2019 RULES: Sign and Trade

Would you be in favor of restricting sign-and-trade deals in future seasons?

Yes - All free agency signings come with 1-year no-trade
41%
Yes - All free agency signings come with a 1-month no-trade
No votes
Yes - All free agency signings come with a 3-month no-trade
45%
Yes - All free agency signings come with a 6-month no-trade
No votes
Yes - But some other way than no-trade period after signing
5%
No - Keep the same
9%

Total votes: 66

Onyxgem

Re: 2019 RULES: Sign and Trade

Post by Onyxgem »

I can see both sides of this, as there are some teams that are so bad when new owners take over they use this to help get draft picks to get better in the long run, we take that away those new owners are kind of hand cuffed on what they can really do to make their teams better.
jerrydlux

Post by jerrydlux »

they would just have to use their salary cap to sign players that help their team. they would be able to trade anyone they wanted because they wouldn't have signed anyone yet (or seen someone use that tactic either) and all of their contracts would be past the one year point.
Onyxgem

Post by Onyxgem »

jerrydlux wrote:they would just have to use their salary cap to sign players that help their team. they would be able to trade anyone they wanted because they wouldn't have signed anyone yet (or seen someone use that tactic either) and all of their contracts would be past the one year point.
Problem is we both know in any league there is so much money that they can get maybe 1 top player and then maybe 1-2 decent players that isnt going to help their team at all
jerrydlux

Post by jerrydlux »

I agree with that. But the plan should be signing players to build your team so if you are in a rebuild, signing to a two or three year deal wouldnt make sense.

So if I can get one top player in FA and a few good players I then need to rely on the draft for the rest.
Onyxgem

Post by Onyxgem »

jerrydlux wrote:I agree with that. But the plan should be signing players to build your team so if you are in a rebuild, signing to a two or three year deal wouldnt make sense.

So if I can get one top player in FA and a few good players I then need to rely on the draft for the rest.
Some of these teams are so bad that the only way to rebuild is sign plays to huge SB and trade them for picks becuase other way it would take 5-6 years of signing guys and by then first guys you signed are gone anyway
jerrydlux

Post by jerrydlux »

I don't fully agree with that.

With the proposed.change they sign the big deal and trade it the following year. It doesn't cripple them as much because the SB hit is smaller. And it also allows their draft picks a year to show
Onyxgem

Post by Onyxgem »

jerrydlux wrote:I don't fully agree with that.

With the proposed.change they sign the big deal and trade it the following year. It doesn't cripple them as much because the SB hit is smaller. And it also allows their draft picks a year to show
Like i said i see it both ways but it will hurt teams who come into garbage situations on rebuilding faster
Jared A

Post by Jared A »

bpboguta1483 wrote:I'm for the 1 year no trade. Plus, if a team signs a player to a 30 mil SB, the team that trades for him already has to eat the salary, why have to eat part of the SB as well, especially if it's something I wouldn't do personally, and why acquire a player, trade him 15 minutes later and eat dead money? NFL owners wouldn't think of doing that.

The point is, we allow contracts that are 1mil per year with 60mil SB's... If you're a team that isn't going to compete, but has 80mil in free cap space, you might as well sign a contract like that, and then trade the player to whomever gives you the most picks. They get a player on a fantastic contract, you waste some cap space that you weren't going to use anyways.

The point that this would slow down a new GM's ability to turn over a team is a legitimate one. I'm not sure most brand new GM's are familiar with the rules enough to exploit this one, but I certainly don't think we should hinder a quick competitive balance.
jerrydlux

Post by jerrydlux »

I agree it would slow down a teams rebuild, but that's why it is fanGM. Not just fantasy. It could also limit teams from sticking around at the top as long because they would have to resign their guys/continue to draft well.
tino38

Post by tino38 »

jerrydlux wrote:I agree it would slow down a teams rebuild, but that's why it is fanGM. Not just fantasy. It could also limit teams from sticking around at the top as long because they would have to resign their guys/continue to draft well.
I don’t think this would have anything to do with guys sticking around the top. The guys who are continuously successful constantly work for trades, and are not afraid to trade away or trade for a player when the value is right. Most of the guys that stick around the top barely have cap space to play in FA annually outside of some depth signings and maybe 1 or 2 guys that are in the A/B range if they have the cap space to even play in FA.
BRFL Saints (31-20) (3-0)
- NFCS Champ: 23’
- NFC Champ: 23’
- SB Champ 23’
AFFL Patriots (97-82) (8-4)
-AFCE Champ: 16', 22’, 23’
-AFC Champ: 22’
-SB Champ: 22’
DFFL Jets - SB Champ 21’ & 22’
FFFL Jets - SB Champ 17’ & 18’