Free Agency and Draft Dates

When would you prefer free agency and the draft start?

Free Agency Sat 4/28, Draft Sun-Wed 5/6-9
31%
Free Agency Sat 4/28, Draft Sat-Tues 5/5-8
6%
Free Agency Fri 4/27, Draft Sun-Wed 5/6-9
6%
Free Agency Fri 4/27, Draft Sat-Tues 5/5-8
12%
Free Agency Mon 4/30, Draft Mon-Thur 5/7-10
14%
Free Agency Sat 5/5, Draft Sat-Tues 6/2-5
10%
Free Agency Mon 5/7, Draft Mon-Thur 6/4-7
20%

Total votes: 49

bpboguta1483

Re: Free Agency and Draft Dates

Post by bpboguta1483 »

I wouldn't mind pushing it back a week if it means getting the teams that need owners filled and let them get acclimated to how things work, plus working out a strategy for what owner wants to do with each team they inherit.
ryanlester89

Post by ryanlester89 »

tjbarnaba wrote:
ryanlester89 wrote:Looks like we have two new prospective GM with no team on the waitlist with Fdean33 and Awaningking. So they would fill two of the spots.

"With free agency set to start Saturday, April 28, at 10 AM ET, we'll fill any remaining openings this week prior to that time.

We prefer to give openings to new GMs so that we can grow the league and find great new participants, but this might be one of the rare times we give GMs with only one team another.

Several included notes of interest in another team in your checkin or separate PM or message post. However, as we'd officially consider that, I'd need requests to be in this format...

If you're interested in another team, send me a PM to Goodell account and include:
Subject: Openings
Your top 3 teams of interest from the Openings listing (in the top menu).
Why you'd be a good choice for a new team (previous sim team performance, activity, etc.)

We'd first still be looking to new GMs first, but if spots still open mid-week we'd look to fill those spots otherwise. Thanks"

Yeah I understood that?
jmdaz44

Post by jmdaz44 »

Add me to the list that's wondering what all the rush is for. I get it, we are all starved for activity, but after FA and the draft, then what? We sit around for another 3 months until it's time for games to start? You all are like my dog when he gets fed - he scarves it down before the scoop is practically even out of his dish and then he immediately looks around for more.
CFFL Houston:
2013: 7-9
2014: 9-7
2015: 10-6 - Wildcard (0-1)
2016: 12-4 - AFC South Champ (0-1)
2017: 11-5 - AFC South Champ (1-1)
2018: 12-4 - AFC South Champ (1-1)
2019: 13-3 - Wildcard (4-0 - CFFL Champions)
AwningKing

Post by AwningKing »

Speaking for myself, I'm ready right now. If the vets need more time to look over rosters, that's on them. I have an idea of how build a roster around any of the teams currently open.
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Appreciate all the feedback. When we make a date announcement, as we did last week, it's important to keep that to avoid confusion and so people can plan on that. As mentioned, free agency starts Saturday, April 28 at 10 AM ET and runs all off-season and into the season. I didn't want the talk about delays not from the league confusing that. Free agency will start this Saturday. All open teams will be sorted shortly and trades will be available tonight.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, on the check-in forms we asked about scheduling conflicts to try to work around (knowing we can't please 100% of the people 100% of the time, but let us know and we'll try). From those submissions and some others since, there are numerous lengthy away times reported to the league in May. As such, from the requested feedback that we'd try to work around if possible, it left us with essentially two options. I presented those basic options for poll feedback with slight variations. We either try to get everyone together and knock both events out closer together before some of the reported scheduling conflicts later in May or we spread them out more with one one month and the other a month after. I know a lot of people have a lot of other ideas, but the league already decided those are the two paths based upon the requested availability feedback with reported lengthy conflicts.

The most popular choice it looks like is to do them sooner. However, as I mentioned also earlier in this thread, "I've already put the FA date out there so we're going with that, and we'll wait a bit before the draft date set. Based upon some feedback and new unavailability, leaning towards that being later."

Based upon that new feedback, new dates submitted to me for unavailability after the poll created, and discussion since, that later date that makes the most sense to me based upon reported conflicts and everything would be starting the weekend after Memorial Day holiday. We still have some time, so just putting this in pencil right now, but plan on draft being Sat-Tues 6/2-5 unless notified otherwise in the coming days.

Thanks!
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
sportznut

Post by sportznut »

Goodell wrote: We still have some time, so just putting this in pencil right now, but plan on draft being Sat-Tues 6/2-5 unless notified otherwise in the coming days.

Thanks!
Now, where did I put that eraser? Booooo!!!!

I really dislike that we have to skip the entire month of May for the draft, especially when the vast majority picked the first weekend in May.

Kids getting out of school, baseball draft(s) for a lot of us, vacations. Just didn't seem like a good time to do it in June, but hey, you're the commish, and I know you can't please everyone.
AFFL- Raiders
MLBSA- Tigers
WLSB- Marlins
Ben C.

Post by Ben C. »

Goodell wrote:Based upon that new feedback, new dates submitted to me for unavailability after the poll created, and discussion since, that later date that makes the most sense to me based upon reported conflicts and everything would be starting the weekend after Memorial Day holiday. We still have some time, so just putting this in pencil right now, but plan on draft being Sat-Tues 6/2-5 unless notified otherwise in the coming days.

Thanks!
I appreciate the later date!
AFFL Arizona - General Manager
Regular Season Record - 174-66-1
Playoff Record - 13-12
AFFL Bowl Record - 0-2

2x NFC Champions - 2010, 2016
11x NFC West Champions - 2007-12, 2014-15, 2017-18, 2021
AFFL History
Onyxgem

Post by Onyxgem »

sportznut wrote:
Goodell wrote: We still have some time, so just putting this in pencil right now, but plan on draft being Sat-Tues 6/2-5 unless notified otherwise in the coming days.

Thanks!
Now, where did I put that eraser? Booooo!!!!

I really dislike that we have to skip the entire month of May for the draft, especially when the vast majority picked the first weekend in May.

Kids getting out of school, baseball draft(s) for a lot of us, vacations. Just didn't seem like a good time to do it in June, but hey, you're the commish, and I know you can't please everyone.

I agree with this skipping entire month when vast majority picked first weekend in may makes little to no sense
Strategist

Post by Strategist »

I love drawing our the off-season. Never understood why some want to rush through everything to just sit around for months waiting on the season to start.
DFFL - DAL 09-20: 113-63 .642 (6-5) 3X DIV Champs. 6 Playoff apps. DFFL Bowl I Champs
CFFL - NYG 10-12: 34-13-1 .708
AFFL - WAS 13-19: 53-59 .473 (5-3) '14, '15, & '17 Div, '17 AFC Champs
FFFL - PIT 16-17: 45-19 .703 (3-3) '16-18 Div, 16' AFC Champs
JonC

Post by JonC »

Strategist wrote:I love drawing our the off-season. Never understood why some want to rush through everything to just sit around for months waiting on the season to start.
This.
DFFL Steelers GM: '13-'22
Regular Season Record: 77-85 (.475)
Division Championships: ’13, ’14, ’19
AFC WC Team: ’20

AFFL Bills GM: '20-?
Regular Season Record: 20-30 (.400)

BRFL Chargers GM: '21-?
Regular Season Record: 17-17 (.500)
AFC WC Team: '22