Off-Season Rules Discussion - Open Mike

Fish

Re: Off-Season Rules Discussion - Open Mike

Post by Fish »

No I do not think it will have significant impact on top tier talent, definitely don't see how it would destroy the game.

Teams cannot go over their cap at anytime for a bid? I didn't try so am not certain. If they can, I would restrict that. Assuming they cannot, and a team makes an unrealistic or ridiculous bid, let them have the player? Just because you or I want a player doesn't mean their contract needs to be a certain level. You are giving up picks for top talent either way and I would rather go make a trade than sign a bad FA deal that may harm my team for years to come. My older brother used to drive up the bid in Rook and poker all the time, just have to let the hand go or call their bluff sometimes.
EFFL - Steelers
Record - 42-9
2017 EFFL Champions

VinolinaPanthers

Post by VinolinaPanthers »

After another season or two, you'll change your views completely. Limited bid's is and always will be the best way to go.

If anything, I would like to see EFFL have unlimited bids only. That way they see how it will negatively effect the game without ruining the established leagues.
10-6
12-4
10-6
Fish

Post by Fish »

Was the AFFL ever unlimited bids? You act like you know definitively and there couldn't be any other possible outcome.
EFFL - Steelers
Record - 42-9
2017 EFFL Champions

VinolinaPanthers

Post by VinolinaPanthers »

1. LTC's would become irrelevant because of the inflated contracts.

2. The number of teams tanking for max cap space would double.

3. The FA process would take over a month because team's would intentionally sabotage others with minimal bids.
10-6
12-4
10-6
jerrydlux

Post by jerrydlux »

I believe you can make a bid that puts you over the cap. Since bids are not guaranteed you sign the player, you dont know if you have used up that cap space or not. They would then have X amount of time to get back under the cap through restructures/cuts/trades...

I dont think they could place another bid if they are over the cap though, but im not certain
Fish

Post by Fish »

If that is the case, I would change that for sure. I think the site should track all your bids and not let you make any bid at any time that could put you over your cap.

Has AFFL tried unlimited bids? If not, you don't know for certain. I could be wrong, but I doubt anothercouple years will change my opinion since I've wanted an eBay style system with unlimited bids in our baseball leagues for at least half a decade.
EFFL - Steelers
Record - 42-9
2017 EFFL Champions

jerrydlux

Post by jerrydlux »

I don't think a bid that puts you over salary cap is an issue. Once signing the player you can make moves to get back under. Bidding on players while over the cap (which I'm not certain is possible) would be an issue.
Fish

Post by Fish »

I don't think you should ever allow a GM to spend money they don't have. Since it seems that is unlikely to change, I hope I get to see some of these bids trying to drive prices up backfire in their faces.
EFFL - Steelers
Record - 42-9
2017 EFFL Champions

Ben C.

Post by Ben C. »

The bids are limited to simulate the time it takes a team to "woo" a free agent. Yes, it is theoretically possible for a GM to talk to every available safety, but realistically they only pay attention to a few. Having a limited number of bids adds realism and as such, this is something that will not change.

For the record, the system has always had the 5 bid limit. It is something Troy has repeatedly defended strongly as an important part of what he wants the site to be. The limits also have very strong support among established players.

So, in summary, we will never see unlimited bids in free agency.
AFFL Arizona - General Manager
Regular Season Record - 174-66-1
Playoff Record - 13-12
AFFL Bowl Record - 0-2

2x NFC Champions - 2010, 2016
11x NFC West Champions - 2007-12, 2014-15, 2017-18, 2021
AFFL History
Fish

Post by Fish »

:( It is disappointing that a phrase like "we will never ___" comes up in a thread specifically for discussing possible changes, really sets a good tone for discussions and exploration.

Thanks though. That does answer my earlier question as to whether the league has ever had unlimited bidding so for all we know it wouldn't ruin the league.
EFFL - Steelers
Record - 42-9
2017 EFFL Champions