2019 rules suggestion

Jared A

2019 rules suggestion

Post by Jared A »

I can't imagine this being too terribly much work. However, I think we should give teams the option to "pay SB". I think teams with the cap space should be able to pay off all the SB without trading the player first.

Technically, you can trade a player to a gm, and then him trade the player right back... and that would accomplish the same thing. Real NFL teams are constantly manipulating the salary cap, and we really don't have a ton of ways to do that. This would be a pretty easy one to incorporate.

Maybe I'm alone in this.
soonertf

Re: 2019 rules suggestion

Post by soonertf »

I would be good with this as well and definitely makes sense. I'm not sure how teams do this IRL. I know they pay it up front, but not sure if they have option to count it all in one season. I like the idea though.
AFFL - Dallas Cowboy's GM
Regular Season Record - 109-72
Playoff Record - 12-4
AFFL Bowl Record - 3-0

3x AFFL Champions - 2009, 2011, 2018
3x NFC Champions - 2009, 2011, 2018
6x NFC East Champions - 2007, 2009-13
jerrydlux

Post by jerrydlux »

Don't teams convert salary to signing bonus...to pay it up front and offer cap relief? Wouldn't that be similar to our restructure or are you thinking something different?
jerrydlux

Post by jerrydlux »

The main issue i see with it is that it would show an unrealistic cap fiigure. Even though portions of a signing are paid out I think the cap number still shows it.

Example.with Matt Ryan's contract, $100 mil guaranteed average of $30 mil per year. I don't think if they pay him $50 mil right now it makes his cap number change from an average of $30 to $20....

The way around it is exactly what you said, trading then trading right back, but that's why those low base number and high sb contracts aren't great

I could be wrong though.
Jared A

Post by Jared A »

I view it more as a way to front load contracts... much like Charles Clay and Josh Norman's contract were the past couple years.
Jared A

Post by Jared A »

jerrydlux wrote:Don't teams convert salary to signing bonus...to pay it up front and offer cap relief? Wouldn't that be similar to our restructure or are you thinking something different?
Our restructure would work backwards to what I'm suggesting. Restructures back load deals. I'm suggesting the ability to pay off a SB at any point in time that you wish. Or... have an option to front load deals.
jerrydlux

Post by jerrydlux »

Gotcha

I think flexibility in contracts would be nice, how a player counts 16 mil this year, 12 next then 19 the following. But I could see it being a little more difficult to manage like that.

Front loading could be an option, but I don't know how that would factor into the free agency calculations and what is determined a "higher bid"
Jared A

Post by Jared A »

We could do it exactly the same way we "restructure". Just backwards. Don't even have it as an option for bids. Only after signed.
jerrydlux

Post by jerrydlux »

I dont know how that would work. Like I said earlier, I dont think teams get actual cap relief by paying out a SB early.
jerrydlux

Post by jerrydlux »

looking into it more I think a signing bonus is paid out to the player immediately but it is split over the length of the contract. So Matt Ryan just got a $100 million dollar check but that it still spread across the contract.

I think maybe youre thinking renegotiating? As that would lower the cap hit. This would be a cool addition but possibly hard to implement