TE/FB vs TE/WR

JerseyJet

TE/FB vs TE/WR

Post by JerseyJet »

Sorry if this has been covered in the past, but i can't seem to find any posts regarding the qualifications for a player to be eligible for either one of these labels. Is it a clear cut number of receptions? targets? from the previous year, or an average of multiple years? Also, how does a rookie TE get treated? need to prove at NFL level, or go by college receiving stats?

thanks for any input.
DFFL: Baltimore Ravens
2015 AFC North Champions
2016 AFC North Champions
2017 AFC North Champions
Goodell

Re: TE/FB vs TE/WR

Post by Goodell »

JerseyJet wrote:Sorry if this has been covered in the past, but i can't seem to find any posts regarding the qualifications for a player to be eligible for either one of these labels. Is it a clear cut number of receptions? targets? from the previous year, or an average of multiple years? Also, how does a rookie TE get treated? need to prove at NFL level, or go by college receiving stats?

thanks for any input.
We may come out with defined measurements if deemed necessary ahead, but for the most part it's a bit subjective and leaning toward designating higher rated players with strong receiving stats as TEWRs. The exception would be someone rated highly but universally known mostly for their blocking prowess and not much of a receiver (that's probably more theoretical than actual examples in reality). I try to go through and look at the highest rated TEs who aren't TEWRs each year and bump most of them up to TEWR unless they are known as blockers and don't catch much.

College players are different because no NFL stats yet. For the most part, higher round draft picks who caught a lot of college would be deemed TEWR worthy. I may not catch those myself if they have a lower grade in their rookie season before playing in NFL.

You can send me a PM for such cases and I'll take a look and switch to TEWR if makes common sense. Or just click on the player's name and go to the link to suggest a position change for them and it'll be considered.

Thanks!
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office