Off-Season Rules Discussion - Open Mike

HollyWest19

Re: Off-Season Rules Discussion - Open Mike

Post by HollyWest19 »

Only let's 3 TEs count towards the grade regardless of depth chart, wouldn't mind seeing it be 4 to fit all real life formations
Fish

Post by Fish »

HollyWest19 wrote:That's not true though, you can run a 4 TE 1 RB formation on Madden called Hulk. If it's in the game, it must be a real teams play. Also, if you have a guy that's a TEWR, then why can it only be 3, if he's a WR as well as a TE?
Missed this, but we were going down the same path.

However, don't forget this is not Madden as someone pointed out to me earlier. ;)
EFFL - Steelers
Record - 42-9
2017 EFFL Champions

sportznut

Post by sportznut »

HollyWest19 wrote:
sportznut wrote:
Tito wrote:Getting away from all that

Why can only 3 TEs count towards your grade? Once I sign a player, shouldn't I decide who counts towards the grade? I should be able to run a 5 wide all TE package if I want...
That's not a realistic formation. No team in the history of time has ever run that offense.

But, you can use TEs to help your WR grade already.

That's not true though, you can run a 4 TE 1 RB formation on Madden called Hulk. If it's in the game, it must be a real teams play. Also, if you have a guy that's a TEWR, then why can it only be 3, if he's a WR as well as a TE?
I'd be okay with any formation that is a legal formation, both offensively and defensively. Just like you can't start 5 centers on your line, there are certain parameters. But you argue that you can run a formation of 4 TEs and 1 RB, when I commented on someone wanting to run 5 TEs.

Also, if you use a TE in a WR slot, its not as if you can clone that TE to play both WR or TE. His grade still only counts once.
AFFL- Raiders
MLBSA- Tigers
WLSB- Marlins
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Appreciate all the discussion about rules or changes. Discussion is never bad, and encouraged. But also know no changes discussed now will be implemented until the earliest next off-season following scheduled off-season rules discussions about such topics next off-season. We don't change rules on the fly after teams already are building their rosters for existing rules. I keep tabs on such discussions throughout the year, but may not comment too much as enjoying this designated break time before the busy season. Not that I need to put in my .02 on everything anyway. Just good sometimes to listen to other ideas and possibly add some of the ones that are most doable or most in line with the site vision or most popular among players to future rule discussion topic notes for that time.

About the recent formations discussion. We don't really run formations or play out the game results like a video game. Our GM-based game is all about rewarding quality and depth of the overall roster across all positions.

The requirements for positions that make up grade averages are based upon the idea of measuring team-building strengths. In theory, any team could on any given play do any kind of odd formation within the NFL rules (our sim isn't that detailed in deciding formations before the snap, only the end result stats). You can imagine anything within the basic play-by-play printouts into whatever formations or decisions lead to that generated end result.

However, if you were making a game that measured how strong the GM roster building was, it wouldn't be based upon if their roster was good for a gadget play or odd formations in my opinion. It would be based upon the quality of players in positional groups, as ours was designed. It really isn't anything about any kind of coaching strategy or play calls or formations. Ours isn't a coaching game, but a GM game. It's about overall team strength at obvious positional areas.

Nothing is saying that on any given 3rd down a sim team didn't do some kind of odd formation where they trot out 3 TE or whatever. If a sim team had a lot of TEs with a lot of NFL game stats, they are going to get a lot of sim TEs making catches in the sim. Nothing is to say there weren't odd 4 TE formations that lead to lots of TE catches that show up in the sim box score.

So yes, if you loaded up on TEs on your sim roster and weak at WR, you'd probably get a lot of your TEs making sim catches because we bring in players even off the depth chart into game action based upon their NFL production. That might theoretically mean lots of odd TE-heavy formations lead to all those TE catches we could imagine.

But our game doesn't let teams ignore more expensive WRs and only load up on cheaper TEs to boost grade averages. We reward strong overall team building across the board, not finding odd ways to get around things less realistically.

There are ways to try to "game the system" or think outside the box (depending upon your perspective). TEs are historically cheaper than quality WRs both in the NFL and here. We treat both equally as receivers, though, for grade considerations. We aren't all about encouraging loopholes or ways to find competitive advantages through unusual positional configurations in the programming here.

Our roster building game isn't about how players are lined up before the snap or what play called on the field, but instead the quality of the roster overall. It's about team building fundamentals of a strong OL, strong defense, and quality skill position players who'll be graded high and produce strong actual results on NFL field.

We want to reward team strength overall across all positions, not oddness of roster configuration.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
Strategist

Post by Strategist »

Talk about drop mic. Goodell shut every one up. Lol.
DFFL - DAL 09-20: 113-63 .642 (6-5) 3X DIV Champs. 6 Playoff apps. DFFL Bowl I Champs
CFFL - NYG 10-12: 34-13-1 .708
AFFL - WAS 13-19: 53-59 .473 (5-3) '14, '15, & '17 Div, '17 AFC Champs
FFFL - PIT 16-17: 45-19 .703 (3-3) '16-18 Div, 16' AFC Champs
Knighty Knight

Post by Knighty Knight »

Strategist wrote:Goodell
Brian Orr
AFFL New York Giants (48-51)(2-2) 2022, 2023 NFC East Champions
BRFL Washington Commanders (10-7)(0-1)
DFFL Miami Dolphins(103-76)(3-5) 2018 AFC East Champions
Fish

Post by Fish »

I probably missed it, but didn't see this on the old site. How much unspent cap space can a team carry over to the next year?

Was just reading:

"The cap floor is currently at 89%, which allows teams to pocket 11% of the allowed salary cap limit on a four-year average rather than spent it on players. Using the 2017 cap of $167MM, that theoretically means that each team can bank as much as $18.37MM. In any given year, roughly one-third of teams will view themselves as non-contenders, so the possibility for mass frugality is there."
EFFL - Steelers
Record - 42-9
2017 EFFL Champions

Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Fish wrote:How much unspent cap space can a team carry over to the next year?
Per our off-season rules discussion two months ago, we had a vote on this topic and support for increasing the carryover amount from 5M in the past to 10M this season.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1419&start=10#p16323
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
Fish

Post by Fish »

Okay thanks.
EFFL - Steelers
Record - 42-9
2017 EFFL Champions