Sooner or Later

With our nation-wide coronavirus situation, do you think we should start sooner or later?

Sooner
65%
Later
11%
Start when NFL draft starts April 23rd
24%

Total votes: 71

Goodell

Sooner or Later

Post by Goodell »

I can't decide if this is the best or worst time for league operations, so I wanted to get some feedback to see if there is a strong consensus.

I imagine some people have a lot more free time at home and starting up league activity may be a welcome diversion with perhaps more online than usual.

I also imagine some people are focused on other things or maybe dealing with situations (whether health, helping others or family care) that are so much more priority than an online game.

Let me know what you think.

Since the NFL draft seems to still be on schedule for April 23rd (although different), I had thought that might be a good time for us to get started ourselves with the high profile draft reminding people to come back. If I got on league finance transition to the new league year, it's possible we could start sooner if most wanted.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
Ben C.

Re: Sooner or Later

Post by Ben C. »

I'm in the minority apparently but I really would prefer to start later. My wife and I are both working full time from home right now with two kids under 3 that can't go to day care. If we start this up in the near future it's highly likely I won't be able to put in the effort needed to be competitive.
AFFL Arizona - General Manager
Regular Season Record - 174-66-1
Playoff Record - 13-12
AFFL Bowl Record - 0-2

2x NFC Champions - 2010, 2016
11x NFC West Champions - 2007-12, 2014-15, 2017-18, 2021
AFFL History
VinceO

Post by VinceO »

I have the opposite read from Ben, which is fine. There are multiple reasonable viewpoints and I like that you're taking the league's temperature rather than assuming and just charging ahead. I haven't had a day off since this started, and that's a big part of why I'd really appreciate having some league activity.

Different strokes for different folks, but I miss sports - and this might be the closest we have for a while.
EFFL Vikings
chiefbrody

Post by chiefbrody »

I'm eager to open things up simply to have a nice distraction and it is going to take a while for everyone to check in, replace gm's and set tags anyway. That being said, if things open up sooner than later, we don't need to rush into FA and the draft but getting a picture of the landscape for the coming season would be nice.
Denver Broncos - AFFL
JonC

Post by JonC »

chiefbrody wrote:I'm eager to open things up simply to have a nice distraction and it is going to take a while for everyone to check in, replace gm's and set tags anyway. That being said, if things open up sooner than later, we don't need to rush into FA and the draft but getting a picture of the landscape for the coming season would be nice.
This makes a lot of sense.
DFFL Steelers GM: '13-'22
Regular Season Record: 77-85 (.475)
Division Championships: ’13, ’14, ’19
AFC WC Team: ’20

AFFL Bills GM: '20-?
Regular Season Record: 20-30 (.400)

BRFL Chargers GM: '21-?
Regular Season Record: 17-17 (.500)
AFC WC Team: '22
sportznut

Post by sportznut »

I'm an electrician, so I'm home all the time, except for an emergency situation. I could use the distraction, and I'm hoping this league, and my baseball league will serve that purpose a little bit.
AFFL- Raiders
MLBSA- Tigers
WLSB- Marlins
kevinl

Post by kevinl »

I too have no work at the moment. Remember Mental Health is just as important as Physical Health. I think getting the league going will help people keep some type of normalcy in their life!
jmdaz44

Post by jmdaz44 »

I'm working from home in the middle of my living room with two kiddos and three pets running around. I'm also pretty sure I have Corona, though I didn't qualify to be tested (I tested negative for flu). I'm doing okay for the most part but believe me, I could use all the distractions I can get. Bring it on.
CFFL Houston:
2013: 7-9
2014: 9-7
2015: 10-6 - Wildcard (0-1)
2016: 12-4 - AFC South Champ (0-1)
2017: 11-5 - AFC South Champ (1-1)
2018: 12-4 - AFC South Champ (1-1)
2019: 13-3 - Wildcard (4-0 - CFFL Champions)
Knighty Knight

Post by Knighty Knight »

jmdaz44 wrote:I'm working from home in the middle of my living room with two kiddos and three pets running around. I'm also pretty sure I have Corona, though I didn't qualify to be tested (I tested negative for flu). I'm doing okay for the most part but believe me, I could use all the distractions I can get. Bring it on.
Oh no! Hope you feel better and recover quickly.
Brian Orr
AFFL New York Giants (48-51)(2-2) 2022, 2023 NFC East Champions
BRFL Washington Commanders (10-7)(0-1)
DFFL Miami Dolphins(103-76)(3-5) 2018 AFC East Champions
Jared A

Post by Jared A »

I honestly believe I had it in early February. Tested negative for the flu... difficulty breathing, dry cough, slight temp, entire body hurt. Doctor told me I had a cold and pneumonia. If it was a cold... it was a cold much worse than any I had ever had. Lasted 2 weeks... and was 4 weeks before I felt anywhere close to normal.