2018 Free Agency Tweaks

jerrydlux

Re: 2018 Free Agency Tweaks

Post by jerrydlux »

why cant you just hold that money and put it on your C+ player? I think it limits the free agent pool and could help set a market value as well.
Nathan S.

Post by Nathan S. »

Fish wrote:Unlimited bids would eliminate the steals we see now, but do you really think it would drive prices above realistic levels?
There are steals in real life. If a player is really a STEAL why is none of the other 31 teams bidding on them.
GM Tampa Bay Buccaneers - AFFL
Fish

Post by Fish »

Pro Bowl players don't sign on the first day of FA for league minimum. That doesn't happen. If a vet signs for league minimum, it later as their options dwindle.
EFFL - Steelers
Record - 42-9
2017 EFFL Champions

Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Fish wrote:Unlimited bids would eliminate the steals we see now, but do you really think it would drive prices above realistic levels?
Here's the thinking on unlimited and limited bidding...

Unlimited bidding for the home teams on their own players is that intended home team advantage you brought up earlier. Most sim teams are able to get several of their own UFAs back, especially younger backup type players, because they aren't limited in bidding on those while other teams are and other teams don't prioritize young backups so most of those go through to the home team unlimited bids early. That helps mirror NFL reality where a lot of those types of players tend to stay with their team and home and coaches they know more, unless another team is out there that wants to break the bank for them. I think it's a good thing that home teams can keep a lot of their younger backups to develop, outside of the ones who get high demand for paydays elsewhere. That seems right for a team building long-term game and seems realistic.

Limited bidding on other teams is intended to both improve sim gameplay and represent the reality that NFL teams ARE limited. NFL teams don't have unlimited time or unlimited resources. NFL teams have to prioritize their targets in reality in free agency. They don't send out 90 offers on day one. They probably are talking to a handful of people at a time, not hundreds of players/agents in one day.

Most good players at reasonable deals probably do get signed BECAUSE of our game play limitations. Because teams have to decide if they are going to let this pending free agent sign or use one of their precious limited bids left on him, or let him sign and put that bid somewhere else. Maybe they wish they could put in a bid but already used theirs up for the day. That's part of the game and setting priorities/strategy. Unlimited bidding for all is something to think about, but surely takes out a lot of the "game" and excitement and skill needed to play a winning strategy. Our sim teams, like NFL teams, have to set priorities and try to out-play the competition.
Last edited by Goodell on Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
Knighty Knight

Post by Knighty Knight »

I do not think the system is perfect. Fish brings up an interesting perceptive on the number of bids constraint.

*EDIT: After reading Commish's reasoning I'm fine with no changes to current model aside from focusing on building a more robust bid score tool.

One area I think we can improve upon is the algorithm that is used to score the bids. It's a great start but what I noticed is that it tends to value short term high SB to low base salaries. Free agents typically sign longer term contracts 4 or 5 years. The first year of base salary should be calculated as guaranteed in that regard. That way in the example below the 3 year contract is considered a better deal.

Ex:

CURRENT TOP BID COUNTER OFFER
Annual Salary: Annual Salary:
2,300,000 per year 775,000 per year
Years: Years:
3 1
Signing Bonus: Signing Bonus:
4,500,000 4,500,000
Roster Bonus: Roster Bonus:
0 0

BID SCORE: 48.6763157895
1.39473684211 x (11400000 + 4500000 + 5x3800000)
Cap/YR: 3,800,000
Total: 11,400,000 | Guaranteed: 4,500,000

TEST YOUR COUNTER OFFER: 66.9888625592
1.85308056872 x (5275000 + 4500000 + 5x5275000)
Cap/YR: 5,275,000
Total: 5,275,000 | Guaranteed: 4,500,000
Last edited by Knighty Knight on Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Orr
AFFL New York Giants (48-51)(2-2) 2022, 2023 NFC East Champions
BRFL Washington Commanders (10-7)(0-1)
DFFL Miami Dolphins(103-76)(3-5) 2018 AFC East Champions
Fish

Post by Fish »

Limited time and funds sure, but we have those limitations built in already by our caps and the off-season schedule. However, as long as players are available, teams are free to negotiate with any number of players as long as they remain available. I just don't think we need to limit teams to a 24-hour clock or handful of bids., but I'm new and have little context.
EFFL - Steelers
Record - 42-9
2017 EFFL Champions

Nathan S.

Post by Nathan S. »

Fish wrote:Pro Bowl players don't sign on the first day of FA for league minimum. That doesn't happen. If a vet signs for league minimum, it later as their options dwindle.
I don't know what league you are in or what details this is but you should message your other GMs and ask why no one else wanted to bid on a Pro Bowl player if he were so cheap. Seems more like you fucking up and complaining afterwards.

If people are too expensive.. bitching. If they are too cheap.. bitching.
Fish

Post by Fish »

Nathan S. wrote:
Fish wrote:Pro Bowl players don't sign on the first day of FA for league minimum. That doesn't happen. If a vet signs for league minimum, it later as their options dwindle.
I don't know what league you are in or what details this is but you should message your other GMs and ask why no one else wanted to bid on a Pro Bowl player if he were so cheap. Seems more like you fucking up and complaining afterwards.

I guess we just disagree on the problem. You seem to think 24 hours is fine and if you didn't use one of your 5 bids to prevent a star from signing for league min, tough shit. I'm smarter or better at this than you.

I think the league parameters aren't setup to create a realistic market. Why the hell would I sign a contract on the first day of FA without talking to another team? I'd take that league minimum offer and say I'll get back to you in a couple months if I don't get a better deal.
EFFL - Steelers
Record - 42-9
2017 EFFL Champions

Nathan S.

Post by Nathan S. »

Fish wrote:
Nathan S. wrote:

I guess we just disagree on the problem. You seem to think 24 hours is fine and if you didn't use one of your 5 bids to prevent a star from signing for league min, tough shit. I'm smarter or better at this than you.

I think the league parameters aren't setup to create a realistic market. Why the hell would I sign a contract on the first day of FA without talking to another team? I'd take that league minimum offer and say I'll get back to you in a couple months if I don't get a better deal.
Why don't we find real people to play the roles of each player and let the decide what team they prefer on their own preferences.
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

I think there probably is something to think about regarding those types of 1-year minimum deals and it probably being unrealistic for them to be signed on day one in reality. I don't want to overly complicate free agency, but there may be something to explore regarding some changes happening to options at different times. We do that a little right now after peak free agency is over. It's something to at least think about limiting the kinds of deals real veterans sign once all their options dry up until later in free agency compared to allowing people to try to sneak those through on day 1.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office