2019 RULES: Sign and Trade

Would you be in favor of restricting sign-and-trade deals in future seasons?

Yes - All free agency signings come with 1-year no-trade
41%
Yes - All free agency signings come with a 1-month no-trade
No votes
Yes - All free agency signings come with a 3-month no-trade
45%
Yes - All free agency signings come with a 6-month no-trade
No votes
Yes - But some other way than no-trade period after signing
5%
No - Keep the same
9%

Total votes: 66

Adam K

Re: 2019 RULES: Sign and Trade

Post by Adam K »

I have changed my vote from keep the same to 3-month no trade period after signing.

I never had enough cap room to sign players with giant signing bonuses, then trade them. However, I never had a problem with those who did. And I don’t agree with this “not realistic” arguement. This isn’t reality, but it is a league with active GMs who all want to build a good team and all have different styles and approaches. It is just like any other sport or league - reality or fantasy.

Think baseball and arbitration or in the NBA where JJ Redick signs a 1-year lottery ticket. Weird shit happens and signings are made by way of a GM and how much they have to spend and how they are allowed to spend it.

In the real NFL, did the Browns eats a shitty contract for a 2nd round pick? Further, if you were an average player and were told that you would get $10 million guaranteed with $1 million base and we may trade you before the draft, would you care or would take the guaranteed $$$? Maybe the real NFL GMs should work like some of us?

I initially voted to keep the same because it is more realistic to have the same rules, but changing to support the group at large here - and comprismisng for 3 months vs a full year of no trading.
larry linke

Post by larry linke »

I always have and will always vote for what is more realistic. The further we get away from realism the more the league will become a gimmick league. One of the baseball leagues I am in is trending towards becoming a gimmick league and that is a shame.

Larry
Minnesota AFFL
Adam K

Post by Adam K »

larry linke wrote:I always have and will always vote for what is more realistic. The further we get away from realism the more the league will become a gimmick league. One of the baseball leagues I am in is trending towards becoming a gimmick league and that is a shame.

Larry
Minnesota AFFL
So what did you vote for - keep the same, i.e. the “real” rules of the NFL. Or with the majority here to try to limit creativity and hope that it resembles less trading like the “real” NFL. I am not sure what “more realistic” means here.
Zapotek

Post by Zapotek »

Adam K wrote:So what did you vote for - keep the same, i.e. the “real” rules of the NFL. Or with the majority here to try to limit creativity and hope that it resembles less trading like the “real” NFL. I am not sure what “more realistic” means here.
I don't think the people who want change want it for the sake of 'less trading'. It's about players being signed to contracts with massive signing bonuses and then flipped for picks. If you want to call that 'creative', fine, but it's also unrealistic. Again, if anyone can show a couple of real-life examples of the behaviour...
Manager of AFFL NYJ and FFFL CLE since before the 2016 draft.

CFFL IND: Took control after 2011 draft, relinquished after winning 2013 and 2015 season SB.