2020 Off-Season Update

Goodell

Re: 2020 Off-Season Update

Post by Goodell »

Still sorting through some of the lower graded players who didn't name match, but for the most part grades have been updated. Let me know if you notice any problems. Madden changed their grade page formatting and that presents possible problems with quick regular updates for all, but found a download to use this time. Hopefully we'll be able to do that each week, or just filter their site for changes to manually adjust individuals.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

I think I have a better solution to deal with some of the new CBA roster changes, such as teams able to bring up to 2 practice squad players up to the active roster for a game. We initially just changed the 53 man roster limit during the regular season to 55 to allow for 2 extra guys (of course we haven't had that yet as still off-season but a note about 55 roster limit on roster page), but thinking there's a better way that's more reflective of reality and makes things simpler perhaps all year long with the cap.

We incorporate the NFL's rule of 51 during the off-season so teams can have up to 90 players during training camp time but only the top 51 salaries count toward the cap.

Instead of stopping that rule of 51 programming during the regular season, thinking it'll work best to make it count the top 53 salaries (for the 53 man active roster) but allow up to 2 extra players (so 55 total) on the sim roster. Pay 53 but can have up to 55 during the regular season. That way teams up against the cap don't have to pay 2 extra players, and it's easier to deal with situations where some teams want the extra two and other don't and do we force everyone to or not, etc. It'll just be simpler where everyone still has to fairly pay 53, but you can have an extra two guys as you lowest paid players if you want.

It also makes sense to me if we're going to use that rule of paying only the top 53 all regular season that we perhaps just use that all the time. Instead of the NFL's rule of 51 during the off-season but then switching to a rule of paying only the top 53 during the season, perhaps we just leave it simply at 53 all year long for both the regular and next year's off-season.

Let me know if any issues or big objections to that, but trying to incorporate some of the new CBA/Covid things but trying to keep simple also.
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Draft picks from rounds 3-7 have been automatically signed. You can click to sign 1st and 2nd round draft picks now — if you have the cap space to do so. This doesn't apply to the BRFL who had contracts already set.

If you are in need of cap space, we add one extra contract restructuring for the regular season since it is difficult to create cap space during the season once players are getting paid. We'll add that leading up to the roster cut-down in September.
JonC

Post by JonC »

Goodell wrote:I think I have a better solution to deal with some of the new CBA roster changes, such as teams able to bring up to 2 practice squad players up to the active roster for a game. We initially just changed the 53 man roster limit during the regular season to 55 to allow for 2 extra guys (of course we haven't had that yet as still off-season but a note about 55 roster limit on roster page), but thinking there's a better way that's more reflective of reality and makes things simpler perhaps all year long with the cap.

We incorporate the NFL's rule of 51 during the off-season so teams can have up to 90 players during training camp time but only the top 51 salaries count toward the cap.

Instead of stopping that rule of 51 programming during the regular season, thinking it'll work best to make it count the top 53 salaries (for the 53 man active roster) but allow up to 2 extra players (so 55 total) on the sim roster. Pay 53 but can have up to 55 during the regular season. That way teams up against the cap don't have to pay 2 extra players, and it's easier to deal with situations where some teams want the extra two and other don't and do we force everyone to or not, etc. It'll just be simpler where everyone still has to fairly pay 53, but you can have an extra two guys as you lowest paid players if you want.

It also makes sense to me if we're going to use that rule of paying only the top 53 all regular season that we perhaps just use that all the time. Instead of the NFL's rule of 51 during the off-season but then switching to a rule of paying only the top 53 during the season, perhaps we just leave it simply at 53 all year long for both the regular and next year's off-season.

