2019 RULES: Sign and Trade

Would you be in favor of restricting sign-and-trade deals in future seasons?

Yes - All free agency signings come with 1-year no-trade
41%
Yes - All free agency signings come with a 1-month no-trade
No votes
Yes - All free agency signings come with a 3-month no-trade
45%
Yes - All free agency signings come with a 6-month no-trade
No votes
Yes - But some other way than no-trade period after signing
5%
No - Keep the same
9%

Total votes: 66

rabbitrun

Re: 2019 RULES: Sign and Trade

Post by rabbitrun »

So I feel like I’m the jerk that started all of this discussion (Phillip Rivers contract in the AFFL) but I do have to say, you give me a set of rules to play within and I will play within those rules, trying to find any advantage I can legally to benefit my team. I know a lot of you will disagree with that but NFL head coaches are constantly trying to exploit loopholes in the rules to give themselves an advantage on the field, and I think as GMs on here we should as well.

Change the rule, won’t matter to me, I will adjust my gameplay accordingly and go on with my day, just as most of you will as well. I also think most of you will be out there looking for the next loophole to explore and possibly exploit. Just my two cents.
NO GM-AFFL
TB GM-DFFL
2017 CFFL Super Bowl Champion-Bears
Strategist

Post by Strategist »

rabbitrun wrote:So I feel like I’m the jerk that started all of this discussion (Phillip Rivers contract in the AFFL) but I do have to say, you give me a set of rules to play within and I will play within those rules, trying to find any advantage I can legally to benefit my team. I know a lot of you will disagree with that but NFL head coaches are constantly trying to exploit loopholes in the rules to give themselves an advantage on the field, and I think as GMs on here we should as well.

Change the rule, won’t matter to me, I will adjust my gameplay accordingly and go on with my day, just as most of you will as well. I also think most of you will be out there looking for the next loophole to explore and possibly exploit. Just my two cents.
I don’t disagree I just think this loop hole is too far from real life which I hear as the reason we do so many things on here.
DFFL - DAL 09-20: 113-63 .642 (6-5) 3X DIV Champs. 6 Playoff apps. DFFL Bowl I Champs
CFFL - NYG 10-12: 34-13-1 .708
AFFL - WAS 13-19: 53-59 .473 (5-3) '14, '15, & '17 Div, '17 AFC Champs
FFFL - PIT 16-17: 45-19 .703 (3-3) '16-18 Div, 16' AFC Champs
Ben C.

Post by Ben C. »

It’s about trying to close loopholes when we find them. We’ve done this before with other issues we’ve come across. When we find a loophole that leads to unrealistic results (extreme example of $60 million signing bonus and $450k salary for a 1 year deal) then we should adjust the rule to get a more realistic result.

As I’ve mentioned, I voted yes but don’t actually support a blanket no trade clause on all deals. I’d like to see it kick in above a minimum signing bonus.

I also support the idea of making the maximum signing bonus some multiple of the annual salary, though I’m not sure what the multiple should be.
AFFL Arizona - General Manager
Regular Season Record - 174-66-1
Playoff Record - 13-12
AFFL Bowl Record - 0-2

2x NFC Champions - 2010, 2016
11x NFC West Champions - 2007-12, 2014-15, 2017-18, 2021
AFFL History
Jared A

Post by Jared A »

Don't feel bad about it... I did this with Eli Manning several years ago. I've use cap space every single time a rebuild. I have never tried to rebuild through the draft. Just trade for a ton of picks, and then use those picks to trade for talent the following year.
Onyxgem

Post by Onyxgem »

stevebarrett24 wrote:I get the problem but don't like getting rid of trades all together for 1 year contracts. There are to many things that change after free agency to a roster. You can have injuries, other people on your team step up and become players, people you didn't expect falling to you during the draft and players you didn't expect to become available on the trade block become available. If I sign a guy to a 1 year contract lets just say for a million a year and also a million signing bonus. If I have an abundance of talent at that position and am either weak or have an injury at another position I should be able to trade him to get better at a different position of need. I understand what we are trying to get rid of but I would prefer if programmable to have a no trade clause over a certain dollar amount maybe 10 million dollars. I real GM would get fired by the owner if he gave a huge signing bonus in real life and then traded him that same day. It just seems like it would ruin some fun of FANGM just to take away something that only affects maybe 1-4 players a year in each league.
Agree 100%
Nathan S.

