2018 Season Update

vikingfan

Re: 2018 Season Update

Post by vikingfan »

I don't want it to be a total race to FA market. But we are talking well into the offseason or even into the season. Its not a race. Teams are set. If a guy has been on the street for 6 weeks, you bet your ass he will be glad to take the first call. Most likely the only one. I will read the rest later . thanks

Goodell wrote:
vikingfan wrote:I have regularly advocated for getting rid of the 24 hour waiting period after we have completed Free Agency and our draft. Having to wait 24 hours to bring up PS player or sign FA is far from realistic. Get rid of it. Figure out a deadline. I suggest its 7 days after the draft. If you find a gem you shouldn't have to wait and hope someone doesn't over bid you. At some point first come first serve should come into play. thanks
Lots of baseball sim leagues have that. It's something to think on, but I think depends upon your perspective. From a sim player and their agent's perspective, I don't know if first call gets minimum deal automatically would be realistic for them getting low deal instantly compared to seeing if somebody is on the other line or anybody else calls later in the day too with more money before they quickly put ink to paper.

The other aspect of it is game/life balance too. If everything was just big advantage to the first people here, then perhaps someone like me in college and not married yet without kids who was on here all day long would just clean up big time being first to snag everyone. But making it not instant pickup arguably helps the long-term players who have more going on as life goes along often and can't jump on the site instantly always, but there's a 24 hour window for everybody to react to news or game action, etc.

The other part of that is just the game being organized around market-driven activity. Everyone has the same amount to spend, and it's a game of who spends it best across their roster across the years.

But knowing how that works in some baseball sim leagues I'm in, it's something to think about. Just very different from our 24/7 always on marketplace-driven setup. I think another big difference between our world and most of the baseball sims (at least that I play) is that they are largely based upon stat projections before the season that can't change, while our player performances are impacted by real action in every game. So any 1-year minimum first-come-first-serve pickup in those baseball leagues has very limited impact by design compared to here where a breakout player can change a season in real time.
Strategist

Post by Strategist »

I would say the big difference in baseball sims is it is a 1 yr min contract deal and you don’t get restricted FA rights. I don’t like changing our 24 hour system at all.
DFFL - DAL 09-20: 113-63 .642 (6-5) 3X DIV Champs. 6 Playoff apps. DFFL Bowl I Champs
CFFL - NYG 10-12: 34-13-1 .708
AFFL - WAS 13-19: 53-59 .473 (5-3) '14, '15, & '17 Div, '17 AFC Champs
FFFL - PIT 16-17: 45-19 .703 (3-3) '16-18 Div, 16' AFC Champs
Ben C.

Post by Ben C. »

Do we have a deadline yet for Tags and whatnot before FA starts?
AFFL Arizona - General Manager
Regular Season Record - 174-66-1
Playoff Record - 13-12
AFFL Bowl Record - 0-2

2x NFC Champions - 2010, 2016
11x NFC West Champions - 2007-12, 2014-15, 2017-18, 2021
AFFL History
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Ben C. wrote:Do we have a deadline yet for Tags and whatnot before FA starts?
No deadline quite yet as I'm sorting out new people into openings still. But I expect to turn some of those options on tonight. Tag options are showing on the bottom of the roster pages now, just need to double-check a few things and turn the submit buttons on.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
Ben C.

Post by Ben C. »

Sounds good, and no rush! I'm way behind on my off-season preparations. :lol:
AFFL Arizona - General Manager
Regular Season Record - 174-66-1
Playoff Record - 13-12
AFFL Bowl Record - 0-2

2x NFC Champions - 2010, 2016
11x NFC West Champions - 2007-12, 2014-15, 2017-18, 2021
AFFL History