2020 RULES: Draft Picks

Should we restrict extreme draft pick situations in the future?

No
53%
Yes
47%

Total votes: 55

Goodell

2020 RULES: Draft Picks

Post by Goodell »

Over the years we've had some extreme draft pick situations, such as teams having more than a handful of first round picks or teams trading away all draft picks for the next two years, etc.

There have been some somewhat extreme draft trades in the NFL, like Oakland having 3 first round picks in reality and the Saints trading their whole draft for a player back in the day.

There are some restrictions in place like only the next 2 drafts available for trade so a team can't trade a way a decade of picks and leave. The salary cap in theory should also serve as some kind of both incentive to draft well for cheap roster depth but also a cap on how much you can spend with too many first rounders being expensive.

Some have expressed frustration to me, so just seeing if there is more sentiment now (or not) for restrictions on extreme draft situations. That might look like can't have more than X first rounders, or max/min on draft picks, etc.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
rabbitrun

Re: 2020 RULES: Draft Picks

Post by rabbitrun »

What’s next? NFL teams would never really trade elite QBs in their primes, but on here it happens. Are we also going to start telling GMs what trades are allowed? Because that isn’t exactly realistic either but it’s part of what makes FanGM as fun as it is!

We’re all playing by the same rules here with the trades and draft picks. Everyone has the same opportunities to blow up their teams for picks. Some GMs take pride in records and maintaining stability over a long period of time, other GMs like to build and tear down in short bursts. Both are viable options to try and win a championship. I don’t see this as an issue.
NO GM-AFFL
TB GM-DFFL
2017 CFFL Super Bowl Champion-Bears
JonC

Post by JonC »

rabbitrun wrote:What’s next? NFL teams would never really trade elite QBs in their primes, but on here it happens. Are we also going to start telling GMs what trades are allowed? Because that isn’t exactly realistic either but it’s part of what makes FanGM as fun as it is!

We’re all playing by the same rules here with the trades and draft picks. Everyone has the same opportunities to blow up their teams for picks. Some GMs take pride in records and maintaining stability over a long period of time, other GMs like to build and tear down in short bursts. Both are viable options to try and win a championship. I don’t see this as an issue.
Count me mostly in this boat. I appreciate that we can only move picks for the upcoming and following draft. I think that helps a bunch.

Part of the issue here is the price some GMs are willing to pay for really good but not elite talent. I'd almost prefer a trade committee approach to this, though I'm not really of the view that we NEED that, either. We just need GMs to not be ridiculous and trade two firsts and a third for Tim Tebow. LOL
DFFL Steelers GM: '13-'22
Regular Season Record: 77-85 (.475)
Division Championships: ’13, ’14, ’19
AFC WC Team: ’20

AFFL Bills GM: '20-?
Regular Season Record: 20-30 (.400)

BRFL Chargers GM: '21-?
Regular Season Record: 17-17 (.500)
AFC WC Team: '22
tino38

Post by tino38 »

Curious what the number would be? Would there be a cap on total draft picks or just round 1 picks? In the NFL, multiple teams have had multiple 1sts since 2000, a handful of teams have had 3 1sts in a draft since 2000, and in 2000 the Jets has 4 1sts and used them all. How do you cap it?
BRFL Saints (31-20) (3-0)
- NFCS Champ: 23’
- NFC Champ: 23’
- SB Champ 23’
AFFL Patriots (97-82) (8-4)
-AFCE Champ: 16', 22’, 23’
-AFC Champ: 22’
-SB Champ: 22’
DFFL Jets - SB Champ 21’ & 22’
FFFL Jets - SB Champ 17’ & 18’
rabbitrun

