madden ratings

rpete10

madden ratings

Post by rpete10 »

i think one of the topics we need to talk about is eliminating madden as our ratings for players. we need to use a more updated system like pff or something along those lines. my best example is the low grade for my lineman that sat at the low 70s even though they were starters and it didn't change through the year. offensive and defensive line are big factors in the calculations for win and loses in this game. what does everyone think.
CFFL Tampa Bay
2022 10-7

EFFL DETROIT
2022 11-6
Goodell

Re: madden ratings

Post by Goodell »

It's a frequent topic of discussion each off-season, but head's up on that. We cannot use premium information that isn't publicly available free for anyone. I can't post information here free that people have to pay for at the source otherwise.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
stevebarrett24

Post by stevebarrett24 »

rpete10 wrote:i think one of the topics we need to talk about is eliminating madden as our ratings for players. we need to use a more updated system like pff or something along those lines. my best example is the low grade for my lineman that sat at the low 70s even though they were starters and it didn't change through the year. offensive and defensive line are big factors in the calculations for win and loses in this game. what does everyone think.
Madden could be better but it's the best and probably only option. I also have 3 guys in DFFL who started in real life on my online who are ranked between 73 and 67 but you know what just because they start in real life doesn't mean they are good. As much as I want Joe Barksdale, Nick Easton and Wes Schweitzer to be ranked higher, they probably are rated correctly and are just the best option for their teams in real life.
DFFL-TITANS 111-17 15-6 126-23
13 10-6 WC (0-1)
14 14-2 DIV CHAMPS 2-1 R-UP OT
15 13-3 DIV CHAMPS 3-0 CHAMPS
16 14-2 DIV CHAMPS 2-1 R-UP
17 15-1 DIV CHAMPS 2-1 R-UP
18 13-3 DIV CHAMPS 1-1
19 16-0 DIV CHAMPS 3-0 CHAMPS
20 16-0 DIV CHAMPS 2-1 R-UP
bpboguta1483

Post by bpboguta1483 »

I would have to say as well Madden is probably the best option we have. I don't agree with all their ratings but for the most part I have no complaints. I would say really research the player, know their strengths and weaknesses. I remember when I first joined the league where under the rules it gave a guideline on getting players with A's and B's ratings and where it really didn't emphasize on technique. Have to say not completely true, an example of this is my MLB Jarrad Davis. Very good 2 down backer against the run but at times he struggled against the pass, and yes it will reflect in a players rating, now how Madden derives their ratings I'm not sure but PFF does a very good job at that. Just a thought on that
jmdaz44

Post by jmdaz44 »

The Madden ratings are not perfect, but we are all in the same boat. A radical idea would be to institute a minimum rating here if a guy is starting in the NFL. Not saying that's what I want to happen - just trying to brainstorm ways to overcome low rankings for NFL starters. This would take a lot of research and there would be a lot of fluctuation as guys gain/lose jobs. Probably not practical, but again, just brainstorming.
CFFL Houston:
2013: 7-9
2014: 9-7
2015: 10-6 - Wildcard (0-1)
2016: 12-4 - AFC South Champ (0-1)
2017: 11-5 - AFC South Champ (1-1)
2018: 12-4 - AFC South Champ (1-1)
2019: 13-3 - Wildcard (4-0 - CFFL Champions)
rpete10

Post by rpete10 »

Goodell wrote:It's a frequent topic of discussion each off-season, but head's up on that. We cannot use premium information that isn't publicly available free for anyone. I can't post information here free that people have to pay for at the source otherwise.
i'm not am expert on the laws for this issue but I thought if you bought something it was your to do with as you wanted. you just couldn't charge for it. like buying a movie and watching it with friends. you paid for the item or service but are not making a profit or charging for it so you are free to use it. since you don't charge for this league that this falls into that area. again i'm not an expert or trying to argue it just trying to understand it better
CFFL Tampa Bay
2022 10-7