Post by Nathan S. »

Onyxgem wrote:
stevebarrett24 wrote:I get the problem but don't like getting rid of trades all together for 1 year contracts. There are to many things that change after free agency to a roster. You can have injuries, other people on your team step up and become players, people you didn't expect falling to you during the draft and players you didn't expect to become available on the trade block become available. If I sign a guy to a 1 year contract lets just say for a million a year and also a million signing bonus. If I have an abundance of talent at that position and am either weak or have an injury at another position I should be able to trade him to get better at a different position of need. I understand what we are trying to get rid of but I would prefer if programmable to have a no trade clause over a certain dollar amount maybe 10 million dollars. I real GM would get fired by the owner if he gave a huge signing bonus in real life and then traded him that same day. It just seems like it would ruin some fun of FANGM just to take away something that only affects maybe 1-4 players a year in each league.
Agree 100%
^^^ just likes trades so he can have half the first round every year :lol:
GM Tampa Bay Buccaneers - AFFL
Strategist

Post by Strategist »

Nathan S. wrote:
Onyxgem wrote:
Agree 100%
^^^ just likes trades so he can have half the first round every year :lol:
I Lolled
DFFL - DAL 09-20: 113-63 .642 (6-5) 3X DIV Champs. 6 Playoff apps. DFFL Bowl I Champs
CFFL - NYG 10-12: 34-13-1 .708
AFFL - WAS 13-19: 53-59 .473 (5-3) '14, '15, & '17 Div, '17 AFC Champs
FFFL - PIT 16-17: 45-19 .703 (3-3) '16-18 Div, 16' AFC Champs
Chad55

Post by Chad55 »

It seems that when team's sign Free Agent's and then trade them away, they are doing it to gain draft pick's and build there team that way. I don't want to have a full no trade for 1 year, because circumstances could come up where I may need to trade a player I signed in FA close to the trade deadline to cover for an injury or something. Maybe we look to limit draft pick's per round. I know it's not something that would probably pass a vote, but it seems these signings and trades happen for draft pick's. Maybe it's an option without putting a no trade clause.
AFFL-Cleveland Browns
-2013 AFC North Champs
-2014 AFC North Champs
-2016 AFC North Champs
-2018 AFC North Champs
-2020 AFC North Champs

FFFL Jacksonville
-2021 Super Bowl Champs
-2022 AFC Champs
*Retired after 2022 season*
Aftermath2531

Post by Aftermath2531 »

I really hope we are not making drastic changes based off this poll. Making a change that will tie owners hands, defeats the purpose of the league. I can see some interesting salary cap issues created with this rule if its 1 year across the board. Its called Fan GM, so let people manage there teams how they choose. I definitely don't always agree with the ridiculousness that I see from some owners but its not my team. If we must institute a 1 year no trade clause it should only be for high profile players(85 or above) and high bonus players(15mil and higher) Its the most logical and realistic. If not I challenge some one to find a example of top 5 player or player getting that much bonus money being traded after signing. This is a topic that needs to be discussed through out the season before we attempt to completely change what the league is all about. Which is living our dreams of General Managing a NFL franchise.
Car(DFFL)6-6
'14 5-11
'15 13-3 Div/NFC
'16 13-3 Div
'17 12-4
'18 12-4
'19 9-7
'20 11-5
'21 14-3 Div
Ten(FFFL)8-5
'16 14-2
'17 13-3 Div
'18 12-4 Div
'19 12-4
'20 15-1 Div/SB
'21 14-3 Div
Ten(AFFL)5-1
'19 6-10
'20 11-5 SB
'21 12-5
Cle(CFFL)1-1
'21 11-6
Zapotek

Post by Zapotek »

I think a lot of people are voting for 1-year NTC as a placeholder but would prefer:

1. 1-year NTC if signing bonus over 10/15/etc million; or
2. 1-year NTC if SB is more than 50/60/etc % of total deal.

Edit: in case it's not clear, numbers above are purely for example.
Manager of AFFL NYJ and FFFL CLE since before the 2016 draft.

CFFL IND: Took control after 2011 draft, relinquished after winning 2013 and 2015 season SB.