2018 Season Update

Goodell

Re: 2018 Season Update

Post by Goodell »

The playoffs are now complete in all leagues. Thanks for another great season!

If you have thoughts on off-season rules discussion topics, send me a PM or reply. We'll get those going in the next week or so.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Sorry for the delay in getting some off-season discussions going. Just needed a break from a long season and work's been crazy.

If you have an off-season topic you'd like to throw out there for off-season rules discussions, please reply here or send me a PM.

Now that the NFL's off-season is starting to get into full-swing with their free agency this week, we'll hope to begin transitioning rosters to a new league year, fill any openings, have some rules discussions, and then setup our team check-ins.

The NFL draft is toward the end of April. I'd like to shoot for our free agency starting toward early April.
Aftermath2531

Post by Aftermath2531 »

I have a proposal that was kind of touched on during last years off season. I would really love to see some sort of reward system put in place for winning organizations. Obliviously this league is fantasy so there's no revenue, GM hot seats, or a trophy raised at the end of the year. Our Fan GM free agents cant cypher between a winning and losing franchise when deciding where to sign.

My proposal is to award extra bids in free agency for mile stones reached like Division Champion, Conference Champion, and Super Bowl Champion. There has been discussion in previous years about adding bids across the board, so instead why not reward the hard working GM's who year after year field a competitive team. Thoughts?
Car(DFFL)6-6
'14 5-11
'15 13-3 Div/NFC
'16 13-3 Div
'17 12-4
'18 12-4
'19 9-7
'20 11-5
'21 14-3 Div
Ten(FFFL)8-5
'16 14-2
'17 13-3 Div
'18 12-4 Div
'19 12-4
'20 15-1 Div/SB
'21 14-3 Div
Ten(AFFL)5-1
'19 6-10
'20 11-5 SB
'21 12-5
Cle(CFFL)1-1
'21 11-6
robroach

Post by robroach »

I would be in favor of this. We have to combat the constant tanking that goes on throughout the league. Rebuilding and tanking are not the same thing.
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Aftermath2531 wrote:I have a proposal that was kind of touched on during last years off season. I would really love to see some sort of reward system put in place for winning organizations. Obliviously this league is fantasy so there's no revenue, GM hot seats, or a trophy raised at the end of the year. Our Fan GM free agents cant cypher between a winning and losing franchise when deciding where to sign.

My proposal is to award extra bids in free agency for mile stones reached like Division Champion, Conference Champion, and Super Bowl Champion. There has been discussion in previous years about adding bids across the board, so instead why not reward the hard working GM's who year after year field a competitive team. Thoughts?
I kind of like the idea of extra bids for successful teams (as incentive plus players probably rightfully more interested in winning teams too) but it was part of a poll last year I believe. We could again, but didn't get too many votes last time (only 2 out of 58).

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1541

For the last couple of seasons, though, I have wanted to work on some other kind of GM reward system. Something of a GM of the Year score that rewarded things other than sim wins/losses. It would track player grade improvement over the year, draft grades, days without salary cap or roster penalties, etc. Something I hope to implement someday, just when the time to do so.
robroach

Post by robroach »

I claimed a player very late in the year. I was charged his full salary to my salary cap, not just one or two game checks. I’m fairly certain this is not the case in the real NFL. Also, in Fan GM, if you sign a guy late in the year, you are only charged for the games he is on your roster. What is the reasoning behind this?
vikingfan

Post by vikingfan »

I have regularly advocated for getting rid of the 24 hour waiting period after we have completed Free Agency and our draft. Having to wait 24 hours to bring up PS player or sign FA is far from realistic. Get rid of it. Figure out a deadline. I suggest its 7 days after the draft. If you find a gem you shouldn't have to wait and hope someone doesn't over bid you. At some point first come first serve should come into play. thanks
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

vikingfan wrote:I have regularly advocated for getting rid of the 24 hour waiting period after we have completed Free Agency and our draft. Having to wait 24 hours to bring up PS player or sign FA is far from realistic. Get rid of it. Figure out a deadline. I suggest its 7 days after the draft. If you find a gem you shouldn't have to wait and hope someone doesn't over bid you. At some point first come first serve should come into play. thanks
Lots of baseball sim leagues have that. It's something to think on, but I think depends upon your perspective. From a sim player and their agent's perspective, I don't know if first call gets minimum deal automatically would be realistic for them getting low deal instantly compared to seeing if somebody is on the other line or anybody else calls later in the day too with more money before they quickly put ink to paper.

The other aspect of it is game/life balance too. If everything was just big advantage to the first people here, then perhaps someone like me in college and not married yet without kids who was on here all day long would just clean up big time being first to snag everyone. But making it not instant pickup arguably helps the long-term players who have more going on as life goes along often and can't jump on the site instantly always, but there's a 24 hour window for everybody to react to news or game action, etc.

The other part of that is just the game being organized around market-driven activity. Everyone has the same amount to spend, and it's a game of who spends it best across their roster across the years.

But knowing how that works in some baseball sim leagues I'm in, it's something to think about. Just very different from our 24/7 always on marketplace-driven setup. I think another big difference between our world and most of the baseball sims (at least that I play) is that they are largely based upon stat projections before the season that can't change, while our player performances are impacted by real action in every game. So any 1-year minimum first-come-first-serve pickup in those baseball leagues has very limited impact by design compared to here where a breakout player can change a season in real time.
JonC

Post by JonC »

The difference between most baseball leagues and here is that our ratings are dynamic. If a player gets promoted to the active roster here or signed off the street, it heavily influences their value immediately. In baseball leagues (mostly) the values don't change from the beginning of the year to the end. I would advocate that the 24 hr period is good since we remove the "signing soon" and the red line of doom that people used to just scroll through to search.
DFFL Steelers GM: '13-'22
Regular Season Record: 77-85 (.475)
Division Championships: ’13, ’14, ’19
AFC WC Team: ’20

AFFL Bills GM: '20-?
Regular Season Record: 20-30 (.400)

BRFL Chargers GM: '21-?
Regular Season Record: 17-17 (.500)
AFC WC Team: '22
vikingfan

Post by vikingfan »

I disagree with this. It happens all the time. A team restructures and puts more money in the players hand in guaranteed money and lowers the base. SIM players need to get real just like RL NFL players :)

LTC cannot lower the salary owed to a player. Sim players will not agree to taking a pay cut and not seeing their value on the market. All LTCs must be beneficial to the player (increase in pay) or player prefers to hit free agency market. Next year salary check: 15163200