Let me know if any issues or big objections to that, but trying to incorporate some of the new CBA/Covid things but trying to keep simple also.
On the surface I like this as a middle ground fix and think it mirrors well.
DFFL Steelers GM: '13-'22
Regular Season Record: 77-85 (.475)
Division Championships: ’13, ’14, ’19
AFC WC Team: ’20

AFFL Bills GM: '20-?
Regular Season Record: 20-30 (.400)

BRFL Chargers GM: '21-?
Regular Season Record: 17-17 (.500)
AFC WC Team: '22
JonC

Post by JonC »

Goodell wrote:Still sorting through some of the lower graded players who didn't name match, but for the most part grades have been updated. Let me know if you notice any problems. Madden changed their grade page formatting and that presents possible problems with quick regular updates for all, but found a download to use this time. Hopefully we'll be able to do that each week, or just filter their site for changes to manually adjust individuals.
Looking through my own rosters:
Kelechi Osemele: 78
Dontrelle Inman: 72
Kenjon Barner: 70
Malik Turner: 67
Blake Lynch: 61
DFFL Steelers GM: '13-'22
Regular Season Record: 77-85 (.475)
Division Championships: ’13, ’14, ’19
AFC WC Team: ’20

AFFL Bills GM: '20-?
Regular Season Record: 20-30 (.400)

BRFL Chargers GM: '21-?
Regular Season Record: 17-17 (.500)
AFC WC Team: '22
MickeyD

Post by MickeyD »

Goodell wrote:I think I have a better solution to deal with some of the new CBA roster changes, such as teams able to bring up to 2 practice squad players up to the active roster for a game. We initially just changed the 53 man roster limit during the regular season to 55 to allow for 2 extra guys (of course we haven't had that yet as still off-season but a note about 55 roster limit on roster page), but thinking there's a better way that's more reflective of reality and makes things simpler perhaps all year long with the cap.

I definitely think that is the best way to go about it. I don't know how else we simulate bringing up players from the practice squad for games.
CFFL Bengals
DFFL Vikings
EFFL Giants
- NFC East Champions: 2021
FFFL Eagles
- NFC East Champions: 2021

Who Ya Got Champion: 2017, 2019, 2020, 2022
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

I have started to transition our team rosters for the regular season. The NFL's cut-down deadline is this Saturday, so we'll be seeing lots of NFL transactions soon.

Our cut-down deadline is September 12th before rosters lock on Sunday for week 1 NFL games.

All teams must pay 53 players fairly, but can have up to 55 players on the roster. That reflects the new NFL rules with 2 practice squad players able to be activated on gameday. From now on our team roster pages will always just count the top 53 cap values whether it is the regular or off-season. We've always used the NFL's Rule of 51, but just makes sense with the new CBA changes and extra active players to set it at 53 players all year for consistency and to avoid confusion. Let me know if any questions.

You can now cut players to the practice squad. We'll expand our practice squad limits to 16 this year, just like the NFL. Players can only go to your practice squad if cut and unclaimed by any other team. Don't claim cut players if you do not intend to have them on your 53/55 man roster, as you cannot add them to your own practice squad unless they've been on your roster more than 3 weeks after claiming. Practice squad players have no contract with you and can sign with any other team at any time, but you can match their offers to keep them.

I'll be working soon on adding eligibility for players placed on injury or suspended lists. You'll see a link next to their name once eligible.

Click the link next to your 1st or 2nd round draft picks if you haven't signed them yet. The league will go in and auto-sign those who haven't been and their teams have cap space to do so before the regular season.

Click your depth chart link from the team roster and update your offensive lineup for the new season.
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Now that teams can cut to practice squads, the free agency pages have players listed for practice squads also.
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Many of the players added to NFL's injured reserve list also made eligible for that here now. I'll keep adding them throughout the season as players go on IR. Here's a list I use to update: https://www.footballdb.com/transactions ... rtdir=desc
Knighty Knight

Post by Knighty Knight »

I have 54 active players on my AFFL Giants roster. However, it says I have less than 53 and I am being charged a $610k cap hold for an open roster spot.

I do not see this $610k cap charge reflected in the top 53 salaries table. I think it may just be an error in messaging since we updated roster size to 55 but wanted to make Goodell aware of it.
Brian Orr
AFFL New York Giants (48-51)(2-2) 2022, 2023 NFC East Champions
BRFL Washington Commanders (10-7)(0-1)
DFFL Miami Dolphins(103-76)(3-5) 2018 AFC East Champions