salary, which doesn't justify with the grade, or it's probably just the risk a team takes with using the LTC maybe.
Agreed. As an owner of a few of those 90s who turned into 80s, I see the effects first hand.
GM Tampa Bay Buccaneers - AFFL
whteshark

Post by whteshark »

Chad55 wrote:Could we possibly take a look at changing the LTC values? With the way the Madden grades have changed where some 90 graded player's dropped to the 80's, or 80 graded player's dropped to the 70's the player's grade who dropped is inflating the value of some contracts.

I agree, Chad, I think the LTC figures are out of whack because of the Madden grades dropping so much.

Take Kevin Minter for example. He's going to cost me 9 million a year on a 2 year and 10 million a year on a 5 year. He's only rated a 77 and is an average LB at best. I don't mind paying a little more to keep him off the market but using the top 15 players instead of the top 10 might make it a little more manageable.

Just my two cents.
Regular Season: 161-79-1
Playoff Appearances: 10 of 16
Division Titles: 9
Conference Titles: 5
Playoffs: 17-7
AFFL Bowls: 3-2

AFFL Bowl I Winner
AFFL Bowl IV Winner
AFFL Bowl VIII Winner
Becca

Post by Becca »

I may be missing something here and if so please advise but just because some contracts were signed by the GMs choice, doesn't seem like it warrants change just because the players grade fell and now no longer is appropriate for said player. I don't see any GMs wanting to change the LTC system when a player is signed cheap and then the players rating jumps upward and the player is playing at a discounted price though I'm sure the player would greatly appreciate getting a boost in pay for revisions to the system.