2019 RULES: Sign and Trade

Would you be in favor of restricting sign-and-trade deals in future seasons?

Yes - All free agency signings come with 1-year no-trade
41%
Yes - All free agency signings come with a 1-month no-trade
No votes
Yes - All free agency signings come with a 3-month no-trade
45%
Yes - All free agency signings come with a 6-month no-trade
No votes
Yes - But some other way than no-trade period after signing
5%
No - Keep the same
9%

Total votes: 66

Jared A

Re: 2019 RULES: Sign and Trade

Post by Jared A »

I am certainly against a blanket NTC for all newly signed players.

95% of the contracts that we sign have no problems at all. Making a rule to prevent enormous SB's from being eaten all at one time is the idea.
Royce R

Post by Royce R »

Zapotek wrote:I think a lot of people are voting for 1-year NTC as a placeholder but would prefer:

1. 1-year NTC if signing bonus over 10/15/etc million; or
2. 1-year NTC if SB is more than 50/60/etc % of total deal.

Edit: in case it's not clear, numbers above are purely for example.
Exactly, I haven't voted since I feel we need to regroup and retool the voting.
AFFL - Titans GM since 2007
96 - 62 - 2 regular season
6 playoff appearances
4 division titles
2 conference titles
1 AFFL title
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Just to further comment while taking in the comments, we won't institute any new rule for next year now. But this thread will be one to look back on next off-season and we'll probably do a poll with more specifics (and perhaps more options) at that time before next off-season. But want to definitely get feedback on this general area while we're in the middle of it and everything's fresh in our minds instead of trying to remember how free agency went months from now.

Some waiting period after a signing before trading someone made a lot of sense to me in terms of realism -- and might also be some real NFL rules related to that to research that the players association might have put in for player protection against the kind of sign and immediately trade that happens here. I was a 3-month waiting fan myself and wanted to see support in that area, but lots of good ideas came up also to consider ahead.

This early warning also serves as a head's up for next off-season strategies that it's possible we'll be making some kind of change discussed in this thread ahead in one form or another.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
jerrydlux

Post by jerrydlux »

I think we should try to make a decision on it this year (not necessarily within the next few weeks) but just to have closure on it so we can all plan accordingly going forward.

I could see something before this seasons trade deadline so people can make their last moves under this model
bpboguta1483

Post by bpboguta1483 »

I like the LTC model of 100% salary and 200% SB or you could go 300% max but who signs a player for a small salary with an insane SB to an elite player then tries to move shortly thereafter? Makes no sense realistically.
rabbitrun

Post by rabbitrun »

How is signing someone to a huge signing bonus in free agency and trading them that same day any different from a team that places a 5 year LTC on a player and then trades them that same day?
NO GM-AFFL
TB GM-DFFL
2017 CFFL Super Bowl Champion-Bears
jerrydlux

Post by jerrydlux »

If youre referring to bpboguta I think he is saying in terms of modeling contracts and how there should be a salary to signing bonus ratio. I dont think he meant LTC would be different from regular free agency.
rabbitrun

Post by rabbitrun »

jerrydlux wrote:If youre referring to bpboguta I think he is saying in terms of modeling contracts and how there should be a salary to signing bonus ratio. I dont think he meant LTC would be different from regular free agency.
I’m rgonna referring to a player in a league that was given a 5 year LTC and then traded the same day, within minutes of each other
NO GM-AFFL
TB GM-DFFL
2017 CFFL Super Bowl Champion-Bears
jerrydlux

Post by jerrydlux »

Haven't had a change in the rules yet. Someone in effl is offering trading a player to them, they LTC then trade back, for draft picks.
soonertf

Post by soonertf »

Because it's a different salary to signing bonus ratio. If we can get a similar ratio for free agency then i dont think anyone would have an issue. I think 200% max would be much more realistic.
AFFL - Dallas Cowboy's GM
Regular Season Record - 109-72
Playoff Record - 12-4
AFFL Bowl Record - 3-0

3x AFFL Champions - 2009, 2011, 2018
3x NFC Champions - 2009, 2011, 2018
6x NFC East Champions - 2007, 2009-13