2018 Free Agency Tweaks

tino38

Re: 2018 Free Agency Tweaks

Post by tino38 »

Fish wrote:Since you asked, because I have 2 ~B TEs already on the roster. Why bid and risk having 3? Particularly when I'm saving money for LTCs and the draft. I am new to this, but wasting your cap on players you don't need sounds like the kind of thing an inexperienced GM may do.
This is just an FYI because you are new, but the system isn't stuck on so many WRs or so many TEs. If you had 5 A & B rated TEs and only C rated WRs your grade would be based off of your 5 highest rated players at that position group. Your depth chart could be set up completely different though with 4 C rated WRs and 2 A&B TEs or whatever combo you pleased. Just passing along
BRFL Saints (31-20) (3-0)
- NFCS Champ: 23’
- NFC Champ: 23’
- SB Champ 23’
AFFL Patriots (97-82) (8-4)
-AFCE Champ: 16', 22’, 23’
-AFC Champ: 22’
-SB Champ: 22’
DFFL Jets - SB Champ 21’ & 22’
FFFL Jets - SB Champ 17’ & 18’
Jared A

Post by Jared A »

along those lines... it is a MAXIMUM of 3 TE's
Fish

Post by Fish »

Appreciate the advice, but I didn't bid because I don't think I need 3 TEs. With 53 players and a hard cap, just doesn't seem like a smart way to use my resources. Honestly, I'm not sure you even need a TE or FB.
EFFL - Steelers
Record - 42-9
2017 EFFL Champions

Fish

Post by Fish »

Replying to slow, keep missing posts.

Anyway, let me just add I'm not trying to be critical, just think that is a way the process could improve. Maybe some other GMs will weigh in later, only been a few hours.
EFFL - Steelers
Record - 42-9
2017 EFFL Champions

tino38

Post by tino38 »

Jared A wrote:along those lines... it is a MAXIMUM of 3 TE's
It is? Guess I've never had 4 or 5 great TEs to roll out but I missed that. Dang there goes my new plan lol
- SB Champ 23’
Ben C.

Post by Ben C. »

tino38 wrote:
It is? Guess I've never had 4 or 5 great TEs to roll out but I missed that. Dang there goes my new plan lol
Yes, I believe someone in the AFFL fielded a team of 4 TEs in the early years. That didn't seem realistic, so we implemented the minimum/maximums in the depth chart.
AFFL Arizona - General Manager
Regular Season Record - 174-66-1
Playoff Record - 13-12
AFFL Bowl Record - 0-2

2x NFC Champions - 2010, 2016
11x NFC West Champions - 2007-12, 2014-15, 2017-18, 2021
AFFL History
tino38

Post by tino38 »

Ben C. wrote:
tino38 wrote:
Yes, I believe someone in the AFFL fielded a team of 4 TEs in the early years. That didn't seem realistic, so we implemented the minimum/maximums in the depth chart.
Is this depth chart only or is it grades as well? Also Under Depth Chart in the notes Goodell has this spelled out, so disregard my comment earlier as I am a moron.
- SB Champ 23’
Ben C.

Post by Ben C. »

tino38 wrote: Is this depth chart only or is it grades as well? Also Under Depth Chart in the notes Goodell has this spelled out, so disregard my comment earlier as I am a moron.
It plays into how the grades are calculated. You must follow the minimum/maximum as listed on the depth chart page in the notes.

Example:

Team A has all tackles and no centers or guards. The depth chart requires 2 tackles, 1 center, 1 guard, and a flex. So, the system would count the top 2 tackles, the next tackle to play guard, and then give 0s for the remaining center and guard positions.
AFFL Arizona - General Manager
Regular Season Record - 174-66-1
Playoff Record - 13-12
AFFL Bowl Record - 0-2

2x NFC Champions - 2010, 2016
11x NFC West Champions - 2007-12, 2014-15, 2017-18, 2021
AFFL History
Jared A

Post by Jared A »

Ben C. wrote:

Like there was any doubt.... IT WAS ME!!! :)

Personally, I loved my 4 TE sets... we were bad asses!
Troy S

Post by Troy S »

Another thing to keep in mind for teams that aren't really building through free agency or only looking in limited ways there... if you keep your eye out anyway for those bargains that look like they're going to sign below what you think they should, even if it's a player you don't need, it's likely they'll be good TRADE assets to have at below-market prices. In the off-season we have expanded rosters. Load up on as many players as you want up to 90. The higher the quality of that depth the better and the more options you'll have. Get 10 TEs if you find some great bargains. Even if you think you'll only have 3 on your final roster months from now, it's great insurance against injuries and if you end up with too much quality at one position to keep there usually are teams looking for upgrades to their roster and you can turn around a bargain signing into a future draft pick with a trade.

If you hate free agency and aren't winning high demand bid wars, maybe some advise is to just keep an eye out for those "steal" signing situations and put in a bid before they get signed below market. Maybe you'll walk away with a couple of those under the radar bargains and free agency won't be as frustrating.

From a league perspective, we want as many players as we can getting fair prices. We don't want too many under-value bargains slipping through the cracks. We can change rules perhaps toward some of that, but beyond that it's somewhat on teams themselves to take advantage of great opportunities to snap up those bargains (even if not a player they especially need) and smart GMs can trade that player away later if it turns out they don't need that particular quality player at an affordable price (others probably could use that). If you don't have a high signing bonus on them and no trades materialize, just cut the excess players before the season without it costing you. So I'd advise all teams to be on the lookout for those bargain deals as assets for both quality depth, insurance against injury, and tradable asset opportunities to improve your squad.