Post by rabbitrun »

tino38 wrote:Curious what the number would be? Would there be a cap on total draft picks or just round 1 picks? In the NFL, multiple teams have had multiple 1sts since 2000, a handful of teams have had 3 1sts in a draft since 2000, and in 2000 the Jets has 4 1sts and used them all. How do you cap it?
Feels like some GMs on here are just wanting to make rules for the sake of making rules and that’s all
NO GM-AFFL
TB GM-DFFL
2017 CFFL Super Bowl Champion-Bears
robroach

Post by robroach »

I voted no for this. I think the biggest issue here is the “integrity of the game.” There is a difference between rebuilding and tanking. There is zero accountability for GMs. I’m not completely sure how to fix this but some green light ideas come to mind:
We have 5 leagues. 2 of them are newer leagues. Maybe we should make all new GMs go to one of the newer leagues and earn their way into an established league. Also, maybe we should restrict all GMs to just one team in the established leagues ( having a second team in the newer leagues would be ok) and have a system where a GM could lose his/her spot in an established league if they under performed over a period of time or if their “integrity of the game” ever came into question. They would be demoted to one of the newer leagues and could earn their way back into an established league. This would bring about accountability and creative a more competitive atmosphere in FanGm.
Chad55

Post by Chad55 »

I voted yes to this, I wouldn't mind seeing a limit on how many draft pick's you can acquire or trade away. This would affect me drastically since I usually trade my pick's away anyway lol.
AFFL-Cleveland Browns
-2013 AFC North Champs
-2014 AFC North Champs
-2016 AFC North Champs
-2018 AFC North Champs
-2020 AFC North Champs

FFFL Jacksonville
-2021 Super Bowl Champs
-2022 AFC Champs
*Retired after 2022 season*
Onyxgem

Post by Onyxgem »

I voted no, this is for fun why start telling teams what trades they can or can't make?

If we going this way might as well say well can't trade your A or A+ players because doesn't happen very much in the NFL....
Last edited by Onyxgem on Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
stevebarrett24

Post by stevebarrett24 »

I did vote no on this but I wish people wouldn't full out tank. I believe it ruins the competitive balance of the league but feel they have the right to do it. For those that say this is for fun, I don't know how going 0-16 or 1-15 is fun for you, but more power to you. I took over a horrible AFFL Steeler team that didn't even have a GM for the free agency period. I went 1-15 and trust me it wasn't fun for me at all. My one and only year in the EFFL before I gave up my team to get an AFFL franchise I had a starting QB update from Ryan Fitzpatrick that included 0 TD'S and 7 Ints. I lost easily you would probably think. Nope I won by 50 points because the other team was so horrible I blew them out anyway that just should not be possible.
Last edited by stevebarrett24 on Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
DFFL-TITANS 111-17 15-6 126-23
13 10-6 WC (0-1)
14 14-2 DIV CHAMPS 2-1 R-UP OT
15 13-3 DIV CHAMPS 3-0 CHAMPS
16 14-2 DIV CHAMPS 2-1 R-UP
17 15-1 DIV CHAMPS 2-1 R-UP
18 13-3 DIV CHAMPS 1-1
19 16-0 DIV CHAMPS 3-0 CHAMPS
20 16-0 DIV CHAMPS 2-1 R-UP
tjbarnaba

Post by tjbarnaba »

I also voted no for this but wouldn’t hate something like the NBA’s Stephen Rule where you can’t trade your 1st in consecutive seasons or a rule in line with Sim Baseball leagues that require every team to make a pick. Could be ‘must make a 1st/2nd/or 3rd round pick or two 4/5/6/7s in every draft’

Again, this is only if we do vote for change. Would perfer we keep things as is.

Tanking, I had two ideas. One is the obvious Cap Floor. NFL already does this, we should never have teams with 100+ mill in cap space DURING the season. That’s just crazy. Second idea was after three years, if the GM has less than 6 wins, he has to reapply on the waitlist and plead his case for continued employment. Sure, more extreme but let’s have the fear of being fired restart some of these leagues.
2023 AFFL Champ
2019 AFFL Champ
2018 CFFL Champ
2018 EFFL Champ