Competition Committee

Goodell

Competition Committee

Post by Goodell »

The NFL has an eight member Competition Committee to "oversee competition and suggest rule changes", and I am realizing more than ever this year that we need an additional layer of management with a committee of involved GMs sharing some of the responsibilities for the betterment of all.

I hope to name a small group of Competition Committee members soon and there will be a private area on the message board for committee communications to more efficiently tackle the weekly work and league improvements. There may be SOME discussion about possible rules changes and league improvements within that committee, but I still want to keep our existing model of bringing those up for discussion amongst all GMs for feedback each off-season still and getting the thoughts of everybody before league changes.

This group would mostly exist to assist me with some tasks and ensure that the league doesn't suffer when I get too busy. There is so much more I want to do here (including expanding into new sports) but just really difficult to do with so many hours involved each week over and over just keeping the leagues we have now going, and sharing some of those tasks can free me up to move onto some of those other improvement projects. The committee will mostly help in:

- More organized weekly game update entry efforts (GM1 enter these two games, etc.) to sim games more quickly each week, which is going to be more important down the stretch with Thursday night games but also important in the early season when teams wanting to trade but can't with rosters locked until games simmed.

- Members have limited access to update player information online such as updating which players are eligible to be added to IR or suspended lists based upon NFL.com lists, real team associations when NFL transactions happen, or cleaning up positions noted. Also possibly helping with weekly injury/grade updates.

- Assist in notifying GMs when violations happen and gathering details associated with those issues for the committee, and monitoring team openings. Having another set of eyes on things and bringing up issues noticed or trades that might need comissioner review or further investigation.

The model since we started has mostly been me doing a lot of the behind the scenes stuff and writing scripts to help myself manage that with more systems and automation, along with trying to have a very democratic approach otherwise in terms of off-season polls related to rules discussions and making tools available to volunteers to help out as they wished in entering game updates, etc. And I liked that idea initially of me taking on most of the responsibilities and having all the GM players on a level playing field where everyone had the same say and was in the same boat, but with expansion into additional leagues and lots of other projects I haven't been able to get to here yet there's just too much involved and I need to better organize the volunteer opportunities to help keep things going each week with a small group dedicated to that.

I have contacted a couple GMs who have expressed interest already, and if others want to apply for that committee they can PM me too. But really want this to be a very experienced group that's been either involved in the leagues for a while to know the in's and out's or who has been very involved in the volunteer assistance efforts consistently already.

Thanks.
Official Statement from the Commissioner's Office