Off-Season Rules Discussion

tino38

Re: Off-Season Rules Discussion

Post by tino38 »

Goodell wrote:Perhaps a reasonable compromise that's very easy to implement might be slightly changing the 50% minimum to something else. We had a poll a couple of years ago with very little support for going to 75% or 100% where 50% was by far the most supported. It may be different now. But I was quickly able to change the 50% to 66% in the LTC generator for non-elite QB minimums, and it shows that figure now in the LTC quotes. It's not going all the way to 75% which is the bar we use for elite graded players, but is a little boost up from the 50% close to splitting the difference going to 2/3 value. Elite grade players, whether QBs or not, get 75%.

At the 66% bar, QB getting LTC would have to be at least based upon $15.305M. With SBs added for several more M per year, that doesn't sound unreasonably low as the lowest amount to sign any QB to LTC approaching 20M/yr.

People can look at the new figures with the minimum moved up a little while we're still frozen and no moves possible yet, and we'll see if much objection to that move if some think too much or too little. Hopefully getting close to right enough for most.
This looks good to me
BRFL Saints (31-20) (3-0)
- NFCS Champ: 23’
- NFC Champ: 23’
- SB Champ 23’
AFFL Patriots (97-82) (8-4)
-AFCE Champ: 16', 22’, 23’
-AFC Champ: 22’
-SB Champ: 22’
DFFL Jets - SB Champ 21’ & 22’
FFFL Jets - SB Champ 17’ & 18’
whteshark

Post by whteshark »

Commish,

Like Sooner I'm fine with the ways things are. I know at least one other GM that feels the same way but doesn't want to get into it on the forum.

I only see a couple of GM's with objections to the current system.

Maybe we should put a poll up and see if there's any support for it before we make changes.

Whte
Last edited by whteshark on Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regular Season: 161-79-1
Playoff Appearances: 10 of 16
Division Titles: 9
Conference Titles: 5
Playoffs: 17-7
AFFL Bowls: 3-2

AFFL Bowl I Winner
AFFL Bowl IV Winner
AFFL Bowl VIII Winner
jerrydlux

Post by jerrydlux »

For overall competitiveness, Jimmy Garoppolo should not be able to be signed for a 5 year contract for 16mil per year (current estimate in CFFL) where in real life he just got 27.5. And how puny would that 16 mil look in years 4 and 5 with the rising cap...

In some leagues this change wont really affect the calculations. Its really only impacting the minimums...and current discussion is only qbs.

Part of these leagues should be trying to mimic real GM issues and one of those is big money contracts to premier players.
tino38

Post by tino38 »

jerrydlux wrote:For overall competitiveness, Jimmy Garoppolo should not be able to be signed for a 5 year contract for 16mil per year (current estimate in CFFL) where in real life he just got 27.5. And how puny would that 16 mil look in years 4 and 5 with the rising cap...

In some leagues this change wont really affect the calculations. Its really only impacting the minimums...and current discussion is only qbs.

Part of these leagues should be trying to mimic real GM issues and one of those is big money contracts to premier players.
There are quite a few QBs across all the leagues in same situation. Derek Carr would be the same in a few of the leagues like Jimmy G in AFFL and CFFL
BRFL Saints (31-20) (3-0)
- NFCS Champ: 23’
- NFC Champ: 23’
- SB Champ 23’
AFFL Patriots (97-82) (8-4)
-AFCE Champ: 16', 22’, 23’
-AFC Champ: 22’
-SB Champ: 22’
DFFL Jets - SB Champ 21’ & 22’
FFFL Jets - SB Champ 17’ & 18’
RebelFan

Post by RebelFan »

whteshark wrote:Commish,

Like Sooner I'm fine with the ways things are. I know at least one another GM that feels the same way but doesn't want to get into it on the forum.

Maybe we should put a poll up and see if there's any support for it before we make changes.

Whte
I second this.
Some people are going to find something to complain about no matter what kind of changes are made or how much work you put into it.
GM - Chicago Bears - AFFL
GM - San Francisco 49ers - DFFL

"Talent Hoarder"
whteshark

Post by whteshark »

jerrydlux wrote:For overall competitiveness, Jimmy Garoppolo should not be able to be signed for a 5 year contract for 16mil per year (current estimate in CFFL) where in real life he just got 27.5. And how puny would that 16 mil look in years 4 and 5 with the rising cap...

Players sign big contracts all the time and regret it a few years later as the cap rises while they watch a comparable player sign for even bigger bucks.

Jimmy Garoppolo will probably be a great QB but hasn't done much but hold a clip board for the last few years, which is reflective of his grade. By the end of the 2018 season he might be worth every penny of that 27 million he's getting paid but he's yet to play a full season so the jury is still out.

And that's "if" the salary cap continues to rise. A few years ago during The Great Recession the salary cap actually contracted. And the NFL faces headwinds like it never has before between the concussions, CTE, and the politicization of the sport.

You talk about mimicking the NFL but players across all league get crazy contracts all the time. I think it evens out in the end.
Regular Season: 161-79-1
Playoff Appearances: 10 of 16
Division Titles: 9
Conference Titles: 5
Playoffs: 17-7
AFFL Bowls: 3-2

AFFL Bowl I Winner
AFFL Bowl IV Winner
AFFL Bowl VIII Winner
jerrydlux

Post by jerrydlux »

part of getting crazy contracts is because they are getting big deals on some qbs.

and replace Garoppolo with Matt Ryan...its the same issue.

maybe the issue isnt with the base number but with the guaranteed numbers? 24 million base with 1 million bonus isnt a real contract because that player can be cut for nothing and it wouldnt be accepted in real life, yet we see those. so maybe there needs to be more discussion there
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

jerrydlux wrote:any thoughts on a no trade clause for year one?

I know ive used it as a tactic to use my excess cap space to do it and trade that player for picks but I realize its not a realistic practice
While not common (trades of any kind aren't common in NFL reality over the years), there are examples in reality of a team signing a player to a contract in the off-season and then trading him later that off-season as plans changed. For example, signing a player at a position of need intending on them being the starter, but then discovering a star draft pick at the same position unexpectedly slipping to you in the draft and then trading away the previously set in place veteran to make room for the acclaimed rookie instead. Or that signed veteran disappointing in training camp, getting beat out for a starting job, and then the team making them available for trade (before cutting) that same off-season as signed.
Last edited by Goodell on Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
Ritz Blitz

Post by Ritz Blitz »

Like Sooner I'm fine with the ways things are. I know at least one another GM that feels the same way but doesn't want to get into it on the forum.

Whte
Third
Chad55

Post by Chad55 »

Ritz Blitz wrote:

Whte
Third
Fourth
AFFL-Cleveland Browns
-2013 AFC North Champs
-2014 AFC North Champs
-2016 AFC North Champs
-2018 AFC North Champs
-2020 AFC North Champs

FFFL Jacksonville
-2021 Super Bowl Champs
-2022 AFC Champs