EFFL DETROIT
2022 11-6
rpete10

Post by rpete10 »

bpboguta1483 wrote:I would have to say as well Madden is probably the best option we have. I don't agree with all their ratings but for the most part I have no complaints. I would say really research the player, know their strengths and weaknesses. I remember when I first joined the league where under the rules it gave a guideline on getting players with A's and B's ratings and where it really didn't emphasize on technique. Have to say not completely true, an example of this is my MLB Jarrad Davis. Very good 2 down backer against the run but at times he struggled against the pass, and yes it will reflect in a players rating, now how Madden derives their ratings I'm not sure but PFF does a very good job at that. Just a thought on that
the bad part is how do you research with not knowing what madden uses for their ranking. I did quite abit of research on pat elflein but they put him at 71 at the begin of season and stayed there the entire year. things like that are what bother me most I can research a guy and he comes out as a top player but madden doesn't move him. so it is difficult to make the right decisions on players. now next year he may be a higher number but it didn't help much this year
CFFL Tampa Bay
2022 10-7

EFFL DETROIT
2022 11-6
bigphil44

Post by bigphil44 »

This is because the person who does the madden ratings updates doesn't watch the games.
Ben C.

Post by Ben C. »

rpete10 wrote:
Goodell wrote:It's a frequent topic of discussion each off-season, but head's up on that. We cannot use premium information that isn't publicly available free for anyone. I can't post information here free that people have to pay for at the source otherwise.
i'm not am expert on the laws for this issue but I thought if you bought something it was your to do with as you wanted. you just couldn't charge for it. like buying a movie and watching it with friends. you paid for the item or service but are not making a profit or charging for it so you are free to use it. since you don't charge for this league that this falls into that area. again i'm not an expert or trying to argue it just trying to understand it better
Yeah, that's not how it works. I'm a lawyer, and though I don't practice intellectual property law, I do know that buying something like access to the ratings data means that "you can do with as you want." This is because: (1) when you use a service you agree to their terms and conditions. PFF expressly prohibits the publication of their data; (2) while it can be argued that this site is not profitable, there are ads on the site so it can be argued that it is a commercial endeavor which also prevents the republication of the data due to copyright laws.

When you buy a movie you are technically buying the copy for your own personal use. There is a huge difference between that and buying access to data.
AFFL Arizona - General Manager
Regular Season Record - 174-66-1
Playoff Record - 13-12
AFFL Bowl Record - 0-2

2x NFC Champions - 2010, 2016
11x NFC West Champions - 2007-12, 2014-15, 2017-18, 2021
AFFL History
whteshark

Post by whteshark »

Ben C. wrote:
rpete10 wrote:
Yeah, that's not how it works. I'm a lawyer, and though I don't practice intellectual property law, I do know that buying something like access to the ratings data means that "you can do with as you want." This is because: (1) when you use a service you agree to their terms and conditions. PFF expressly prohibits the publication of their data; (2) while it can be argued that this site is not profitable, there are ads on the site so it can be argued that it is a commercial endeavor which also prevents the republication of the data due to copyright laws.

When you buy a movie you are technically buying the copy for your own personal use. There is a huge difference between that and buying access to data.

Yeah, don't mess with Ben. :)

This is an old issue that has popped up every year since conception. Nobody likes the Madden grading system and everyone feels like they're getting screwed grade-wise on at least one player.

And yet we continue to use them because it's the fairest grading system we have: Madden is an equal opportunity hater and spreads the grading misery fairly among all teams.

"In other words this is a huge shit sandwich and we're all going to have to take a bite of it."

Not my quote but I would be impressed if you could name the movie.
Regular Season: 161-79-1
Playoff Appearances: 10 of 16
Division Titles: 9
Conference Titles: 5
Playoffs: 17-7
AFFL Bowls: 3-2

AFFL Bowl I Winner
AFFL Bowl IV Winner
AFFL Bowl VIII Winner