Goodell

Re: 2020 Season Update

Post by Goodell »

Week 13 has been simmed.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Week 14 simmed. Getting closer to the end of the regular season finish line!

For this week, keep in mind that we'll have some SATURDAY NFL games (BUF/DEN, CAR/GB I believe). So we'll be locking depth charts for players on those teams once their games start, so if you have any players playing this Saturday get in any depth chart changes for them before their games this week. Depth charts are unlocked now through Sunday morning as usual for the rest of the players.

Speaking of the end of the regular season, remember that free agency will end once we've simmed our last week of our regular season. That includes any other signings like LTC extensions. So if you have any LTCs left and want to use them (and have cap space to do so), you have to do that before I sim our week 17 games in a couple weeks. Remember with LTCs that they take effect immediately, ripping up the old contract for this season and making the player gets the new amount of money agreed to for this year and years to follow. There are no partial season discounts with LTCs. If they sign a 10M a year LTC, they'll get 10M this year also no matter what their contract for this year said before.

Players on your practice squads will become free agents in the off-season (they aren't under contract with your team), but they'll remain associated with your organization so you'll have unlimited bidding on them. But if you have cap/roster space and want to make sure you have some of those p-squaders under contract ahead you can just go into free agency and offer your practice squad players a contract to join the active roster and be under contract with you.

Let's finish up the season and have a happy (and safe) holidays!
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Week 15 simmed. Wanted to get that done early this week before the holidays. Looks like there's a Christmas game this week (MIN/NO) and some on Saturday (TB/DET, SF/ARI, MIA/OAK), so if you have players on those NFL teams make sure to update your depth charts for them prior to their games.

Hope everyone has a safe and happy holidays!
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Week 16 is simmed. Just one week left in the regular season!

A couple reminders. We use the NFL rules/tie-breakers/structure for the playoffs (including some changes this year for wildcard expansion). We'll post the playoff teams and seedings in each league after the last regular season game next week.

Free agency also turns off once the regular season is over. Once I flip the switch to week 17 and start simming games, the system will lock out free agency. That includes any other signings like LTC contracts if you have any unused. Don't know for sure yet, but expect that to be around Wednesday next week as we sim our week 17. But if you want to do any last signings, this is the last week. Teams cannot go over their salary cap or roster limit in those signings. All teams will have to be in compliance, and if any teams are over prior to the end of our full season I will reverse transactions or make other adjustments needed to ensure all teams set as we close the books on the 2020 season and get league finances ready for 2021 off-season in the months ahead.

If you happen to have a player who is being kept out of NFL games on a playoff team that already clinched their spots and resting starters, you don't have to bench them here. Their grades will still be used (so long as they aren't on injury lists otherwise) which is the biggest contribution for many positions here. For skill position players that are healthy scratches in those situations (and thus no stats that week), they'll get default updates that are better for better grades. And then those default stats are further adjusted up or down for QB/RBs based upon the strength of their team supporting cast versus the opposing defense grades as usual.
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

Week 17 is done and with it the regular season. Onto the playoffs!

There have been some NFL changes this year (and we go with the NFL playoff formats and tie-breakers). Because of that, I want to double-check the playoff seedings closely and make sure we're doing it right. Too tired for that late tonight, so will make announcements about the playoffs in each league forum tomorrow morning.

For the playoffs and injuries, if a player is on IR in reality they are on IR for us too. They are out until activated from IR in reality. We don't have any gray area or guessing games or subjective calls or favoritism or anything like me playing doctor and saying this guy maybe didn't have to be on IR if he was on a better team, etc. It's 100% the NFL IR list black and white.

Non-IR players have their injury status bumped up one level at the start of the playoffs. The only exception is for players still participating in the real NFL playoffs who get their real injury list updates from their NFL playoff team as usual (if they are in the NFL wildcard game their injury status will be whatever it is for that NFL game per official injury report). But if a non-IR, non-playoff player was listed as "doubtful" in week 17, for example, they would go to "questionable". Those "out" (if not on IR out the rest of the season) would be "doubtful". We do another injury bump up for the super bowl. Players who are doubtful get a 25% reduction in averages and grades. Questionable gets a 15% reduction.

The COVID list is a new (and temporary) situational thing this year. Players don't stay on the covid list for more than a week typically unless they actually tested positive and are sick. Players put on the COVID list because they were in contact with someone else and weren't positive themselves, would normally just be on there a short time and maybe miss a game depending upon when they were put on that list. If someone was just on covid list for week 17 because of contact but never were positive themselves, they wouldn't stay on that list for a month in reality all through the playoffs in that situation. I don't know the future for if we'll get covid list updates ahead, but assuming we don't for non-playoff teams we'll make our own common sense adjustments for players being off the list previously unless they were recently positive or out all year due to those medical issues -- since there may be no further NFL update on that for non-playoff teams.

I'll also make those injury adjustments tomorrow morning.
Goodell

Post by Goodell »

All the league playoff seedings have been posted in their league forum. To explain some of the differences more this year from the NFL changes, there is an extra wildcard team per conference. Also only the #1 seeds get byes (instead of both #1 and #2 in the past). The top 4 seeds are from the divisional winners, followed by 3 wildcards based upon NFL tie-breakers.

The NFL tie-breakers are kind of tricky so if you notice any issues let me know. I didn't have to use records in common games as much this season, but built a new tool that helps me do that quicker and also allows you guys to check that also without massive amounts of work. If you go to standings then your league tie-breakers there's a link for common games where you can type in the teams to check. It's kind of basic right now, but just enough to give what's needed.

After watching the NFL wildcard rounds this weekend. if you have an offensive skill position player in your depth chart (which locks when those games start) who played well in the real playoffs and you're in the sim wildcard round, you can reply to the playoff seed post that you want to use a player's real performance instead of their wildcard game seasonal average. You must post there before the Thursday night deadline stated on that seeding post.